Does anyone actually read hardcovers?

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by bellbird, Aug 21, 2021.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I went ahead before the last bookclub vote finished and reserved In the Woods - Tana French in paperback from our library seeing it was 'available' & that's not always the case with the nominated books.
    (Thanks to everyone that puts up books for the vote too b/cos even if they're not the popular pick, I will still check them out if the blurb & sometimes just the cover grabs me)
    But we're in lockdown & I didn't know when the library would eventually open & got happy mail the other day! I was happily surprised that they posted the book & some I'd reserved for DS out to me.
    But I remember one of the reasons I switched to ebooks now! It's nearly 600pages & will be a bedtime tricep workout for at least a month I think, it's like double the length of my normal paperback reads! The thicker the book, the less likely I am to grab it off the shelf. (Audiobooks longer than 12hours tend to put me off too) And more so with hardcovers, I think I have only one on my 'real books' shelf but it may just sit there forever!

Do hardcovers or the length of books put you off? Or are you the opposite & prefer lengthy stories? Or are you usually an ebook-er & don't notice book weight & length so much?

umyesh likes this.
  2. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

We must be reading twins!

Do hardcovers or the length of books put you off? Definitely yes! I am a slow reader so the shorter the book the better haha (one of the reasons I stick to YA books).

Audiobooks are my first pick because I listen to them when I’m driving alone. Ebooks are my second pick because I always have my phone with me so I can always have my books with me too!

My kids prefer physical books and I don’t understand why!!!

bellbird likes this.
  3. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Almost book twins (I can't listen to stories while driving or I miss turns etc! But as a passenger on road trips they work for me)
    My son is the same re: physical books, even long, heavy ones that are as thick as this 600page one, but DD prefers audio while crocheting or doing a puzzle or ebooks of novels. Once the kids were reading books where the pictures were no longer in colour or there were no pics at all, I thought ebooks would have been a clear winner but it's not the first time I've been wrong!

umyesh likes this.
  4. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I actually love hard covers because they are usually LP (LARGE PRINT) and I love a LP every single day over a tiny font!

patsyt and bellbird like this.
  5. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

No,the length of the book does not put me of,but the weight of a hard cover does, also they nearly break your nose,when you fall asleep and they fall forward on your face..... so it is paperbacks for me.
    I thought I would never buy another paperback , after I got my kindle, but it has made no difference really, I read on the kindle when hubby is asleep mostly ,because the light is less likely to wake him up.
    Audio books I usually get on CD in Danish, then listen to them while I do other stuff.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    bellbird likes this.
  6. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I bought a hard cover book recently! Go me! I wanted to support the author, so I ordered his autographed book.

I normally just buy the Kindle edition. I've bought for 3 Kindle edition books this month.

bellbird likes this.
  7. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Hardcover books don't bother me, but I also don't buy much of any kind of book anymore. Long ago, I tended to wait until books came out in softcover just for the lower cost. But in the last couple of decades I have bought fewer and fewer books as I've become more minimalist. I've bought one physical book this year -- John Green's The Anthropocene Reviewed -- and it's hardcover. I actually wasn't planning on buying it because I assumed it had the same stories in it as his podcast of the same name (one of my favorites!) but when I learned about the geography project set up with the publishing of the book, I decided to participate.
    Before that book, I can't even remember the last physical book I bought. I've bought several ebooks and audiobooks though. My teen self might have been appalled to know that I ended up NOT wanting walls full of shelves full of books; that was a huge dream I had as a teen. But now I love the way I can fit a lot of books in my pocket because of the wonders of the digital age.

bellbird likes this.
  8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I will read whatever is available. There's something about the heft of a super long paperback that's satisfying. Probably a hold over from my middle school and high school days when I would gravitate towards thick books. LOL

bellbird likes this.
  9. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I will admit I haven't been reading much lately but I have shelves full of hard cover books in my house. Way back when I was a member of The Literary Guild and got a couple books every month. I also have some authors that I have a lot of their books in hard cover. As a young teen I was into the Harlequin Romance books and bought a lot of them and many of them are no longer in the house. Quite a few got ruined when there was flooding in the basement so they went out the door to recycle. I do have a Kindle with lots of books on it. Heck, I even have the Kindle copy of a whole set of hard cover books I have. I love the series and have read it several times. I have also borrowed a lot of Kindle books from the library.

When I do read these days I have to switch up between Kindle and regular books. My eyes will get tired reading on the Kindle too much. The length of books don't bother me. I enjoy short and sweet but every once in awhile a "thick" book is what I want.

I can't do audio books because of my hearing issues.

bellbird likes this.
  10. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Triceps workout ha ha ha ha!

When we moved the last time, we gave away or sold over 1000 books in an effort to declutter. Since we use our iPad minis to do all of our reading, the collection has thankfully not reformed.

Book length is really not an issue, although, at times, I just want a short airplane/ beach read and move on. BTW, In the Woods is well worth the triceps workout and time. I read the entire T. French series, but spaced them out with lighter/shorter books .

I am unable to hear the books on tape and after my cataract surgery last month, I can’t see very well either. I’m hoping my vision will improve over time.

I too appreciate all the nominated books in book club.

bellbird likes this.
  11. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Audio is probably best for me, unless it is a "study";then I prefer paper. Don't care if it is paperback or hard cover. I can't stand e-books! They are just too hard for me to read, and to keep place, etc. I have 3 paperbacks I am reading now, all similar topics so I guess that equals a study, lol. I don't read non fiction- prefer movies for that!

bellbird likes this.
  12. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

Audiobooks is not usual here, in fact, it's starting to be available only in the last couple of years, and I don't like it.

hard covers and big books used to be my faves, but now, I prefer to read them in my kindle, it's easier to read in bed and carry around...

bellbird likes this.
  13. LivyBug

LivyBug I should be considered yarned and dangerous.

I love physical books. This year I've started building my book collection again after de-stashing a lot of books from my teens. I'm only thrown off by large books if it's not a subject I want to read. But I love fantasy so a lot of those are lengthy books and series.

That being said I do notice heavy books. I got a Flippy as a Christmas gift last year, and it helps for weighty books!

[​IMG]

I also read on my phone/Kindle. I've dabbled in audiobooks but just for light reads. I'll speed them up a bit too.

Dalis and bellbird like this.
  14. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

@LivyBug I've got the Pillow Pad version and use it for my Kindle and tablet that I play games on. I actually had left wrist issues from holding my tablet a couple years ago and the Pillow Pad alleviates that. I no longer have to wear my wrist band! Well worth what I spent on it.

bellbird and LivyBug like this.
  15. FL-Karen

FL-Karen Well-Known Member

Hardback. Paperback. Doesn't matter to me. I do prefer to read my books, in my hand. I like the feel of the paper, etc. It could be from years of homeschooling or it could be that I actually have a tangible item - not sure. My girls did buy me a kindle one year, but I never used it. I tried, but just not the same for me.

I do have several audio books.... but only buy them if I have the physical book. I guess I'm weird. LOL.

bellbird likes this.
  16. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I adore my Kindle Paperwhite. I've got the screen and brightness set up so it's like reading a paperback. But, I'm the girl who packed a book in her purse for years, and if it was a car trip I had 1-2 books per day stashed in the car. So, for me the Kindle equals convenience! I can carry around all the books I'm currently reading and not worry about them fitting in my purse. Plus, most of my reading is at night when Nick is trying to sleep, so having the lit up screen is better for my eyes.

I do read a few hard covers, but I usually only buy Munchkin hard covers. I usually check mine out from the library. He's into a few series, and I hate making him wait since I'm so glad he's enjoying reading, so hardcover it is!

Cookbooks - I'll buy my favorites in spiral bound which is usually hardcover, but it has to be an amazing cookbook. Otherwise, I'll just use it on the computer screen.

Audiobooks - I keep trying them, but I'm so picky about the voices, that I find I mostly only like non-fiction on audio. Or murder. Those aren't as violent when they are read to me as when I read them. ;)

17. Vrielinkie

Vrielinkie Rub-a-Dub-Dub

#this, Courtney :giggle although I have a Kobo.

I have 800 books in my house, 90% of which are mine....so I tried an ereader and loved it. I mostly read in bed and during bath time, so an ereader is perfect. Especially when traveling, it saves so much room. Audiobooks only when I have a migraine, in bed and I'm picky too about the voices haha. And to answer the question: when I do buy books (yes I still do buy some too), I just tend to love big books and love hardbacks (mostly the awesome cover art these days).

bestcee likes this.
  18. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Love all kinds of books. :) Length doesn't matter as long as the book is interesting.. a boring story regardless of length I have a hard time with.. I have a few here I have bought and can't get through the first 10 pages. I have been using EBook through the library recently using both phone and laptop and can get through a book sometimes in a day if it is interesting :)

19. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

hmmm... I wonder if this is a good idea for my teenager? I do want her to get out of bed once in a while, so I am tore!

LivyBug likes this.
  20. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

The length of a book is actually something I love! I love a longer books (if it's a good one) because then it last longer... BUT.... I do not like hardcover books. I've been reading ebooks (kindle) for so long now that I can't remember how to hold a real book anymore. :giggle The only time I get a real paper book these days is if my e-library doesn't have the electronic version for me to borrow.