Feeling guilty because I dislike my MIL

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by blinks14, Jul 7, 2013.

1. blinks14

blinks14 The wine made me do it!

It's been quite a week around my house. I worked night shift the night before and night of the holiday. My MIL has been in town, she was at my house last Sunday, on the holiday, the day after. I generally dislike her. For a multitude of reasons unfortunately.
    Friday night my husband and I took the MIL, my BIL, SIL and niece out to dinner. At dinner my SIL took my niece outside to run off some of her energy and while they were outside the food came to the table and my MIL immediately gets frantic and goes outside to look for them. Well she didn't find them immediately and comes back inside freaking out on my BIL. My BIL explains this is normal for going out to eat. One of them usually eats a cold meal and they take turns doing so. My MIL is still freaking out at this point. I just ignore it. My SIL later returned with my niece in tow. Safe and sound.
    Yesterday my dog Bruno got into some dark chocolate and had to be hospitalized forcing me to cancel all plans, those plans again involving my MIL. We picked the dog up this morning and of course she had to stop by again. Ugh. I would like to spend an afternoon alone with my husband. She'll be here for hours. Guaranteed.
    But I feel guilty because I don't like her. I tried to. But I don't. I just want to be with my dog while he recovers. But I can't.

2. MissKim

MissKim ichthyophobic

Eh. I don't really like my inlaws either. Don't feel bad about it. You married into the family... you have to be polite, but you don't have to like it or them.

3. Heather Prins

Heather Prins Heather Prins

we haven't even seen of spoken to my inlaws in 15 years. Not since they felt my husband getting testicular cancer ruined their plans to go away to Hawaii. And while he was in hospital having the lower part of both lungs removed that were tumor filled they couldn't come sit with me for the 4 hour operation to see if he survived because it was a thursday, her bath night.

4. nun69

nun69 Active Member

I LOVE my in laws, but they don't live close enough to "just drop by"....maybe you should tell her that you would appreciate a phone call in advance when she is planning to come over because sometimes it just isn't appropriate to just pop in....;

5. blinks14

blinks14 The wine made me do it!

Well she's in town for 2 weeks. Normally she can't just drop by. But while she's here she does.

6. hslater

hslater Member

I definitely don't feel guilty for not liking the in laws!! I have my reasons and luckily my partner is in almost the same boat but obviously he feels he has to love them!! But they can be very horrible at times!!

7. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Do not feel guilty... there is NO RULE or LAW that says that you have to LIKE ANYONE, not even IN-LAWS (I checked!). My FIL married 3 times so I get 3 MIL, one (my husband mom) is a monster, the other one is so-so and the third one is only 3 years older than hubby so we get along.

8. AmaG

AmaG Born in the wrong decade

I agree with Dalis. You don't have to feel guilty; some people just don't mesh. It's nice to be cordial for the sake of your hubby's comfort, but guilty, no, I don't think you should feel bad.

9. ninigoesdigi

ninigoesdigi Designer

Whaaat? You are definitely better off without them. And it seems it doesn't bother them to not be talking to you for 15 years so they are double not worth being around. ;)

Jessica, don't feel guilty. You are certainly not the only one. Hang in there. It will be over soon ;) My in-laws are in another country and I think hubby is also glad about that cause there would be much more family troubles if we were in Korea... long story. It's tough on him when they don't feel well but usually I think he's glad we are not close enough for them to come... and so am I.

10. Heather Prins

Heather Prins Heather Prins

Crazy, huh? My son was 5 and now he's nearly 21 and we've since had a third child who they have never met. Yep, better off without them

11. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

My MIL spent a good 5 years trying to encourage my husband to leave me - I wasn't quite up to her standard (well, actually I was catholic and she hated that) but she eventually gave up. For some unknown reason I never really liked her after that... Tough having to put up with her for 2 weeks though - that can seem like a lifetime - good luck (counting hours off helped me when visits occurred) xx

12. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

You can put up with her... it's just a little longer.

13. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

I think that just because they are in-laws doesn't mean you HAVE to like them ... hell I can't stand most of my actual blood-related family let alone my in-laws ... I always say that even if they are blood you don't HAVE to like them :)

hang in there Jessica, she will be gone soon!

14. nun69

nun69 Active Member

hang in there and I am glad to hear that normally she isn't close enough to "just drop in"....my in laws learned the hard way when they dropped in my BIL and SIL and they were did not like what they "smelt" in the house LOL!

15. tuttle

tuttle New Member

Oh, dear. Do not feel guilty. I do not like my MIL. In fact, I would have anxiety attacks beginning days before any visit, both at her home & mine. Once it was so bad, I had ticks. So thankful that DH has realized why being around her is so difficult. He completely understands, supports & even defends me. We don't see them as much as we used to. The most difficult part is that DH does love her & wants to see her which causes some tension between us. We're both learning & growing together as we work & pray through this. I have read many books as well. Recently, I ask a friend to pray for me about my anxiety & to help me truly forgive her so that it would not effect the kids or be such a struggle between DH & I. It was answered!! I have no anxiety!! We have had 5 months of visits w/o any attacks!! I can be chat with her, be kind, work alongside, etc. But I still don't like her.

16. Roboliver

Roboliver I feel right at home at the Glitter Gulch!

OH MY Heather!!!! I wouldn't speak to my in-laws either if they did that. Hugs to yoU!!!

I go back & forth with my MIL. It seems that the more I speak with her the more crap I have to deal with. Thankfully, right now, we are on good terms. But the stories I could tell you! EEEKS!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013