Evening Meal | Pad Patter 3/15

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by littlekiwi, Mar 15, 2023.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Firstly what do you call it? Dinner, Main Meal, Supper or something else?

When do you typically have it?

What sort of things do you eat at your evening meal?

umyesh likes this.
  2. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Firstly what do you call it? Dinner, Main Meal, Supper or something else? Dinner

When do you typically have it? Absurdly late.....my mum doesn't finish work til 8pm and gets home between 8.30-9.30pm so I don't eat dinner until she is home and even then we usually end up doing all sorts of other things before finally cooking/eating. I also have equally wacky meal times the rest of the day plus I am grazing most of the day so I am certainly not hungry waiting for her to come home, it just makes sense to cook for both of us together plus its the only time I see her when she is working.

What sort of things do you eat at your evening meal? We used to be far less organized with our main meals up until just over a year ago when I became Gluten Free. Prior to that it was easy to prepare/prepared stuff from the grocery store such as deli made quiche, frozen pizzas, frozen fish and chips, homemade hamburgers using premade meat patties etc and occasionally takeout from my mums work or Uber Eats. Now most of that is off limits so dinner is now anything from meat and vegetables to stir fries, to grilled fish and frozen fries (my version of fish and chips) and lettuce wrapped burgers. If we are feeling super lazy and/or uninspired we have "egg scramble" - a couple of scrambled eggs with what ever odds and ends are hanging around (can be anything from bits of ham/bacon, onion, chopped tomato, bell pepper/capsicum, potato, sweet potato, pumpkin, baby spinach) or soup with gluten free bread

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
    BevG likes this.
  3. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

Firstly whatdo you call it? Dinner, Main Meal, Supper or something else?
    Middag :giggle

When hubby (or we) gets home from work. Usually around 5pm.

It varies a lot, depending on how I feel. Usually pasta/rice/potatis + protein + veggies and maybe some sauce. I love to cook, and try new recipes. Or just wing things from what I have at home. When we work late, I prefer to have a big lunch, and the we just make some kind of cheese platser in the evening.

4. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

When do you typically have it? between 6 and 6:30 usually - depending on load shedding.

What sort of things do you eat at your evening meal? I was brought up with a meat (protein), three veg and a starch. Unless I am doing keto that's what we aim for. When I am doing low carb, I have low carb veggies and forego the starch they have.

5. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I grew up calling the last meal of the day dinner, and have continued calling it that. Growing up it was usually around 5:00 because my dad got home from work about then and was either a meat/starch/veggie or casserole. I followed that, basically, until I had my second baby, who turned out to have multiple food allergies, which makes casseroles and other one pot meals more difficult. Also, my husband's work hours varied so much that I gave up early on the idea of eating dinner at the table as a family and the kids and I just ate sometime in the evening whenever it fit into our schedule. We also had their classes (piano, gym, etc) to work around.

Most recently, with the pandemic leading to my husband working at home and eventually me working outside the home full time, we have switched to him cooking all the dinners, usually around 6:00. At the same time, I have become vegan, but my family has not, so he cooks for them (or they cook for themselves, as they are ages 16 - 21 and feed themselves most of the time nowadays) and I make my own vegan meals. So they're still doing a lot of meat/starch/veggie or pasta or taco nights while I do my own thing. Actually, I frequently just snack (mostly healthfully) in the evening because I front load my nutrition everyday and I'm really not hungry in the evening. My biggest meals are breakfast and lunch.

My favorite thing to eat at dinner time nowadays is my deluxe avocado toast, which I probably make about three times a month. It's not just avocado. I spread some oily sauce like vegan pesto on the toast first, then top the smashed avocado slices with whatever veggies I have, such as onions, bell peppers (cooked or not), sauerkraut, and add nutritional yeast (the yummiest way to get B12 for vegans), and sometimes drizzle with balsamic glaze and/or sprinkle on some dried seasonings. It's different every time and so yummy. My mouth is watering writing this paragraph even though my belly is full of the oatmeal and walnuts and berries I just had for breakfast. :)

BevG likes this.
  6. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Dinner ... when my kids were young, and then when the older grandkids were young we'd eat dinner between six and seven depending on what I was cooking. Meals ranged from pot roasts with sides of mashed potatoes and peas to fish sticks/chicken nuggets and a side. It all depended on what we had going on in the evening.

Nowadays with just me, DD, and my youngest grandson at home we get take-out way too often. DD (47) and Chase (17) are super-picky and I am sick and tired of cooking dinner. Plus my DD usually refuses to eat anything I cook b/c she is contrary.

Growing up "dinner" was your main of the day. So if your main meal was at noon, it was dinner, and your evening meal was supper. If your mean meal was in the evening, then your noon meal was lunch, and your evening/main meal dinner. And then there's brunch (breakfast/lunch) or lupper (lunch/supper). Clear as mud, lol!!!

7. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Always called it dinner. Growing up it was usually around 5:30 or 6:00 depending on when Dad got home from work. He worked construction and some job sites were farther away from home so even with a quit time of 3:30 he may not get home until after 5. He always took a shower before we ate so that was also another reason for a delay. After he retired, it became a more normal schedule of around 5 or 5:30. Except when I worked 2nd shift or didn't get off until after 7, I also have always eaten around 5 or 5:30. These days I fix whatever I'm having so that I can sit down and watch a news program that I enjoy that comes on at 5.

As for what I eat, since I'm cooking for one, it is hard. I very rarely have a full meal of meat, potatoes and side dishes. If I do, I have meals for a week! One of my favorite meals is scrambled eggs with cinnamon toast. I've got a meatloaf thawing for tonight.

8. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Dang, now I want meatloaf ...

9. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

When do you typically have it? Between 6:30 and 8pm. My youngest daughter (18) works until 7:30 on weeknights, so sometimes we wait and eat with her. Other nights, we eat before she gets home and save some food for her to eat when she gets home.

What sort of things do you eat at your evening meal? We have tacos, gyros, burrito bowls, big salads with grilled chicken, quiche, seafood or homemade pizza. I have been dieting so I watch the amount of food that I eat, and we tend to have leftovers for my husband to eat for lunch the next day. I have a salad for lunch each day.

10. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

We call it supper normally or dinner

And we eat what ever... it varies on mood or day it can be anything from a casserole to pizza to take out. And also varies on time of day... when I was a kid it was always 5 pm on the dot...
    But now my husband works and his night schedule messes with his hunger so we tend to eat later.. sometimes 7 or 8... sometimes earlier.. so I'd say 430 to 8..lol.. somewhere in there .. lol... and anything goes for dinner..from breakfast foods to a huge 4 course meal. I do love to cook and when I do cook.. I cook

11. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

We call it dinner and we eat around 6-6:30 pm, when DH gets home from work. We subscribe to the HomeChef meal kit which takes care of 2 nights/week with a pretty good variety of meals. I'm partial to chicken breast, salmon or other lighter meats with veg, or pasta. We usually eat out at least a couple nights a week and do one night called "every man for himself night" where everyone just fends for themselves. When we do cook, our go-tos are shrimp with rice, tacos, chile, brats, steak, turkey burgers.

12. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Growing up - my mom called it supper so that's what our family said.
    After dating and then marrying my husband, his family and he all called it dinner. So now that is what we call it in our home.

When the kids were young it was between 5:30pm - 7pm when hubby got home from work, and then he or I cooked and we ate together.
    Now that they are 18 & 17 they fend for themselves most days, because they have those "teen" sleep schedules where they don't even wake up until 2-3pm in the afternoon and they don't like most of the things we cook. So normal times for hubby and I is around 6pm every night, except weekends when we don't work, then it just varies depending on what we have planned.

We eat pretty much whatever sounds good. I mean, we plan meals to cook, but it doesn't have to be anything specific. Sometimes we have "breakfast" foods sometimes we have more traditional "dinner" foods.

13. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

We typically have DINNER anytime between 5:30 & 7pm- it really just depends on what's going on in our crazy schedules. Sometimes not all of us are here for dinner due to sports & activities.

I use a weekly meal planner that we go through together on Sundays & figure out who is where which nights, who is making dinner & what we are cooking. We billet 2 17yr old hockey players- so we go through A LOT of food and they eat A LOT of dinner! lol

This was last week's:
    IMG_20230315_112638.jpg

14. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

This exactly for me too as I was growing up. These days we tend to use dinner and supper more interchangeably, but pretty much never call the midday meal dinner.

As far as timing, we very rarely eat together anymore. Meals are whenever we are hungry... the evening meal happening anytime from about 4:30 to 9:00. Everyone is on different schedules, so the "kids" mostly fend for themselves (we call this "scrounging"). DH is a bigger eater than I am and cooks way more than I do. He will usually tell me what he's making and will make some for me if I want. If I'm not hungry right then or what he's making doesn't sound appealing, I will just scrounge leftovers or a frozen entrée or something similar, or sometimes I just forget to eat. LOL On rare occasions we will cook something together that is more involved, but that probably only happens about once a month or so.

15. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Dinner or Supper. But mostly dinner.

We used to have a set time to eat dinner, but now it depends on whether Jay is working overtime. So we can eat as early as 5 pm and as late as 8 or 9 pm.

Spaghetti
    Roast with mashed potatoes, gravy + a vegetable
    Grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup
    Hamburger stroganoff served over rice or pasta + a vegetable
    Ham and beans
    Taco soup
    Taco salads or burritos or tacos
    Pizza + salad
    Pork chops, rice + vegetable
    Pan fried chicken, mashed potatoes + vegetable (love roasted broccoli with this meal)
    Hamburgers + oven baked fries
    Chicken and rice + vegetable
    Chicken and dumplings + vegetable
    Beefy Mac
    Hot dogs/chili cheese dogs
    Sloppy joes + tater tots
    Tater tot casserole + vegetable

16. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Firstly what do you call it?
    Dinner

My oldest likes to eat right at 5 so that’s what we do unless we have to plan around an activity.

These are our go-to meals lately: pasta, chili, breakfast casserole, waffles, pancakes, roast, tacos, burgers, grilled cheese, quesadillas, ramen, chicken & rice.

17. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

We call in dinner... or just din as my DS would say when asking what we're having lol.
    If there is nothing going on after school, we eat around 5 or 5:30. If other things are going on, it could be any time between 4:30 and bed time.
    I try to have good things to eat, but honestly I am so tired of trying to figure out what's for dinner I sometimes just say "fend for yourself" and call it a night haha.
    If I've planned ahead of time, I'll put something in the crockpot. Tonight it was chicken pot pie. Yesterday we had Fettucini Alfredo. Our usuals are subs, burgers, tacos (beef and chicken), spaghetti, and beef tips or cube steak and gravy.
    We probably eat out 2 or 3 times a week just because we're running around a lot.

18. tjscraps

tjscraps Tomorrow I'll do what I want to do

We mot often call it Supper, unless it's linked with some qualifier (Turkey Dinner, Sunday Dinner, etc). We eat about 5:30-6 most nights, depends on kid activities. The little one goes to bed 7:30ish so we don't like to eat too late.

19. meganmecrazy

meganmecrazy Caution: Randomly Breaks Out into Show tunes

Firstly what do you call it? Dinner, Main Meal, Supper or something else? Dinner

When do you typically have it? Depending on schedules. We eat anytime between 5 and (yikes!) 9pm

What sort of things do you eat at your evening meal? The things we make the most of are, taco, tacos, tacos, chili, salads, soups, grilled cheese & tomato soup, hamburgers, ham bbq sandwiches, grilled chicken w/ veggies, breakfast for dinner, and more TACOS :D

ArmyGrl likes this.
  20. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

Firstly what do you call it? Mostly dinner, but sometimes supper.

When do you typically have it? Between 6-8. I don't like to eat much later than that (unless it's a late-night snack!)

What sort of things do you eat at your evening meal? Lots of pasta; soup; tacos; baked potatoes with various fillings/toppings; sometimes a stir-fry; and often leftovers from dinner the night before!