DYD Inspiration Round Up | 6 x 8 Layouts

Discussion in 'Document Your December Layouts' started by IntenseMagic, Nov 9, 2017.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I am so excited for DYD! I think it is my favorite project of the whole year! And one of the reasons that I love it so, is because I found a way to do it that works for me. A way that keeps it simple and doable, so that I don’t give up mid-December or when things get hectic. I have been documenting our December since 2012, and I have always done 6x8 layouts. This is such a great versatile size, and while it’s a smaller canvas, you can do it in several different ways. I prefer one, maybe two photos, and simple embellishments. It really keeps it from being overwhelming to me. If there happens to be a bigger event, I just do a traditional page for that or include it in my PL.

6x8 works wonderfully if you’re thinking of doing a hybrid style DYD. 3x4 and 4x6 cards work perfectly, along with photos of those sizes.

Take a peek at this album by Mandy_RecordLife

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this one by kaphelps

[​IMG]

If you’re looking at doing all digital, there are so many different options for this size. Here are some fantastic examples from years past:

By Celeste

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have done mine differently from year to year. Some are more of a pocket style like these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some are more like traditional scrap pages like these from last year:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I started a couple of samples for this year using new DYD goodies and some older templates. I’m really like the way it’s coming together and am almost certain that this is they way I will go. I like to have at least a few pages done in advance so that all I have to do is plop photos and add some journaling about the day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you’re on the fence about whether or not you want/need to scrap full pages for your DYD, then I encourage you to try this size. It could be the size that works for you, like it was for me. And if you do, I’d love to see them!! Or if you’ve tried this size in the past, I’d love to see those, too.

kaphelps, cinna, bbymks5 and 5 others like this.
  2. bcnatty

bcnatty Disney - it's all for the kids!

@IntenseMagic Your pages are wonderful!!! I love these 6x8 pages and they seem so simple!! Just a quick question...do you have a particular brand of album that you put these pages in? I can't find any 6x8 albums in my small town!!

3. IntenseMagic

Thanks! Back in 2013, Ali Edwards had a fantastic sale on some of her 6x8 chipboard albums because there was a tiny little flaw or they were being discontinued or something (I can't remember exactly), so I bought several then. I used the last one last year, so I'm looking around again this year. I found this one on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Stories-Snap-Album-8-Inch/dp/B009MRLR9K and some on WalMart's website: https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=6x8 binder&cat_id=0. This one and the one from Amazon are most similar to the ones I already have: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Snap-Binder-Red-6X8/24602416 I need to do some more looking around and watching for sales to see if I can find the best deal!!

londoncuppa likes this.
  4. bcnatty

Yay!! I'm on the right track!! I was looking at the Simple Stories Snap Albums last night!!

RebeccaH and IntenseMagic like this.
  5. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

I love your pages. And they made me look up Valorie Wibbens templates that are so gorgeous (and on sale, too). So I will get them and use them for this year. I have never done 6x8, but I made a slightly smaller spiral bound album when I did DYD for the first time in 2012 and it was a good size. So count me in for 6x8, :).

IntenseMagic likes this.
  6. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

wonderful examples

IntenseMagic likes this.
  7. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

If you have access to a Hobby Lobby or Michaels, they always have some of their store brand, which I think are nice. I think HL has a better selection of albums and page protector styles. They also carry Simple Story 6x8 SNAP albums. Hope that helps.

GlazeFamily3 and IntenseMagic like this.
  8. IntenseMagic

I love Val's templates! I've used them for DYD a couple of other years as well. I can't wait to see your pages!!

Ooooh we have a Hobby Lobby. I just don't get there often enough, but I will definitely make a trip soon!! I'm usually on a mission when I go there and very seldom have time to browse lol

9. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I've never done a December album before....but I'm going to try to this year & I'm going to do 6x8.

10. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

I practically live at mine. I was teasing them the other day that they should start giving me an employee discount...lol. They do have a great album selection, so I bet you can find one you love for DYD. Don't forget their app/website always has a 40% off one regular-priced item every day.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  11. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I just saw that AndoramaPix prints 6x8. Has anyone printed with them?

12. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

Awesome pages!! I picked up Cheryl's new 8.5x11 templates which I plan on resizing to 6x8 to then resize to 4x6 to tip into my TN insert...well, I guess I'm hoping it works out anyway LOL

@GlazeFamily3 I've heard great things about AdoramaPix, but I think they might be one of the pricier ones.

13. Scrapping with Liz

I've printed albums with Andorama Pix. They are pricier but their albums are beautiful. I'm not sure about their individual prints.

GlazeFamily3 likes this.
  14. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

They actually have a 6x8 book that I think I am going to use for DYD.

Scrapping with Liz likes this.
  15. Scrapping with Liz

Awesome! You'll have to let me know how you like them.

GlazeFamily3 likes this.
  16. GwenCreative

GwenCreative Member

This is the first year that I will do a DYD, so I chose the hybrid 6x8, because I find it more fun.

17. IntenseMagic

I love the hybrid albums!! Can't wait to see yours!! One of these days I may venture there!

GwenCreative likes this.
  18. GwenCreative

GwenCreative Member

The hybrid is a great way to reconcile traditional and digital scrapbooking. I think it gives unity and sweetness.

19. destiney1

destiney1 Well-Known Member

Yes! the snap albums are what i've used for years. I bought a few ones back at a scrapbook expo for like $5. they had a mix of paper pages and then just pocket style page protectors. They didn't have enough pages for all my ten thousand photos. plus the layout was pretty repetitive so I cut down a few pages left over from when I did paper pocket pages. I had a bunch of random sizes left. I used some of the square sizes for Instagram photos, and even just cut out a few 4x6 pockets and tapped then on to add a photo flap. Now I have one of those fuse tools so I can go crazy.

RebeccaH and bcnatty like this.
  20. bcnatty

Thanks for the feedback...I was leaning to the Snap Albums online - we don't have a Hobby Lobby, but will have to check out our local Scrapbook Store.
    I haven't done a physical album in forever, so it's nice to see what has worked for people in the past.

IntenseMagic likes this.