EHD crash :(

Discussion in 'MOC 2023 - Coming Home' started by tjscraps, Jan 24, 2023.

1. tjscraps

tjscraps Tomorrow I'll do what I want to do

I was a few days behind on MOC but thought I'd be able to catch up ... then this weekend my EHD started clicking ... and then died like an hour later.

I have everything backed up, but it's going to take awhile to get the recovery files from Backblaze and get my Photos library set back up. We leave for Disneyland on Monday, and I was hoping to do all the challenges up to that day (missing the very last one), but now it looks like I won't be able to finish.

Darn it!!

2. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Noooooo! I’m so sorry about your EHD but yay for a backup plan! I hope you can still be happy with what you’ve already accomplished for MOC. Enjoy Disneyland!

tjscraps likes this.
  3. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Oh no, what awful timing though I know there is no great time for an HDD/EHD failure

tjscraps likes this.
  4. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

so sorry, hon

tjscraps likes this.
  5. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I'm glad you have everything backed up, but what a bummer! Have a great time in DL!

tjscraps likes this.
  6. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I am so sorry. My EHD crashed in October. I can feel your pain. I had attempted a backup of my system before it all went south. But the backup, after cranking away for over 24 hours, came back with an error and would not complete. I too, had Backblaze. Their backup disc arrived in a couple of days. By the time I was fully functional, including learning the differences between Windows 10 and Windows 11, two weeks had gone by. Good luck.

tjscraps likes this.
  7. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

8. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Well that just stinks! Sorry about the bad timing during MOC! You must have been working it too hard. Lol. SO glad to hear you have a backup of everything at least, but what a pain to get a new drive all set up.

tjscraps likes this.
  9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Oh no!! I'm glad you have a backup at least.

Maybe it's an excuse to purchase a kit of two and just use those to catch up? Drat the timing!

tjscraps likes this.
  10. BLKinOR

BLKinOR Well-Known Member

Have a great time on your trip, by the time you return, you should have all the pieces available to begin recovery. Best of luck with this.

tjscraps likes this.
  11. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

Oh no!!! That's horrible. :(

tjscraps likes this.
  12. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Oh no! At least you have Disneyland to look forward to.

tjscraps likes this.
  13. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

X2 EHD crashes = 100% cloud based storage now. I have lost many, many kits and layouts.

May the force be with you!

tjscraps likes this.
  14. tjscraps

tjscraps Tomorrow I'll do what I want to do

How do you do that when you're scrapping, if it's all cloud based? Interested!

Thanks everyone - finally got my data, and it's all set up but with us leaving tonight I won't have a chance to catch up. But I still have 19 pages I love, which is still pretty darn good for a month of scrapping! :)

norton94 likes this.
  15. norton94

norton94 Thank goodness I'm still a Well-Known Member

Have a great trip - I'm glad you got your data!!! Bottom line that's the most important

tjscraps likes this.
  16. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

I have iCloud storage (iCloud Drive). All of my kits are stored there as well as layouts. The cloud drive functions just like an external hard drive....there is an iCloud folder I access. I see everything just as if were on an EHD. Things flow freely from the cloud to the Photoshop...I just click and drag (or file-->open). Saving layouts is the same. I just select the iCloud Drive and folder within the cloud.

Pros - EVERY device I have from my iPhone to iPad to computer all have the same iCloud. I can see and use any kit from my phone, iPad (Procreate), and computer.

I am able to keep my hard drive relatively free...just installed apps take up space on the HD.

Cons - if wifi goes down, I cannot access my iCloud Drive from my iPad or computer (unless I use my phone as a hot spot and work off of cellular data).

Monthly Costs.

All in all, I have seriously lost thousands $$ in kits and lost many layouts. I find cloud computing to be a worthwhile investment. So far, I've only had one issue with our AT&T internet...and that was reasonably resolved within 24 hours.

Obviously I am an Apple user. But there are other options from Dropbox to Amazon AWS and Google cloud.

spcoggs and tjscraps like this.
  17. tiffany scraps

tiffany scraps still plays outside

Just signed up for the 14 day trial - which will then be followed by a yearly subscription. I think I have been taking my chances for way too long!

18. designbylime

designbylime Definitely a cat person.

I also had Icloud but lost almost every photo from 15 years back in a crash from their part and since I didn't checked since fall so they couldn't get the photos back. Thanks heaven for all my backups at home on other HD. I was devastated and I didn't get any help from Apple. It's of course different when you use your cloud every day.

19. spcoggs

spcoggs Well-Known Member

Ugh, I so feel this. My EHD with all my kits, pages, and photo edits died without warning mid-January. I was in shock. Looking into recovery companies to see if any chance to salvage it. I'm kicking myself for not backing up sooner. I saved a bit from an older EHD and amazingly my Trash folder on my MacBook (total miracle I didn't fully delete it and it all copied over when I got a new laptop in November). I'm still figuring out what I lost aside from my early MOC 23 pages. :( Most pages I feel like I can recreate - it's the lost time and lost kits that really got me down.

I ordered a new EHD from Amazon immediately. Also started using iCloud. I'm not sure why I wasn't before. I've been paying for it for years. Small amount initially, but upgraded last year to the 2TB plan to cover our multiple Apple devices. Why I didn't think to use it sooner? *face palm* Lesson learned (I hope LOL).