February 2018 Book Club - Little Broken Things

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

It's soon to be a new year and we have some new books to read together! Hooray! :) I am posting the next few months all at once, so we can all get these books on hold at our libraries in time. :) The book we will be reading for February 2018 is Little Broken Things by Nicole Baart. Please label spoilers or even type them in white like I just did right here (highlight that blank space) so that a person has to highlight it to read it.

[​IMG]

scrapsandsass likes this.
  2. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Requested Jan & March's from the library- but ours doesn't have this one- I'll have to keep my eye out or get it on my nook. One of my resolutions is to spend more time reading! :)

londoncuppa and Karen like this.
  3. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I totally thought the January book was this one. So while I was reading I kept expecting the things the synopsis talks about to happen in the Stillhouse Lake. About halfway in I understood the "problem". Lol!
    But yeah, I hope to read this one too. Sounds very interesting!

4. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

Guess I can start reading/listening to this one now. Yay!

Karen likes this.
  5. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

I am struggling getting through this one. I think it's the jumping from character to character. I find that to be frustrating if the story isn't also moving with them and I just don't feel it is. I'm barely halfway through.

bellbird likes this.
  6. Karen

uh-oh. I got this from the library a week ago and haven't even cracked the book open. Lol. Hopefully I can finish before it's due back! I'm hoping to start this weekend.

7. tinkerbell1112

The story is ok, but it just jumps too much. I like a story that I feel like it's moving forward. and I feel like every 4 chapters I get a different story. LOL. I just need to finish it.

bellbird and Karen like this.
  8. Karen

I just finished another book exactly like that. I was annoyed that they kept dangling this deep dark secret, but wouldn't actually tell me anything about it. lol!

bellbird likes this.
  9. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

ooo... I'll go look it up! :)

Karen likes this.
  10. londoncuppa

I’m about 1/3 through the book and am liking it so far. I still don't know for certain what the big secret is, and I just want them to get to it already, but I have a feeling that won't be revealed until the end of the book. I think I know what it is though (hey, watching years & years of Law & Order and Criminal Minds mysteries should serve me well for something). :D

I'm listening to the audiobook, so the switching between character perspectives I think is a little easier to handle because the narrator does different character voices, so perhaps it's keeping them delineated a bit better in my head than if I was reading the words.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  11. tinkerbell1112

I plowed through it last night knowing it was hopefully my last long day in bed with the flu. The secret was exactly what I thought it was from about 1/3 of the way in, so I think I was a bit disappointed they drug it out so long. I wouldn't say it was my favorite book of all time, but it wasn't bad. Though I'm really looking forward to March.

12. tinkerbell1112

Maybe that would make it better, but I still think the dangling got frustrating.

bellbird and londoncuppa like this.
  13. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

The library came through quicker than I thought they would. Yay!
    Great book!

14. londoncuppa

I finished the book Sunday and loved it. However, I listened to the audiobook, and I can see where that would make a difference with this particular tome since there is a lot of back and forth between who is narrating.

I was right about the secret. I think I watch too many mysteries to be surprised anymore by anything I watch or read. I do recommend the book. I thought it was great.

15. Karen

I started and finished this yesterday (the book was on loan from another library, so renewing wasn't allowed and it was due on tuesday).

I really enjoyed it! I think it's probably a good thing I read it all in one day so the back and forth didn't bother me at all. I guessed the big secret too, but that didn't bother me to figure that out for my enjoyment of the book.

semi-spoilers to follow: I really liked that even though Nora told Quinn not to tell anything about Lucy staying with her, I was glad she didn't go the route of making her hide in the bedroom and that her husband and her Mom knew relatively early on. Also, I wasn't sure about the husband for awhile... I thought he was going to be up to something shady since he kept disappearing to his art even after he knew someone might be coming for the little kid. End spoilers.

londoncuppa likes this.
  16. londoncuppa

Did you start this one, Berniek?

17. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I should! I’m kinda stuck in some other books and I don’t like any of them so there’s hardly any progress.

Karen likes this.
  18. londoncuppa

I really liked it. It isn’t a book I normally would have bought/read, but that’s what this book club is for IMO, and I’m so glad I read it. I give it a thumbs up! :agree

Karen likes this.
  19. tinkerbell1112

I thought so too about the husband :) semi spoiler: "I was glad he turned out to be a good guy :)"

Karen likes this.
  20. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

There are still 10 people ahead of me on this one...looks like it could be a almost summer read for me! I've had one or two recently that have had 20 or 30 people in the hold queue. sigh