Don't Forget to Back-up

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by Angela Toucan, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I normally do my back-ups on Fridays, but I'm doing them at least twice a week during MOC. How about you? when did you last do a back-up?

QuiltyMom and bestcee like this.
  2. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

SO important! I have continuous backup to Backblaze turned on for both my desktop & EHD. I also copy every folder to my EHD, then have a working folder (kits I need to use, etc) on my desktop. :) I recently upgraded my RAM & that has made a big difference in running my backup 24 hrs & still able to open CC, Lightroom, etc.

Angela Toucan likes this.
  3. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

It's funny you asked this today because we're hanging at home (we're expecting bad weather...although it's actually nice and sunny right now!) and I've decided to back up while DH watches TV and knits. The kids are happily playing, so why not turn on a podcast and get my EHDs stocked up with all my DS goodies and photo? :)

Normally I do a big backup once a month because I have BackBlaze set to back up "continuously," so I guess technically my laptop is backed up every day. That gives me a little room to back up my EHDs, which I don't leave plugged in all the time, at least once a month. The EHD I back up to BB is plugged in twice a month just to be safe. I used to back up to my EHDs more frequently, but I blame the comfort of BB for making me lazy!

rach3975 and Angela Toucan like this.
  4. DigiGrace

DigiGrace Make mine a purple passion

I have two EHD backups and I did the backups last night.

5. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Thankyou @Angela Toucan for the reminder. I have been backing up my layouts because my desktop computer could die on me , according to the technician last year- as last year I cooked the graphics card and she said the motherboard was looking a little over heated as well.
    All my digital kits are backed up everytime I unzip them to 2 different EHDs.

bestcee and Angela Toucan like this.
  6. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Back up????? You're suppose to back up???? :huh I'm terrible about backing up, and I have lost stuff before, so you would think I would learn!!! OK, promise I will back up today.

rach3975 and bestcee like this.
  7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

:cheerYou can do it!

If not, I guess you get to buy all new supplies if you lose everything? :stash:shopping :giggle

8. bestcee

Hmm....
    Backblaze backs up continuously.
    My EHD hasn't been updated probably this year! It's backed up to Backblaze, but I usually keep it up to date with photos and supplies about every 2 weeks. That way, my first line of defense if stuff crashes is my EHD.
    I should get on that EHD backup!

9. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

With Backblaze - does it allow you to choose what you want backed up?

10. bestcee

Yes. It defaults to almost everything, but you can go in and change it to be certain folders or files instead.

11. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

All Lily Pad kits are backed up on TWO EHDs!!! I lost everything about 5 years ago when my EHD crashed and that was the only place I had everything. Going to check into BackBlaze!!! I got really bumbed out when I couldn't find my kits and then discovered the folder inside another folder. PANICVILLE!!!!!:circles

bestcee likes this.
  12. blueberries

blueberries Did I ever tell you I have a thing for snakes?

Right now I'm backing up every few days; I think my motherboard is on her last legs, every day is a roll of the dice whether she'll boot or not. You'd think I'd just switch to one of the other desktops stashed around the house, but stg the idea of it makes me itch.

bestcee likes this.
  13. bestcee

Not during MOC! Hopefully it'll make it through to February! Then you can debate on changing.
    @bellbird Justine doesn't even shut her computer down for fear of what updates might go through.
    I refuse to update photoshop during MOC.

bellbird likes this.
  14. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

True, although it won! updated itself the other night, sneaky things!

rach3975 and bestcee like this.
  15. blueberries

blueberries Did I ever tell you I have a thing for snakes?

Yeah buddy can I relate to that - after a Windows update gone wrong last year I sweat any time I see one on the horizon. I'm dodging one now like it's an ex :-D

bestcee likes this.
  16. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I'm so paranoid about losing things, especially photos and unprinted scrapbook pages! I back up to Crashplan continuously and to an EHD once a month. Even though my EHD is working fine, I've been having trouble with the backup software since a Windows update a couple of months ago. Googling let me down this time, and the instructions from WD's tech support looked longer than I was expecting. I have to work through them and try to get that backup working again, but it's hard to make time during MOC!

17. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

My computer and EHD are continuously backing up to Backblaze.
    And whenever I process new photos in Lightroom I upload them to Smugmug.
    Also, irregularly, I upload my scrapbook pages to Smugmug.

18. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I rely on Backblaze among other things. Thanks to all of you for recommending it!

bestcee likes this.