Drag and drop into photoshop

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by MrsEm, Aug 26, 2015.

1. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

Hi ladies! I've been on hiatus since I moved but I'm trying to return. Alas, I upgraded to windows 10 and that seems to have reset some settings or something. I used to be able to drag things from my digiscrap folder (alphas, for example) and drop right into photoshop but now I can't anymore. I get the circle with a diagonal line through it symbol.

Has anyone else experienced this? Know where I can adjust this setting?

I hope I hope I hope someone can help. I cannot even imagine trying to scrap having to open file, browse, select, open every.single.letter.and.element. gah!

2. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

In PSE, I can open them all in the photo bin, but I still have to drag them one at a time into the LO (unless I'm just doing it wrong). I hope you get some help on this, from someone who has better info than me!

3. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Can't say for sure, because I hardly ever use drag and drop, but make sure everything on the page you are dragging to is de-selected before you drag.

4. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

Oh - I hope that's not true. I drag and drop everything... and I am hoping to move to windows 10 soon. Now I'm worried..... - I'll keep you posted on if I find a work-a-round before I upgrade.

5. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

I am on Windows 10 and nothing changed with drag and drop into PS for me. Is it Creative Cloud or an older version? Are you dragging from Explorer or something else?

6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Ugh. I sure hope this is an easy fix, because I'm thinking up upgrading to windows 10 too. Were you in the middle of a command, like editing text or something when you tried to drag something in? I've done that many times and get mad when I can't drag in new elements until I figure out that Photoshop is in the middle of another command and that's why it wouldn't open my items.

7. Nemla

What Karen said. (make sure to de-select)
    I have win 10 and I have just tried it again . It works how it always did , no change, I am on an old version of PS.

8. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

I'm using an older version of ps. 6 I think? I don't think it was windows 10 that necessarily did it but that maybe upgrading just changed some setting I can't find? I don't know.

Nothing is selected. It doesn't work even when I try to drag a photo into photoshop with nothing else open yet. :/

9. Nemla

yikes sorry, perhaps Lorry will solve it for you.

10. lorryfach

File / Scripts / Load Files Onto Stack...

This is not an answer to your question, but it's a way to scrap until we figure it out. You can select all the files there and it will open them all into a document. Much easier than opening them all separately. Still searching for what could be wrong, though.

11. lorryfach

How are you launching Photoshop? (start menu, desktop icon, task bar, the icon in Explorer...?)

12. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for helping me! I'm away from the house right now so I can't fiddle but I will tonight.

I'm opening from a shortcut on my desktop.

13. lorryfach

Right click on the shortcut and make sure you are NOT running as Administrator.
    how to check this

14. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

Still no go not as administrator and tried as administrator for good measure, too.

I made sure nothing was selected. I tried to drag onto a blank work space. I also opened a blank 12x12 image and tried to drag directly onto that and that didn't work either.

I'm also getting a weird prompt every time I launch the program asking if I want to allow it to make changes? I think my husband is going to tinker after my boys are in bed and possibly try reinstalling it altogether.

15. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

Hooray!

Here is what worked. Totally ridiculous, imo, but at least it works now.

Go to Start > Run > then type: regedit (then press enter).

The windows registry editor will now open.

You now need to follow this route through the registry editor:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Policies > System

Then Find this Key EnableLUA, Double Click on it and change the Value data from 1 to 0.

After pressing OK you’ll notice in the task bar a message pops up saying UAC is now disabled and a restart is required.

After the restart everything will run as it did on Windows 7, Ensure you’ve untagged “Run as Administrator” on your app shortcuts.

16. Trista

Trista I'm Working On It

Wow! I would have never been able to fix that, but so glad you got that sorted out Emma. Now it's time to get your scrap on!!

17. lorryfach

So glad you got it fixed! :)