EHD recommendations

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by mrspotts, Apr 8, 2020.

1. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

Hey friends!

I have a laptop that I would like to have a portable EHD to use with it. I would back the portable EHD up to a Desktop EHD regularly. Im looking for opinions on portable Solid State Drives vs standard portable EHD. Ive seen the portable SSD marketed towards photographers but wanted to see if any scrappers had opinions about them.

Thanks!

2. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

Solid state!! Yes yes yes!
    I lost an ehd and had backblaze yeah me!!
    They sent my back up on a solid state ehd. It was amazing. I could have kept that one, but it was expensive. I got one online from amazon for half price. I love it

3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Currently I'm still using regular EHDs. I used to only use Western Digital, but when I upgraded to a 4TB version a couple year ago it was a lot slower for some reason. I then bought a Seagate 4TB and it was much faster. I've had both brands for smaller versions and never had any speed issues, so I thought that was just weird.

I've been eyeballing the SSD EHDs lately too. I'm intrigued, but they are a lot more expensive, so I'm waiting on that for now. I don't need a new one currently as I have lots of space left on mine right now, but I often like to get a new one at least every two years BEFORE the current one goes bad.

4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I haven't purchased a SSEHD but I did upgrade my laptop to a 1TB SSD. I looooove it! (I thought my laptop had room for a second drive and the plan was to buy a second SSD to use as an internal backup, but when we opened up the case, there was only room for one drive. *shrug*) But for now, I'm happy with BackBlaze, Amazon Prime Photos, and my 4 boring, regular EHDs lol as my backups. Having said that, like Karen said, once those external Solid drives go down in price, I'll pounce! :)

I have both WD and Seagate and I like them both, though I seem to have better luck with WD. I have a portable Toshiba 2TB EHD that I love. It writes really quickly. It's getting rather full IMO, though, so it might soon be time to get a new one ... Oh, perhaps I'll put a solid external on my birthday wish list?

Karen likes this.
  5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I have 2 Seagates - they're very small. One has 500G on it and the other one has 2T on it. I keep different things on each one. I just got a new laptop and it came with a 1T EHD. The brand is ADATA, which I've never heard of, but it was part of the package. I didn't really need it, but they're always good to have.

I just looked at one like mine on Amazon and there's about $50.00.

seagate-resized.jpg

6. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I'm definitely going to check out a SSEHD for my next EHD. I had two EHDs go on me within two weeks. Both had different archived supplies on them so I lost them all - one was a WD and one a Maxtor. Currently I have a Verbatim EHD which I use just to archive older supplies again and copy a few documents. I use Carbonite to back up my main computer and was very thankful for it when my desktop died on me four years ago.

7. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

FYI - SSD do not have the best re-use of disk space -- remember that de-fragmentation program we used to run many eons ago? So they are best used for storing things that you won't be changing much. In a computer, that means your programs go on it. As an external drive, storing your artwork or pictures would work great, because we rarely delete the older stuff. :hehe

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  8. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I pretty much use mine for storage. My older stuff is just so much easier to find if I store them on my EHD's. Back in the old days, I had all of that on discs.

BevG likes this.
  9. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I have a Type-C EHD, which is much faster at retrieving, but it's still not SSD. Like everyone else, when the price lowers, I'll have to invest. You know, just because. LOL

10. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Tell me more.
    The bunnies ate my EHD plug in cord. We bought a replacement. Nope. So I think they cut active power to the EHD. :gun
    On the bright side, I get a new EHD. And Backblaze is sending me my data. I don't think I want an SSD right now for this drive. But I hadn't heard of the USB-C thing!

11. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

The USB-C allows for speedy transfer of files. That's about all I remember of the tech details the geek at Best Buy shared when I got my new computer. LOL

The one I have is this one:

[​IMG]

mom2jackaia and bestcee like this.
  12. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

Thanks for all the input friends! I think I'm going to just stick with a portable EHD. Honestly my current portable EHD only died because my kids kept accidentally bumping the usb plug and bending it. No solid state...yet. It just sin't cost effective for me.

bestcee likes this.
  13. LynnZant

LynnZant Well-Known Member

I've had three Seagates and WDs fail on me. That being said, I got a 2TB of this one sent to me with my recovered data from a service:
    https://www.securedrive.com/product/backupdrive
    I guess it can auto sync to a cloud. I use One Drive now and it clouds things right away and automatically. It's wonderful for someone like me who keeps putting off backing up things.

14. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Those "dead" EHDs? Check the cord. I have gone through several of the cords from being bumped or who knows. If you have multiple EHD, try a cord from another EHD. That is how I found out it was a cord problem. BTW- my $6 replacement cord is now dead too, so I just swap cords around.

And yes, if your EHD is falling out of the back of the van and you grab it by the cord but it falls out, it does break when it hits the pavement. Always have multiple backups in multiple places.

bestcee likes this.
  15. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Oh horrors!!! That sounds like a very bad, no good, awful day. :faint2