Document the Everyday Challenge

Discussion in 'Document Your December Layouts' started by jenn mccabe, Nov 9, 2017.

1. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

@BevG I love the "themes" idea paired with Lynn G's photo templates! That is such an awesome way to approach it. Excited to see your pages!

BevG likes this.
  2. jenn mccabe

So tomorrow is the first day of December! Yikes, it comes so fast. I'm hoping to put up our tree and indoor decorations. I have a loose list of things I want to capture for my first DYD album. Hoping to stick with this project and complete an album by the end of Jan!

How is everyone else (especially those of you like me, who never did this before) feeling? Are you ready to roll? Have you already started documenting in Nov? Anyone feeling apprehensive? (I definitely admit to being nervous about keeping up and seeing this thing through!)

kaphelps likes this.
  3. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I wanted to start the day after Thanksgiving... and I did. But I am not happy with my album at all. I don’t know if it is the 6x8 size, the color scheme, or the fact I am trying to squeeze in so much since I am not doing Project 365... but I am just not feeling it.

I may start over tomorrow, possibly use a 12x12 template set I found, maybe follow the prompts, and see how it goes.

4. jenn mccabe

@GlazeFamily3 I definitely have been in that spot w/albums myself! I saw your 2017 DYD cover and it is darling. I'm not sure how many pages you have done thus far ... but changing your album cover to 12x12 looks like it would be easy enough. I hope you find your groove ... and give yourself a pat on the back for starting already! That in itself is great! :beat

5. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Oh, this is good. I hopefully I'll remember to take photos!

6. kaphelps

kaphelps CT - OLB

It is a challenge to document everyday- but this year, I have prepared more than ever so I am not "drawing a blank" on those days when I/we don't have anything very "christmassy" going on.
    I have made two lists - the first is writing down the days 1 thru 31 and jotting down any plans we have on that day - for instance, on Dec.2nd we are ringing the salvation army bell, on Dec.20th I am meeting with the neighborhood woman's group - so on days I have something planned, I will remember to take a photo and make that my story for that day-done. I think having it written down and seeing it makes it less overwhelming for me - the decision has been made - now I just have to pop in a photo, write a few sentences and use some fun embellishments!
    On the (many) days where I/we don't have anything planned yet, I have come up with a second list of things I want to photograph or stories of late that I want to include. For me, these are things like our dog, my son playing club baseball and how hard he has worked, my texts to/from my family that lives out of state. Most of these stories are flexible and can go in just about any day. The list is on my desk and ready for days when I don't have anything else.
    I have done a DYD/DD book for the past 5 years - not always finishing but this year I feel more prepared than ever. I got many of these ideas from the fab @Liz -she has a great blog post & video showing how she is preparing her DYD- it's worth checking out here.http://paisleepress.com/2017/11/december-daily-2017-foundation-pages-video-walkthrough/ -hope that it's ok I linked that? Anyway, thanks for the great ideas - looking forward to seeing everyone's pages!

jenn mccabe likes this.
  7. jenn mccabe

It's fabulous @kaphelps - thank you for sharing liz's process with us! And your tip about having two lists : one essentially your monthly plan for Dec and then the list of extra photo ideas to fill in on your slower Dec days is awesome. Sounds like you are all set for your 6th year! (WOW!) And I love the idea to include texts from your out of state family. :)

kaphelps likes this.
  8. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I made a start on some foundation pages in Nov to get me going. I wouldn't have any hope of managing it otherwise. Dec can get quite busy. It will good training for MOC I guess. I've decided to do this as an album of everyday life from my perspective which is something I've not done before, and I'm a bit nervous and excited about doing it all at the same time.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  9. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I'm quietly, inwardly freaking out. I don't have a good plan in place for this year yet. Last year was my first successful year and part of what it made it successful was the fact that I had the journaling side of my spread laid out for every day in advance. I might just pick a template set and let that be my "foundation pages" for this year. We'll see... deep breaths, deep breaths....

(Once a decision is made, I'll be fine, it's just making that decision to get started!!)

jenn mccabe likes this.
  10. jenn mccabe

good point about it being good training for MOC ... and I like the idea of an everyday life album from your perspective! we can be nervous and excited about our projects together! :)

Angela Toucan likes this.
  11. jenn mccabe

I'm sorry that you are nervous about it too, but hearing others say these words is making feel a bit better. I haven't decided on a style/foundation pages/template/etc yet either ... but I am one who tends to let my photos guide my pages and build them around that. I think after I get the first couple of photos ready to go I'll know what my pages will look and feel like. I want to stay very simple and let the photos or the emotions of the season shine.

Good Luck to all of us .... we can do this!

12. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

That's with me as well... I just need to get a couple pages going to establish the feel I want for this year. And I'm definitely keeping things simple this year too.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  13. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

14. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I have a document on my desk and I have been jotting down dates and things to prepare. Some have pictures and some do not. I have also made a couple of foundation pages. Hoping to work on them later, but first on the priorities is the Christmas card.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  15. jenn mccabe

Oh wow! Look at you... first to post a page here for 2017! I love it! The colors are so pretty!

Angela Toucan likes this.
  16. meterr

meterr I've got ICE in my veins!

I think ill document our every day, and on days we do absolutely nothing, I'm going to do "memory pages" with heritage photos or use one of the awesome prompts listed in one of the posts here.

jenn mccabe, HavaDrPepper and cinna like this.
  17. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

What do ya'll do if you forget to document a few days? We're already 7 days in and I've only documented the first four days. Any thoughts?

jenn mccabe likes this.
  18. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I saw that Liz missed a day taking pictures. She did a layout about the music they were listening to that day. If you were too busy to actually take the pics, do a day of journaling about everything going on.

I am doing DYD this year hoping it gets me back into the scrapping mood. I am just documenting the day to day things I'm doing. I probably won't be posting my layouts since I am using non TLP kits.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  19. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

My day 11. It doesn't get any more everyday than this. Appointment with the teacher...

[​IMG]

jenn mccabe likes this.
  20. jenn mccabe

This is me! My approach is not to do an album with a "photo for each day" of the month... meaning "this photo represents Dec 1st", and "this photo represents Dec 2nd". Instead ... I'll just photograph what I photograph for the month (using all the different ideas from the posts in this forum and my own list of things) and then pick my favorite 25 or 31 "things/moments" from the month without worrying about them corresponding to a specific day. That way I have no pressure to make it Day oriented ... it's "thing/moment" oriented. So my book may have 5 pages with 5 "things/moments" that all happened on one day ... but I don't care. It still represents my month to me.

If you want it to be day specific ... I like what Rene @HavaDrPepper mentioned ... do a non-photo page like Liz did.

Is there a text message from the day that is significant?
    Was it super cold or unseasonably warm one day?
    Make a list about your favorite holiday music.
    Make a page about your list of gifts you need to buy.
    Maybe do a page with your kids' wish lists.
    Find a way to do a non photo page about whatever everyday things kept you so busy you didn't get a chance to take photos on some days?

I just saw @tkradtke did a page with a favorite app she uses for the holidays:

[​IMG]

It came out so cute! So maybe some pages like that?

Angela Toucan and QuiltyMom like this.