Dynamic Brush?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by Tiff, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Tiff

Tiff I don't need no stinking playlists!

I was just doing some organizing of my purchases and saw this.
    How do they work? Will they work in PSE 15?

_APennington_ResplendentDB1.jpg

2. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Glad you asked @Tiff ! I have a few of those and never got around to checking how to use them. :blush

3. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

I don't have those brushes so I am just guessing, but I imagine it is a brush preset so you can drag the brush across your page and create that effect. The brush is actually one "xo" or one heart and by using the preset it creates that dynamic scatter effect.

But again, this is only my guess.

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  4. cookingmylife

I think it's best to ask Allison as I don't see them in the store to check which programs they work with. I like it when designers put that info on their product page as we scrap with so many versions of software. @AllisonPennington

But I like to SEE how they're used and as soon as I saw this video I remembered why I had difficulty with dynamic brushes years ago. Too many choices for me when I was new-er.

5. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

That's what I was thinking too

6. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Tagging @AllisonPennington so she can answer this for you.

AllisonPennington likes this.
  7. Tiff

Ok, I went ahead and gave it a try. The brush loaded just fine in PSE 15. Here are two passes of the brush, with different colors as the foreground color. I think if you want the multi-colored effect (like the preview above) you need to swipe the brush across multiple times.

I think these are really fun! I've never played with brushes much, but I think this is a fun way to start. I'd love to see more of these included in kits! (For us who don't have the time to really delve into the settings ourselves).

Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 10.22.37 AM.png

And in the brush selection drop down, it actually shows the brush as dynamic, not just a single image:
    Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 10.28.39 AM.png

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  8. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

@Tiff Did you use white as your background color? Possibly you might achieve a multi colored effect by changing the background color to a darker or lighter version of the foreground color (or something different altogether).

9. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

Those are fun brushes! I hadn't seen them before. :)

@Tiff I don't have PSE, but according to this page at least some versions have "hue jitter" in the brush settings. If you have that option, you can set it so that the brush will randomly switch between the foreground and background colors as it stamps.

Below is an image from a single stroke with one of the default Photoshop brushes. I bumped the hue jitter to 100% and set the colors to a bright red and a bright lime green. As you can see, some of the leaves are red, some are lime green, and some are in-between colors.

leavesbrush.jpg

Attached Files:

10. Tiff

@Rikki @KimJ I don't remember what my foreground and background colors, but I'll play around the next time I scrap. Thanks for the tips!

KimJ likes this.
  11. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

I discovered how these work by accident a couple months ago.

It is the "hue jitter" setting you want to play with. It should be accessible under settings in your tool box pane at the bottom of the page.

12. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Oh how cool! I've played around with scattering brushes before but I didn't know that Hue Jitter was a thing! I can't wait to play. Super fun brushes Allison!

KimJ likes this.
  13. cookingmylife

As long as I've been scrapping (2008/9) I have yet to see dynamic brushes and their settings discussed with a tutorial on any of the sites I've been on. Just interesting that.

14. AllisonPennington

AllisonPennington Queen of the Realm

@Tiff Sorry!! I've been offline most of the weekend. I don't have PSE but I'm guessing you just have to re-select the hue jitter options like Kim said (in PS they should load with those selected). You can make a dynamic brush with any of the stamps, too, which is cool.

Thanks for helping in my absence, everyone!! <3

15. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

hmmmm..... how did I miss these. I will grab them ASAP, because OMG, they are so cute. I don't have PSE anymore, but if I remember correctly you do have to select the hue-jitter option and you can modify this in this or ANY kind of brush. When you use these kind of brushes you want to use your mouse like it's really a painting brushes and kind of swipe around the page. Does that make sense instead of just clicking once. So it's click.....(still with the button down) swipe across the page.

16. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

For those of you looking for this set, it is still in there store, the preview looks a bit different because @AllisonPennington always gives you way more than you think you are buying. I have learn that with her you have to look at all the extra amazing stuff you get in all the previews. XOXO

[​IMG]

17. Tiff

Yes! PSE 15 has the Hue Jitter in the Brush Settings. I never even knew about that setting! I knew you could make the brush scatter, but I didn't know that you could do the color effect. Thanks, everyone!
    Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 8.49.19 PM.png

bestcee, Karen, KimJ and 1 other person like this.
  18. AllisonPennington

AllisonPennington Queen of the Realm

Nicely done!! You make me want to make more brushes!! :)

bestcee, Karen and KimJ like this.
  19. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I love those! I need to add them to my wish list!

20. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I thought dynamic brushes were more like helping with lighting around the page... Mommyish has some "dynamic stitching" options. I also didn't think they worked in pse. Maybe just not mine... I have 12. But i guess I'll be reading into it more!