DYD Fright... I don't know where to start!!

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by AllisonPennington, Nov 13, 2015.

1. AllisonPennington

AllisonPennington Queen of the Realm

Eek. So I've accumulated a pretty epic stash of December album stuff both paper and digital and despite my major wish to complete an album last year it just didn't happen.

We frequently dog sit for a client of Brett's and she has this Chocolate Factory of a scrapbook room. It's dizzying. It has everything. And since I gifted her the whole Get Happy collection last year she's letting me use said scrap room whenever we're there.

I intend to park myself there all weekend. But.....

OMG. Where do I start? I've never scrapped a paper page. Should I start with a non-DYD page first? How much of my digital stuff do I print just in case? :dizzy Is it going to be easier than I expect? Is it really as hard as I think it's going to be to desecrate a beautiful untouched 12x12 paper?

Help!!

(I should add that I am using a 6x8 album that I think has calendar pages - I've been too scared to open it)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  2. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I'm hyperventilating here...I can't cut a photo without breaking out in sweat.

3. AllisonPennington

Seriously!! Me, too! Even if it's a copy. I've worked with glass (mosaics and fusing, etc) forever and it STILL takes me weeks to be able to cut in to new sheets of art glass. It's torturous.

4. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

I started using older DYD. Recolored and everything. Just doing hybrid. Now the new stuff is partly in my colors. And I see that DYD is often full scrapped pages. I'm confused and pulling my hair out. But I'll calm down and get back to plan A

5. MelanieB

MelanieB Well-Known Member

It might help if you plan everything out in PS first? I can't do any paper scrapping without looking at something for inspiration. So if you have an idea in your head of how you want everything to look, organize shapes & elements on a 6x8 page in PS first, print out the shapes of what you want to do with the paper, and then cut your paper to those shapes. Does that makes sense? I'm no help!

6. AllisonPennington

This actually does make sense for my brain. I was kind of thinking about printing one of Val's Topography templates out as a guide and trying to build it on paper.

7. carilyne

That's a great idea Melanie. It's almost like a template idea. I'm going to remember that.
    Allison you can do it. You have so much talent. It's just learning how to use that talent in a new way. Can't wait to see your pages!
    And hearing you have struggles as a designer, helped encourage me to keep trying.

8. MelanieB

This works for your photo, too. You can size it out on PS & then print it, so you don't have to worry about cutting the photo wrong!

The struggle is real, no matter who you are! :giggle I didn't get anything done in time for the newsletter yesterday because I thought all my DYD stuff was crap!

9. carilyne

But you are a scrapping hero so you have those days too?
    Actually I felt like I was on a role yesterday, it felt so good. Just to get on it again.

10. Danyale

Danyale Always one step behind Waldo

I may be in the same boat as I start doing some pre prep this weekend. If anything crazy good happens, I will be back. If it is crazy bad, then I will pretend it never happen. hahahaha!

11. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I have decided my "DYD" will consist of trying to scrap last year's Christmas stories. I'm not ready to tackle anything more than that. Having done paper and digi, I prefer digi, all the way. My paper stash is going to pocket letters, and giving to my daughter to try her hand at this. I couldn't ever possibly use everything I have, and probably due to "greater creative freedom" I love my digi pages waaaaaaay more. The stress of making a mistake on paper when I've been so accustomed to cntrl+z. ... pass. Lol

12. Danyale

Danyale Always one step behind Waldo

Yasss! And it is soooo easy to send to print. Done. Hahaha!

13. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I'm going to join in this year... and I have one motto. KISS. Keep It Simple, Stupid. I think I'll change that to Keep it Simple, Scrapper - and then I will hopefully complete it!

Allison... I totally think you might be psyching yourself out! Tackle it as you might prepare to design... but design your basic layout like Melanie said then it might not be so scary!

14. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

OMG, you sound like my sister. When I visit her it drives her insane that I can do a page in 15-30 mins it takes her HOURS to do a page and everything is glued with re-positionable table. I move things around for like 5-10mins and then start glueing for REALS. Just keep going don't stop! Everything will be fine!

15. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

That must be the art journaler in you! ;)

16. MelanieB

You are too kind, Carilyne, thank you! We all have those days! :heartlub

I really don't know what I would do without it!

Just reading this scares the crap out of me! Your sister & I would get along well! :giggle

17. AllisonPennington

❤ thank you!

18. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

That makes me feel better. I cringed at uploading my stuff this week. I felt like everything I did this week came out totally stinky, and I was giving up on the idea of DYD. LOL. I still don't know what I'm going to do.

I've bought physical papers and albums the last two years to do a DYD, but I never do it. It is totally impossible for me to cut the paper and try to fit it out in pockets and get anything done. LOL. Shanna Noel gifted me a box of amazing stuff she was getting rid of a couple of years ago, and it still sits in the office, untouched, because I literally freeze every time I try to do something. Ugh.

I totally have it in my mind that anything Allison does is amazing, so it will totally work out... right? :) You will so rock it, AP!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  19. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

That was me too! I started and abandoned so many pages while working with the new DYD stuff. After much googling, pinterest-ing, trial and error and digging through my physical stash of stuff, I think I have a general plan.

Cutting paper and photos freaks me out too. I honestly can't really do it. So, I print digital stuff. Cutting that doesn't bother me since I can always print again. :-) I think I've decided to use a 6x8 Sn@p album with pocket pages, so I'll probably start prepping and printing some cards this week.

20. carilyne

My plan is 6x8 albums. I am working on the cards now. I'm doing a day card, a journal card, a saying or decorative card, in the 2 sizes. Then I can fill the day with what works. I loved JJ's 6x8 so if I want to do a layout I can and always add it later. I'm trying to keep it as simple as I can this year. I know for myself my expectations are often too high and so this year I am trying to not fall for that. If it turns out I want more digital or layout type pages I figure I will have the journal cards and pictures to do it as I can and then I can reuse the cards next year.
    I am not a paper scrapper. I learned that with even just pocket pages. But keeping up digitally every day was too much as well so hoping hybrid helps.
    Don't know if this will help anyone, but thought I'd share.