Fast Five Passwords | Pad Patter 10.14

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Oct 14, 2021.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Passwords. Passwords. Passwords. Ugh, they are so annoying. I mean I get why we have them, and why some places prompt you to change them, but it's annoying to come up with new ones! I know there are password generators, but if it's a site I need to be able to login on my phone/Roku and computer, I don't want an obnoxious password that only my manager remembers. But, since it's on my mind, I thought I'd put passwords on your mind too!

1. Do you use a password manager?
    2. Are you someone who changes passwords often or only when prompted?
    3. Do you write them down or just remember them?
    4. Do you have to reset passwords on infrequently accessed sites because you forgot it?
    5. Do you have a good system that works for you for passwords?

Feel free to rant or rave about passwords of course! And the data breaches that steal them and force resetting and changing passwords.

2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

1. Do you use a password manager? - Sort of - I let Chrome & Google memorize the non-critical ones
    2. Are you someone who changes passwords often or only when prompted? - only when prompted
    3. Do you write them down or just remember them? -I have a spreadsheet with site, account name, and coded pw for the accounts I use infrequently
    4. Do you have to reset passwords on infrequently accessed sites because you forgot it? - yes if my spreadsheet is wrong or I did not have Google memorize it.
    5. Do you have a good system that works for you for passwords? - for the most part. We tend to use previous pet names and a number and a symbol. The tricky part is remembering which variation is for which account. Hence the spreadsheet. My daughter uses a variation of: Pet-name is xx, where xx was the pet's current age.

I also have a throwaway password that is simple that I use on all accounts where I really don't care. It is one 3 letter word, repeated, then 1234. The tricky part is when a capital letter is required and remembering if I capitalized just the first word or both words.

bestcee likes this.
  3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

1. Do you use a password manager? Like Bev, I let Edge memorize the non-critical ones
    2. Are you someone who changes passwords often or only when prompted? Only when Prompted
    3. Do you write them down or just remember them? I have a spreadsheet with site, account name, password and answers to questions that some sites require. I also had the spreadsheet saved to my Dropbox account so I could access it if needed. No one would know it was my passwords by the name of the spreadsheet.
    4. Do you have to reset passwords on infrequently accessed sites because you forgot it? Not often but have in the past if I was trying to access a site from a different computer and didn't have access to my password spreadsheet
    5. Do you have a good system that works for you for passwords? Sort of. A lot of non-critical sites use a long used password or a variation of it. Critical websites, each have their own password. So if someone figures out one bank password, they still won't know another one. But those passwords are not easy ones either.

Just this week I actually printed out my spreadsheet and an exported list from Edge after the mess I had with my computer last Saturday. For some reason on a restart, Windows thought it was a new install and I lost all my individual settings and get this... it even got rid of my Office subscription. Had none of the software! Most of my desktop icons disappeared and my taskbar had nothing on it except those that Windows puts on. I also had nothing showing in my Documents folder. Thought I lost everything. I did find that all documents were still there, they just don't show up in the Documents folder (they are hiding in the Users directory). That spurred me to actually print out a lot of my registration numbers and password information. And, why, you ask... well, I had set up a few things but had to restart after reinstalling a software.... Windows thought it was a new install again and everything I had done was lost! I have also made sure that anytime I do anything that makes changes, I copy it to my EHD's. I don't want to restart the computer again until the tech guy I talked to on Saturday can come over while I do it. So right now I don't have my PSP installed since it was one of the programs I had set up and lost access to on the 2nd restart. And, yes I have run all kind of scans and it shows no problems. So about all I can do right now is surf the internet.

4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

1. Do you use a password manager? Yes
    2. Are you someone who changes passwords often or only when prompted? Usually when prompted
    3. Do you write them down or just remember them? I have a password book I picked up from Amazon, but the password manager is very helpful most of the time.
    4. Do you have to reset passwords on infrequently accessed sites because you forgot it? Yes
    5. Do you have a good system that works for you for passwords? Not really. I always say I'm going to update my password book and go through the password manager as well, but I never seem to find the time.

5. sharonb

sharonb Cher Memere

1. Do you use a password manager? I let chrome remember some
    2. Are you someone who changes passwords often or only when prompted? when prompted
    3. Do you write them down or just remember them? I have a spreadsheet
    4. Do you have to reset passwords on infrequently accessed sites because you forgot it? yep
    5. Do you have a good system that works for you for passwords? it's ok, needs work, but I am old! lol

6. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

1. Do you use a password manager? I just let Google or my phone remember them
    2. Are you someone who changes passwords often or only when prompted? Only when prompted
    3. Do you write them down or just remember them? Google and my phone remember them
    4. Do you have to reset passwords on infrequently accessed sites because you forgot it? All the time, when I try to log in from somewhere different
    5. Do you have a good system that works for you for passwords? It could use some work

7. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

1. Do you use a password manager? Yes, I use MSecure. My memory is terrible, and I don't trust Google, Microsoft, etc. to keep passwords secure. It's also good because DH and I both have access to everything through it, just in case.
    2. Are you someone who changes passwords often or only when prompted? When prompted.
    3. Do you write them down or just remember them? See #1!
    4. Do you have to reset passwords on infrequently accessed sites because you forgot it? I would if not for my password manager. I'd probably have to reset some of my more frequently used sites, too, especially if they required me to change it periodically.
    5. Do you have a good system that works for you for passwords? Only to record them as soon as I create them! I have learned that I remember them more easily when I do a string of random but familiar words broken up by numbers and special characters.

8. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

No, hubby is trying to convince me.
    DUH!
    NEITHER. LOL!!!!
    4. Do you have to reset passwords on infrequently accessed sites because you forgot it?
    DUH! See #3.
    NOPE, see all the above answers.

Feel free to rant or rave about passwords of course! And the data breaches that steal them and force resetting and changing passwords.

FLIPPIN' HATE THEM!!!!!!!!!!

9. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

1. Do you use a password manager? I have one, but only use it for certain passwords.
    2. Are you someone who changes passwords often or only when prompted? I try to change them regularly
    3. Do you write them down or just remember them? I have a "password book".
    4. Do you have to reset passwords on infrequently accessed sites because you forgot it? Not if I wrote them down.
    5. Do you have a good system that works for you for passwords? Using my book works for me.

10. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Pass word manager is my hubby. He has a good memory, mine is Swiss cheese.
    Google helps remembering too.
    We change when A site makes an error,or if it feels like it is time.
    Yes had to reset
    No not a good system for generating them.

11. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

1. Do you use a password manager? Nope, didn't even know that was a thing
    2. Are you someone who changes passwords often or only when prompted? Only when prompted
    3. Do you write them down or just remember them? Write them down in my trusty diary
    4. Do you have to reset passwords on infrequently accessed sites because you forgot it? Occasionally, yes.
    5. Do you have a good system that works for you for passwords? Not really, am open to suggestions.

12. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

1. Do you use a password manager? No but I should.

2. Are you someone who changes passwords often or only when prompted? Only when prompted. If I have to change too often then I'll never remember it.

3. Do you write them down or just remember them? I have most written in a small binder I keep in my office.

4. Do you have to reset passwords on infrequently accessed sites because you forgot it? Not often but it has happened numerous times.

5. Do you have a good system that works for you for passwords? My system (mostly works) but if I am away from the house and on my phone then my system is crap b/c the little binder is at home.

13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

we must be in sync b/cos passwords are my 'today's random frustration' - like i just was prompted to put in a new one and came up with, what i thought was, a good new one with all kinds of random caps and symbols and then it tells me it's too similar to an old password, and i'm like 'when on earth did i ever think of that before?!' - that is my main password frustration - that and when biometrics tell me ' no we don't recognise your fingerprint, put in your log in number' and then i have to reset that too!

14. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

No, let the browser remember if prompted.
    Only when prompted or (see 4)
    I try to keep on top of critical ones using One Note. I also use One Note for all my work passwords because there are DOZENS.
    Oh yes, all the time, especially for online shopping.
    One Note, although I guess this isn't really a secure method, but it's a page hidden within a multitude of pages within a multitude of sections (I love One Note!). For work, when I have to change passwords I simply add a number onto the end of the existing one so mypasswordeg15 becomes mypasswordeg16 because it's impossible to think of new passwords all the time!

15. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

i hate coming up with new passwords. at work, i have some that need to be 8 characters, some that need to be longer, they have to change every 3 months, they cant start or end the same, can't have two same characters in a row... it's like a puzzle, and I hate this particular puzzle.

what I tend to do now is to make a goal and then use the first letters of the goal words, or some combination of the words of the goal. I've heard you have a 50/50 shot of reaching the goal if you make it something you have to think about every single day... :giggle (I think that's true regardless of making it a password). But when I was training to run 10 miles for my birthday, and I had about 3 months left of that goal, my password was something like rUn10j@n or something. i don't remember exactly what it was... When we were selling our house, I had it set to something about the selling process. I've also used quotes from books, using this same first letter process.

I think this method helps to be sure they aren't easily guessable... I don't use a password manager and I want to remember them. I probably shouldn't make them all the same as I do. I hope biometrics help with security, because I love using my fingerprints on my phone, rather than typing in passwords. :giggle