February 2021 Book Club - Spellbreaker

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

The latest votes are in and we have some new books to read together. Yahoo!

The book for February is Spellbreaker by Charlie Holmberg. Just a note that this is one of the free Prime First Reads books for November, so if you haven't snagged it yet, go do it before the end of the month! Feel free to read our book club books in any order that you choose and when you've finished reading, come back here and tell us what you think. Please label spoilers or even type them in white like I just did right here(highlight that blank space) so that a person has to highlight it to read it.

[​IMG]

Just a note, anyone can read these books at any time and join in the discussion at any time too! The more the merrier! :agree

G.J. likes this.
  2. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

I just finished this one this morning. It felt a little slow at the beginning, but definitely picked up at the end. I liked Elsie. She was fiesty and funny and flawed.

Donitab and Karen like this.
  3. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I just finished this today and yes, it was so slow and/or complicated at the start that I almost returned it to the library.

<< I did enjoy it as it got going and Elsie had a wonderful character - a very bold woman for her time! However, the book just seemed to end to me - without a promise of a continuation of the story! ??? >>

4. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

I’m glad this thread popped up. I read the Paper Magician series a couple years ago and loved them. Excited to see another from the same author. Definitely adding it to my TBR list.

Karen likes this.
  5. plumdumpling

Definitely! This novel is a duology, so there is a second book called Spellmaker due out some time this year.

G.J. likes this.
  6. Karen

I just finished this at 1:00am last night (this morning?) and I immediately had to download the next one. What a cliff hanger. hmph

G.J. likes this.
  7. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

8. meganmecrazy

meganmecrazy Caution: Randomly Breaks Out into Show tunes

9. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I haven't downloaded the sequel yet, but I definitely will.

>>>>This was a weird read. It seems like they all have some sort of powers, so why did her family abandon her? It was sad that she was being used by the Cowls, but I'm glad that her guardian wasn't part of that group. Looking forward the next book.<<<<

Spoiler button still not working for me.

10. Karen

It's been awhile since I read this, but I'm totally guessing that her family abandoned her to protect her from something?

I did download the sequel but I haven't read it yet. It was on sale for $1.99 and I had a couple credits from buying a new kindle on Prime Day.

11. plumdumpling

I bought a Kindle on Prime Day too! I'm kind of loving it, especially when I read outside!

12. Karen

I know! Isn’t that the best? And they are so much lighter than books too. :giggle

plumdumpling likes this.
  13. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

14. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member