Electronic Picture Frame

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Iowan, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

I'm so bad about printing my pages (we are talking over 2000 un-printed pages here, can you spell L A Z Y?)

I think I will buy an electronic frame to look at my layouts. Do you have one? what size? any good features to look for?

I perused the web looking for a square frame, either 8" x 8" or 12" x 12" but did not see anything like that.

I appreciate your help.

:photo

2. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I had a smaller one, Carol, and because it was a 4x6 or 5x7, it was hard to view my layouts. I've never found a square one.

I have found that making a slideshow and using it on my TV screen works the best for our family.

Sorry I'm not much help!

keepscrappin likes this.
  3. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

bhaha..I have one and I put my save for web ones on it...they are a bit squished, but my boys will lay in front of it for hours and watch! it is letter size. sideways...
    I update it every 3 months or so...but don't tell them. It is on random and when a new page comes up...they get so happy!

4. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I need to watch this thread. I bought an electronic frame many, many years ago and still have never used it. It's sitting in a drawer collecting dust. I had intended to showcase my 11x8.5 layouts in it, but that never happened. I never got around to figuring out what size they needed to be to show well in the frame. Let alone put them on a USB or flash drive. The display is kinda weird sized at 6.25 inches wide and 4.75 inches tall. It says it's a Pandigital frame. Maybe I'll quickly throw a couple of old 11x8.5 web-sized layouts on a USB drive and plug it in and see what happens. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised. I'll let you know what I find out.

Iowan likes this.
  5. Iowan

Good Idea. I have my computer monitor set for seasonal slideshows but I have never set up my TV, I really need to do that. It would be nice to have it showing layouts during the holidays.:agree

gonewiththewind and keepscrappin like this.
  6. Iowan

the grand kids only see a smidgen of the layouts I make, I bet they would be captivated too.:angel

keepscrappin likes this.
  7. Iowan

Yep, get it out of the drawer, time to load those Christmas layouts.

keepscrappin likes this.
  8. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Ok I just tried it on a few and it works great! Thanks for the push @Iowan Carol! I can't believe I've let it sit in that drawer for so long. I'll have to pull out the old EHD that has my 11x8.5 layouts on it and copy some over to a USB drive. That'll be fun for the kids to look at. This frame is so old (like 6 or 7 years old) that you have to use buttons to maneuver through the menus. One with a touch screen would be awesome and square would be good for my layouts now that I've quit doing the grandma books at 11x8.5. I wonder, just wonder what a 24x12 (double) layout would look like on one of these frames. @AnneofAlamo have you tried showing a double page layout on your frame? It'd be really small on mine, but I might give it a try if I can find a double layout in my stash, I haven't done too many of those for a while.

jk703 and Iowan like this.
  9. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I have an old 5 x 7 one for my photos but I think its a bit small. DD has asked for and 8 x 10 one for Christmas. I can't believe I never thought of showcasing my layouts there though!

Iowan likes this.
  10. LynnG

LynnG Designer

I bought one for this purpose, which was advertised as 10". I was hoping that would mean I could put an 8x8 picture frame in front of it to create an 8 x 8 way to showcase my layouts. But when it arrived it was 10 x 7 ie very panoramic grr. I still want to do this at some point. I saw a square 8 x 8 frame advertised intended for instagram photos but it was so popular it sold out.

Iowan likes this.
  11. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I am not so good at printing layouts, but I have a couple of digital frames in the house and I use them exclusively for my pages :) Mine are both square, but I couldn't tell you where they came from, I've had them so long. If I come across them, I'll let you know. But I load up big memory cards, pop them in, and my pages play continuously in the living room and office.

keepscrappin, Iowan and Juliestcyr like this.
  12. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

keepscrappin and Iowan like this.
  13. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

I found this online: http://instaframeshop.com/
    I checked Amazon but didn't see it listed ... I used to have a digital frame and don't even know what happened to it - that was before grandbabies ... now I could really enjoy one I think!

Iowan likes this.
  14. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I saw that one originally... but I don't think they are in business anymore! :( It would have been perfect!

Iowan likes this.
  15. HeyJude

HeyJude Professor of Digital Wizardry

I so want to get one of these to put animated layouts on (like Harry Potter's photo of his parents). Most of them do not support GIF files, but many of them do support videos. Definitely on my "I want for Christmas" list. :)

keepscrappin and Iowan like this.
  16. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I'm totally hoping someone has a good one! We tried two different ones for my mother in law, and one was crappy, the other was so complicated I had issues. The third required photos to be in such a small size it was ridiculous! Like my save for web, under 250kb layouts were too big. It went back too. And then I forgot about getting another one!!

Iowan likes this.
  17. Iowan

@LynnG I just checked it out too, I looked at the cube but it had a bad review and the viewing area was pretty small. It would be perfect for those Instagram photos.

@IntenseMagic I think you got the last two out there!! :pffft I couldn't find a green with envy smilie.

18. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

this is a totally happy making post! i can just imagine your boys with their heads sideways watching

Iowan likes this.
  19. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I had a couple digi-frames about a decade ago, but I was SO bad about updating pictures in them. Partially it was because the pictures had to be resized down, so I had to resize everything before I'd put new ones on the memory chip, and partly because I got attached to the pictures that were in there. Lol.

I have said for years that someday, someone is going to get smart and make a digital scrapbook frame. It'll be a 12x12 book size that opens up with a double spread inside and will hold ALL the scrapbook pages in one book. Anyway, I'm still holding out for that, but in the meantime I quit printing separate books for my boys because by the time they want to look at their scrapbooks, everything should be digital for them.

JillW, jk703 and Iowan like this.
  20. Iowan

@Karen This would be PERFECT. We need to contact the manufacturers! :agree

Karen likes this.