does anyone have a silhouette curio?

Discussion in 'Hybrid Pad' started by bellbird, Nov 23, 2017.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

interested in opinions - i may have be given money to buy one specifically after some recent whinging - i like that it apparently embosses and cuts and i don't need 12x12 capabilities or something that takes up half my desk but i don't really know much about it beyond what their videos show (and i kinda don't want to have to buy a bunch of cartridges or dies or whatever for a sizzix type machine). If i bought an embossing 'folder' (i think thats what they are called - the like sheets to feed into the machine with your card) and a pen type stylus, could i achieve that same basic effect though with a bit of effort?

Tree City likes this.
  2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Intriguing! I don't have one, so no idea! I bought the standalone sizzix emboss machine (looks like a purse), and a set of 10 or 12 dies, and I don't use it very much at all.

I'm curious if the curio does work as well!

bellbird likes this.
  3. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Didn't someone here get one within the past year or so ... was it @JillW maybe?
    I only have the little Portrait so I can't help you Justine ... I don't pay much attention to the bells and whistles of the other machines bc I'm content w/what I have. But big congrats on getting the "go ahead" to grab a Silhouette machine. That is exciting for sure.

4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

IDK if you can get the exact same effect, but maybe you could google "silhouette curio embossing advantages" or something like that? Maybe someone out there has done the research for you and has pics to compare. I've got to think that, based on my cutting and printing experience with my Silhouette Portrait, the Silhouette will do a fantastic job. For me, your "with a little bit of effort" comment is what trips me up. The Silhouette is so easy to use. So. stinking. easy.

Right now is a good time to buy one. They're on sale (at least, they are in the States) and they're having a sale on their store subscriptions. AND, you can cut out (or emboss, or whatever! lol) any TLP SVG file you have. Lots of options. :)

5. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

Did you end up getting a Curio, Justine?

6. MrsGaramer

MrsGaramer Using my imagination

I have one! I love it

7. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

sorry i didnt see your tag before Margaret! i didn't end up buying it anyway - i put the money towards a new laptop (and also bought some neutral density filters for my dslr - to improve my straight out of camera outdoors shots). I did buy an embossing folder but havent really done anything with it apart from put some paper over it and scribble with the back of a pen - not sure it'll work on cardstock because it's more plasticy and not that metal like in the diecut machine dies)

bestcee and MrsGaramer like this.
  8. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

No worries. Your money was probably better put to use on a laptop and your camera filters. :agree

You can use the embossing folder without a machine (I use my Sizzix machines for those). All you need is something to put pressure on the folder, such as rolling a heavy rolling pin over it. It doesn't make as deep an impression, but it will make one.

You can also ink up the inside (if you have a brayer to apply the ink, it goes on really evenly that way, but it isn't necessary). The inked design on the inside of the folder will transfer to your paper with the rolling pin pressure. If you're interested in using embossing folders or dies at all, you can get a Sizzix machine really cheap (about $75). Mine is my favorite scrappy tool (I'd give up my Silhouette before I gave up my Sizzix).

Angela Toucan and bellbird like this.
  9. Justagirl

Justagirl Courageously dancing in the rain

I’m curious what you’re using your embossing folders for @bellbird ? Is it card making? The reason I ask is the Cuttlebug is brilliant for metal dies and the plastic embossing folders I use it a lot on my ATC’s, invites and cards and is a fraction of the price.

bestcee likes this.
  10. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i just bought it to have a go at embossing card backgrounds (i usually just print and fussy cut and stick digi stuff to a card and add kindy glitz or diamond glaze or something else for some extra dimension and to jazz it up a bit - i looked at cuttlebug and sizzix etc and didn't really want another machine if it wasn't going to be much useful in terms of hybrid (which is why the curio sparked my interest initially) - i did some looking at gumtree etc for second hand die/emboss machines a month or so ago but there wasn't anything really near enough to me (NSW) and the money's already spent now anyway, it's so easy to spend money on craft stuff and no upcoming need for it really, it'd just be another thing i'd have to try and find a space for in the craft cupboard atm!

11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

thanks! hadn't thought of the stamping possibility!

londoncuppa likes this.