Family Recipes | pad patter 8.9.18

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by GlazeFamily3, Aug 9, 2018.

1. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

How funny! A cool thought even if you're not going to make them, though!

Oh- I cannot wait to see them!

Bev- this is so cool! I have thought about something similar, especially since @Scrapping with Liz has beautiful templates for it... but I have never gotten around to it.

I vividly remember all the church cookbooks we had growing up. They got a lot of use, for sure! I make homemade fudge too (my family's favorite is my orange creamsicle) and I definitely must use a candy thermometer. I could never get the right temp otherwise and that is definitely necessary for fudge.

How cool that it is in her handwriting!

I love making spaghetti sauce, too! I feel like the one I make is so labor intensive though and it has like 15 ingredients, so I don't make it too often. But it makes my house smell so good when it's simmering.

THIS QUOTE IS AMAZING. I think I am adopting it lol. Also... what is Swiss-ghetti?

This sounds like such a unique taco pairing- definitely not one I have had before, but now I am intrigued to try it.

How cool that your dad was a baker! I have never had chruszchiki (I don't even know that I have HEARD of it before) but it looks really good!

Megan- this is cool! Is it a cookbook that's for sale or just one she prints fr family and friends?

I'm with you on Pinterest, Justine! Almost all of our favorites are from there. I have definitely learned a lot about cooking from Pinterest. And my worst family "recipe" from a child was salmon patties which were made using canned salmon. Soooooooo bad, but my mom did and still does love them. I remember as a child I actually hid the can of salmon to try and avoid having to eat them.

bellbird and Cherylndesigns like this.
  2. Sunberry2

Sunberry2 Full of secret tidbits

We don't have any true family recipes - my mom is always experimenting in the kitchen and changing up old recipes. We have our favorites but nothing has been passed down from before mom. What's really important is the time we spent in the kitchen as a family. I learned techniques from my mom, like some of the different ways to fold Chinese dumplings. And I let the kids into the kitchen to "help" which is really just about spending time with them.

3. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Oh my goodness, my mom makes so many yummy things that I don't know if there's ONE thing that is a recipe that we could call our own though. She makes AMAZING fried chicken and there's not a recipe for it. She just does it. LOL I mean, I've seen her do it, helped her do it, tried to do it myself. It NEVER turns out the same as her chicken, even when I tried to use the same frying pan and oil.

As far as me and my cooking, I'm definitely not a cook like my mom in that I love to cut corners and have shortcuts. My mom enjoys the process and being in the kitchen. I like to get in and get out. I think the fave meal that I prepare is simple. Chicken alfredo with steamed broccoli. My family goes ga-ga over my sauce and won't order the same dish at Olive Garden now because "it's not as good as yours, Mama." Which makes my heart swell with pride. LOL

Having typed all of that, I think that what my mother passed on to me about cooking was to be OK with experimenting. I've mimicked dishes at restaurants because of that, and they are so good. Having little to nothing in the pantry and still being able to make SOMETHING is part of a good cook's abilities, according to my mom.

bestcee likes this.
  4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Feel free to steal the quote.
    Swiss-ghetti Is a spaghetti casserole? With Swiss cheese. Here's my family recipe.
    https://m.plantoeat.com/recipes/134342
    You could make it quicker and easier by using a jar sauce if you wanted.

As to your spaghetti sauce takes awhile, have you tried freezing it? I make a triple batch of mine, and then freeze it in 2 cup quantity. (Three people size). It's super fast to thaw, and then I have ready to go spaghetti sauce that tastes amazing! And for company, I can pull out two bags. :thumbsups