Fast Five Reading|Pad Patter 8.25

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Aug 25, 2018.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I'm sure it's a busy Saturday for most of you with kids in the back to school season. And a busy Saturday for those of you with gardens and harvesting. And a busy Saturday for those enjoying the weather. And even if it's not busy, I have a quick Fast Five so you can get back to scrapping and shopping!

1. Do you read for fun or only when you have to?
    2. Fiction or Non-Fiction?
    3. Favorite Genre (No judgement here!):
    4. (Mostly) Paper books or e-books or audiobooks?
    5. Do you borrow from the library or buy most of your books?

Bonus Question: What's your favorite book you've read lately? I'm always looking for something to add to my To Be read list!

lmccandless, amien1 and umyesh like this.
  2. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

1. Fun
    2. Fiction
    3. YA/short in length haha I'm a slow reader ;)
    4. E-books
    5. Borrow
    Bonus: currently reading Winter Garden and like it so far (even though I feel like I'm never going to finish it because it's taking me forever).

bellbird likes this.
  3. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

1. Do you read for fun or only when you have to? Mostly Fun
    2. Fiction or Non-Fiction? both.. depends on subject
    3. Favorite Genre (No judgement here!): I like fantasy like HP or Twilight, but also like Patricia Cornwell Scarpeta novels :) Also books by Robyn Carr and Sandra Brown... I like books that let me escape.
    4. (Mostly) Paper books or e-books or audiobooks? Paper Books
    5. Do you borrow from the library or buy most of your books? Both.. I also purchase from library and donate to our library for resale.

jk703 and bellbird like this.
  4. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I had an unusually UNbusy Saturday.

1. Do you read for fun or only when you have to? Mostly for fun. I can't remember when I've read because I "have to."
    2. Fiction or Non-Fiction? If we're talking about ALL kinds of reading, including online articles and posts, I probably read more non-fiction. But if we're talking about books/ebooks/audiobooks my choices are 90% fiction. That was one of the reasons I started using Goodreads regularly a couple of years ago, including setting a goal for the year: to specifically increase my reading of fiction. I used to read it all the time but having young kids filled my life so much I had little time for reading.
    3. Favorite Genre (No judgement here!): historical fiction and true-life drama, also I want to read more biographies
    4. (Mostly) Paper books or e-books or audiobooks? paper until a couple years ago; now it's more ebooks and occasionally audio, too
    5. Do you borrow from the library or buy most of your books? Borrow. I love the library! I haven't bought a book in years, for myself. (My daughter has been collection Rick Riordan books.)

Bonus Question: What's your favorite book you've read lately? I'm always looking for something to add to my To Be read list! I just logged in to tell about finishing this month's Reading Pad choice, The Great Alone. I wouldn't call it a favorite, but it was very good.

bellbird likes this.
  5. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

1. Do you read for fun or only when you have to? it used to be for fun but doing all the readings while at university killed recreational reading for me
    2. Fiction or Non-Fiction? Mostly non fiction
    3. Favorite Genre (No judgement here!): Young Adult Fiction
    4. (Mostly) Paper books or e-books or audiobooks? Paper 99% of the time
    5. Do you borrow from the library or buy most of your books? Borrow from the library - I’m at the library at least every 2 weeks. I think I’ve had a library card since I was 2 years old.

bellbird likes this.
  6. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

1. Do you read for fun or only when you have to? Fun
    2. Fiction or Non-Fiction? A little of both, but mostly fiction
    3. Favorite Genre (No judgement here!): Historical novels
    4. (Mostly) Paper books or e-books or audiobooks? Paper books
    5. Do you borrow from the library or buy most of your books? Buy

Bonus Question: What's your favorite book you've read lately? I'm always looking for something to add to my To Be read list! We Were the Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter. I couldn't put it down.

bellbird likes this.
  7. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

1. Do you read for fun or only when you have to? fiction for fun; NF when i have to
    2. Fiction or Non-Fiction? see above
    3. Favorite Genre (No judgement here!): dystopia and YA (i read to escape adulting, i'm pretending i never really grew up)
    4. (Mostly) Paper books or e-books or audiobooks? because they are 'faster' especially at dobule speed on the ipod, audiobooks i can 'read' twice as many as the others while cleaning etc so probably half the books i read in a year are audio but at night it's paper or ebook -and audiobooks are good company for insomnia hours overnight
    5. Do you borrow from the library or buy most of your books? both, the e-library makes it so much easier - most of the ones i buy are second hand though through charity shops and bookfairs

Bonus Question: What's your favorite book you've read lately? I'm always looking for something to add to my To Be read list!
    - I'm a few hours into The Darkest Minds (which i saw is coming out at the movies soon here - i think it's already out in the US), pretty good so far - hope the movie is better than The 5th Wave & Divergent which were my fave dystopia series for ages but i thought were rather disappointing as a movies

bestcee likes this.
  8. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

1. Do you read for fun or only when you have to? Fun.
    2. Fiction or Non-Fiction? Both. I'll read just about anything.
    3. Favorite Genre (No judgement here!): Historical novels, true or otherwise.
    4. (Mostly) Paper books or e-books or audiobooks? e-books. I love my Kindle.
    5. Do you borrow from the library or buy most of your books? The Library.

Bonus Question: What's your favorite book you've read lately? I'm always looking for something to add to my To Be read list! I'm almost done reading the Poldark series by Winston Graham. They are true to the PBS series on Masterpiece Theatre. I'm almost done and I've read past the upcoming season, so I already know what will be happening.

9. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

1. Do you read for fun or only when you have to? For fun. I love to read! But I do have a BA in English, so I most definitely remember having to read "cuz I had to." :) When I graduated, I vowed that I'd only read for pleasure ... then I became a freelance proofreader, so my vow has been broken many times!
    2. Fiction or Non-Fiction? Both, but usually fiction. If I do non-fiction, then it's usually autobiography.
    3. Favorite Genre (No judgement here!): Hmm, lemme think. I guess fiction, but I love many genres! Sci-fi, "chick lit" (HATE THAT TERM!), "modern fiction," etc.
    4. (Mostly) Paper books or e-books or audiobooks? I prefer an actual book to hold, but I read a lot on my Kindle Fire, too.
    5. Do you borrow from the library or buy most of your books? Good question! Lately I've been buying, but I love to visit our local library. Libraries are awesome! Unfortunately, ours has long wait lists for "popular" titles, so I tend to buy those. If only I had better patience lol!

Bonus Question: What's your favorite book you've read lately? The Sound of Gravel. I read it last month--started it while driving to West Virginia on Saturday and finished it while driving home on Sunday. Nope, wait: I finished it about a half hour after getting home. I sat and cried and CRIED and needed to take a break while reading it in the car, so I wrapped it up at home.
    ETA: just walked into my room and realized

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    Sokee likes this.
  10. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

1. Do you read for fun or only when you have to? Always for FUN
    2. Fiction or Non-Fiction? Fiction
    3. Favorite Genre (No judgement here!): depends on my mood really
    4. (Mostly) Paper books or e-books or audiobooks? Paper
    5. Do you borrow from the library or buy most of your books? Library

Bonus Question: What's your favorite book you've read lately? I'm always looking for something to add to my To Be read list
    Year One By: Nora Roberts
    The great alone by Kristin Hannah

bestcee likes this.
  11. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

1. Do you read for fun or only when you have to? I read for fun when I have the time
    2. Fiction or Non-Fiction? Fiction
    3. Favorite Genre (No judgement here!): Thriller, horror, or YA
    4. (Mostly) Paper books or e-books or audiobooks? Mostly ebooks these days ad sometimes a good paperback :)
    5. Do you borrow from the library or buy most of your books? I buy most of them

The Broken Girls by Simone St. James

bestcee likes this.
  12. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

1. Do you read for fun or only when you have to? Fun! My "have-to" reading is for any of my many book clubs that I belong to.
    2. Fiction or Non-Fiction? Both
    3. Favorite Genre (No judgement here!): Hard to say just one favorite but I'll say romance and mysteries.
    4. (Mostly) Paper books or e-books or audiobooks? Any form but audio. I find audio annoying - takes so long. I can read much faster than listening to a book.
    5. Do you borrow from the library or buy most of your books? I buy more but I always have at least 2-3 library books checked out as well.

Bonus Question: What's your favorite book you've read lately? I just finished the latest book in the very cozy Aunt Dimity mystery series by Nancy Atherton - Aunt Dimity and the King's Ransom.

bestcee likes this.
  13. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

1. Do you read for fun or only when you have to? For fun (I love to read)
    2. Fiction or Non-Fiction? Fiction (Fiction based on fact is my favorite)
    3. Favorite Genre (No judgement here!): According to my Amazon matches - the genre they most recommend falls under Literature & Fiction.
    4. (Mostly) Paper books or e-books or audiobooks? E-Books
    5. Do you borrow from the library or buy most of your books? I have only borrowed one (audio) book from the library. I get a lot of them free on Amazon and now belong to Kindle Unlimited.

Bonus Question: What's your favorite book you've read lately? I'm always looking for something to add to my To Be read list! The Ocean Liner by Marius Gabriel

14. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

1. Do you read for fun or only when you have to? For fun! Thankfully, I haven't "had to read" books in years.
    2. Fiction or Non-Fiction? Almost entirely fiction
    3. Favorite Genre (No judgement here!): mysteries, historical, sci-fi and fantasy.
    4. (Mostly) Paper books or e-books or audiobooks? These day mostly e-books with the occasional paper book.
    5. Do you borrow from the library or buy most of your books? I borrow most from the library but still have a stash of paper books that I've bought on sale and want to read.

Bonus Question: What's your favorite book you've read lately?
    the Fortune Teller by Gwendoline Womack, also, The Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck. I could hardly put either of them down!

bestcee likes this.
  15. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

1. Do you read for fun or only when you have to? For fun. I could not NOT read.
    2. Fiction or Non-Fiction? Both, but mostly fiction
    3. Favorite Genre (No judgement here!): I am a binge reader and read many genres from classics to erotica. No psychothrillers and creepy stuff.
    4. (Mostly) Paper books or e-books or audiobooks? e-books and paper, but I hate audiobooks. I don't like being read to.
    5. Do you borrow from the library or buy most of your books? Buy or get from KU

Nothing lately, but one my favourite books is "Girl in Hyacinth Blue" by Susan Vreeland which i strongly recommend. If you have read "Girl with a pearl earring", it is a must read.

16. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

1. Do you read for fun or only when you have to? The last few years I was getting a 2nd degree so it was mostly "read bc I had to" ... happy to be getting back into the "read for fun" category! :)
    2. Fiction or Non-Fiction? Usually fiction
    3. Favorite Genre (No judgement here!): Literary fiction - also like memoirs, YA and every now and again a thriller/mystery
    4. (Mostly) Paper books or e-books or audiobooks? Lately it's all ebooks. I cannot stand audio books.
    5. Do you borrow from the library or buy most of your books? 98% borrow

bestcee likes this.
  17. shaynesgirl

shaynesgirl All I need is a pink Corvette!

1. Love to read, so definitely yes for fun!
    2. Fiction or Non-Fiction? I prefer fiction
    3. Favorite Genre (No judgement here!): Suspense, mysteries, a little sci-fi, romance
    4. (Mostly) Paper books or e-books or audiobooks? e-books and audiobooks although I have some paper that I can't seem to part with and will pull out to reread occasionally
    5. Do you borrow from the library or buy most of your books? Amazon or Audible primarily

Bonus Question: What's your favorite book you've read lately? I'm always looking for something to add to my To Be read list! Just finished listening to the Naked Werewolf series by Molly Harper. Definitely not award-winning, but laugh out loud mindless escapism is always appreciated.

18. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

1. Do you read for fun or only when you have to? Fun
    2. Fiction or Non-Fiction? Both
    3. Favorite Genre (No judgement here!): Cozy Mysteries, Biographies, Romance
    4. (Mostly) Paper books or e-books or audiobooks? E-Books with some paper. No to audiobooks.
    5. Do you borrow from the library or buy most of your books? Free e-books, e-books for less than $2.99 or borrow unless it is a book I REALLY want.

Bonus Question: What's your favorite book you've read lately? I don't usually favorite individual books but will end up liking series by authors. So my most recent series by author that I have liked is the Tourist Trap Mysteries by Lynn Cahoon

19. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

1. Do you read for fun or only when you have to? Read for fun
    2. Fiction or Non-Fiction? Mostly fiction with some non fiction thrown in
    3. Favorite Genre (No judgement here!): Mystery
    4. (Mostly) Paper books or e-books or audiobooks? mostly ebooks, sometimes Audio books
    5. Do you borrow from the library or buy most of your books? both

Favorite series recently read -- The Rev Clare Ferguson and Russ Van Alstyne mystery series by Julia Spencer-Fleming.

20. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

1. Do you read for fun or only when you have to? fun
    2. Fiction or Non-Fiction? mostly Fiction
    3. Favorite Genre (No judgement here!): serious international/expionage crime
    4. (Mostly) Paper books or e-books or audiobooks? Paper - I like the tactile experience
    5. Do you borrow from the library or buy most of your books? library

Recently - a current on An American Marriage, Tayari Jones