Elements 15 question

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by Nemla, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I am just wondering if there is a solution for this ; when you add an element to the page ,even a blob of paint it always goes to the middle, sometimes several layers down, It is really annoying , but I just can not figure out how to get it to go anywhere else. Sometimes I move other things by mistake because I can not grab hold of it, and sometimes the layer order changes because I am fiddleing with it, and dont notice. Annoying when it is a text layer and the text goes on top of something... Any way is there a setting I can alter ?
    Also can someone please tell me how to make something only partly transparent ? Like the bottom of a dress fading out, or a solid element slowly getting more and more transparent ?
    I am tagging @cfile , because you always help me Christa, but I am thinking there are proberbly more than one way to do this, so any help would be welcome, thanks

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

How are you adding?
    I don't have 15 to check, but on 14 if I have the layer selected that I want the item above, the item comes in on top of that layer.
    For fading, you change an entire layer, opacity but it you want degrees of fading I prefer a layer mask. With a layer mask I can 'paint' on the layer and the darker the mask the lower the opacity, or less that is 'see-through'.
    I know other use other options for fading though, so there's a few ways to do it.

cfile likes this.
  3. Nemla

Thank you Courtney @bestcee , yes sometimes it works with selecting the layer that I want the item above, but about 25 percent of the time it does not, and seems to have a mind of its own. And it always goes smack in the middle of my page regardless.
    I will practise masking more, but I am not very good at it, it is not a natural go to for me, so I guess I am hoping for an other option..

4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I bought some masks and pull them off of templates to practice with. Like training wheels on a bike. It helped me get better at learning the masking by studying those options I liked.
    And when I'm in a hurry, I totally use pre made masks.

Going into the center is typical Photoshop behavior. Even PSCC drops stuff in the middle. I can get it to go to a more specific spot if I'm zoomed in, since it'll drop it in the middle of my screen view. I can't remember if it does the same zoomed in on elements. I can check on my computer later.

Nemla likes this.
  5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

@Nemla Vivi I was going to suggest adding a layer mask the the dress layer and then using a soft round brush on the mask just paint out using black to hide and just paint along the bottom where you want it to fade. You can change the opacity of the painting in if the mask .. change the opacity of the paint brush if you don’t want the paint at 100%... now re layering.. PSE15 unfortunately will always place items in the center as far as I know when you drag it in. Make sure your layer is selected of the item you want to move if it is underneath.. go to image>transfer >free transformation and then can move the item

layers.jpg

6. Nemla

Thank you both, :agree I will practice masking, and definitely look at the tutorials again Christa, it is just that for me it is not the first thing that comes into my head when I am sitting there making a page. I always look desperately for the transparency tool , then realize PS doesn't have one :cry (CraftArtist has an amazing one , one click and a drag from where you want it to start ,to where you want it to finish ) I will get used to the middle thing too I suppose, but I am going to try to enlarge my screen just to see if that works. I will remember to actually click on the transform tool, rather than just try and grab the object. :giggle

cfile likes this.
  7. cfile

@Nemla You can also do a gradient (transparent to black) on the mask of the dress to fade out too like my screen shot.. hope these help! I think the Transparency in Craft Artist is the gradient of transparent to black in PSE15) click the attachment to make it bigger so you can see it better!
    upload_2019-7-3_11-18-17.png

Nemla likes this.
  8. redplaid3

redplaid3 Just call me Zaley's Grammy!

@Nemla I have the same problem in PSE. I have learned that if I hold down CTRL while moving the new layer that I can move it out of the center, even if I don't see it. Then I can more easily get it where I want it. :)

Electra and Nemla like this.
  9. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

I agree- @Nemla...other versions didn't drop new layers in the same way. I used to be able to select the layer which would be directly below the one I want to add on- but it randomly works now. Totally unpredictable! Oh well. Just means a lot of dragging happening!

Nemla likes this.
  10. Nemla

Thank you I will try it all.

11. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I don't have PSE 15 (I'm using PSE 14 right now) but the dropping items in random layer order seems familiar. I think it was a known bug in PSE 15 that scrappers complained about and they fixed in the next release. The versions of PSE that I have used have always dropped my items in the middle of my layout,. But like Courtney said if you're zoomed in on your layout it will drop it on the layout in the middle of the zoomed in portion. And I would suggest the same masking and gradient techniques Christa and Courtney suggested for your dress.

Nemla likes this.
  12. Nemla

@redplaid3 Thank you The holding down of the CTRL button really works splendidly :dance
    @cfile I have tried the transparency to black, it is similar ( as long as I remember to make a mask first :giggle ) I think I must have a secret mask aversion :dizzy I always forget...
    I really appreciate the help. Thanks again all of you
    :bk

cfile likes this.
  13. cfile

Glad things are falling in to place for you... you just need to play more with everything...you used the CA for years so it is natural that things take time to start to feel comfortable for you but I will say you are doing great.. the masks once you get used to them you will love them.. they are great for getting rid of things you don't want ... you just mask it out, and you use it instead of an eraser so in case you change your mind you can fix it :) It really is something that you have to get used to.. I will admit, it took me a LONG TIME to use masks and once I got used to them they became my new best friends :) Have fun playing and experimenting Vivi and enjoy the process.. once you get used to it, you will LOVE it!!!