Do you use TN's for documenting projects?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by QuiltyMom, Nov 27, 2020.

1. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I'm wanting to make some sort of notebook to collect info about and document sewing projects and I can't settle on what exactly to do. It would hold things like pattern information, inspirational photos, supplies needed/purchased, fabric swatches, progress photos, stores, websites, etc. It would be an ongoing work in progress. Has anyone used a Travelers Notebook - or another size - for something like this? I'd love to see some examples and hear your ideas.

I'm thinking it may be a hybrid thing rather than all digi, but not a bound book but something that can be added to. See, I'm always forgetting things so it needs to be able to expandable in case I need to add in a page here or there (darned ADD!) lol!

Thanks!!

2. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

No I haven’t but this sounds like a great idea!

we were just saying the other night that we wished we would of done a book on our home. We built our home in 1990. So there has been alot of changes with paint colors and wallpapers.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  3. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

I have been wanting to do something like this for a few years now and simply can't because I don't know what to use to hold it all in. I've considered a TN, but the ones I have are bound and not easy to add to....I've considered a 3-ring notebook with page protectors, but I don't know....and...I've considered using a HP disc bound type binding...which I lean most towards, but not sure what size. I'm a mess and haven't actually taken the leap to make a decision.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  4. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I've used a TN in a somewhat similar way. One of mine is my planner/calendar, and the other is my project planning TN. I use it to plan out long term scrapping projects and non-scrapping projects. I generally keep 3 inserts and a folder in the project TN. Here's how I use each of them.
    • Folder-Notes, printouts, and memorabilia that I need to hold onto or haven't gotten around to placing in one of the notebook inserts yet.
    • 1st Insert-Devoted to whatever long term scrapping project I'm working on, like a vacation album. The first couple of pages are like an overview of the whole project, with a list of the pages I plan to make, how I think I'll organize them in the photobook, etc. Then the rest of the insert has a page or 2 devoted to each of the layouts. As I start to plan out and scrap those layouts I make notes about how many pages it will be, how many photos, what kit, etc.
    • 2nd Insert-I use this for short term project planning, like figuring out how many photos I'm going to have on that week's Project Life page, what size I want each to be, and what template to use.
    • 3rd Insert-It varies. Sometimes I've had an insert devoted to a non-scrapping project like a bathroom remodel or trip planning. If my 1st insert about the long term scrapping project fills up, I keep it in the TN and use the 3rd for planning out the rest of the layouts.
    One of the things I love about my TNs is that as the inserts fill up I can toss out the ones I no longer need, like a planning notebook for a scrapping project that is finished and printed. But when it has something I do want to keep, like info about the bathroom remodel, it's in a compact, bound format and can go on a shelf or in a drawer. I don't really have anything worth showing you--since mine are mostly notes for me, they just look like lists and scribbled notes!

ETA: I just reread your post, and with bound TN inserts you can add a page by taping your add-on to another page. But it sounds like maybe you're looking for something more expandable than that, in which case a looseleaf notebook or ring bound planner might be the best format. I'll try to post a few photos of the formats soon.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    QuiltyMom likes this.
  5. rach3975

Okay, here's a ring bound planner vs. a Traveler's Notebook. I don't know think a TN would be as expandable as you want. The inserts are made from pages folded in half and then stapled or sewn together to bind them. They're held in the TN by elastics. You can add more inserts, but you can't add more pages to an existing insert. My ring-bound planner is probably smaller than you'd want, but they have A5 versions whose pages are about half the size of an 8.5x11 paper. You could also just use a decorative looseleaf notebook if you want 8.5x11 pages.

Here's a ring-bound planner, the insert from a TN, and a TN.
    [​IMG]

Top view of a ring-bound planner and a TN so you can see how the inserts are held in.
    [​IMG]

And here's the inside of a TN insert.
    [​IMG]

QuiltyMom likes this.
  6. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

How about a 6x9 3 ring binder? You can find those at Wal-Mart. I have planner binders about the same size. The big difference is the planner has 7 rings so to use paper other than pre-printed pages, I had to buy a special punch. The paper for the 3 ring binder is 5.5x8.5 inches. There is a whole bunch of different kinds on Amazon. Some with patterned covers, others just plain with the plastic on front that you can put something behind it to personalize it. Mine is Avery brand. Various capacity sizes as well.

At one time I did use a planner to keep track of projects I wanted to do but since I quit knitting I quit using it. Although I didn't do anything scrappy wise in it, it was just lists with each project having its own page. Lots of people do decorate their planners like hybrid scrapping so it could be done for either a planner system or just a 3-ring binder.

QuiltyMom and FarrahJobling like this.
  7. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

That is AMAZING! Thank you so much for doing this. It's exactly what I needed to know. I may be asking you a lot of questions in the near future!

LOL! You sound like me! I have the hardest time making decisions, so therein lies the dilemmas: what type of TN/notebook to use, and what to actually put in it! Sometimes I think I'm hopeless...

Oh, this is good info, too! I'll be sure to check out those binders and punches. There are just too many options out there that this is the kind of info that really helps!
    And I use Ravelry for my knitting files. It helps when they have forms to fill in telling me what I need to document!

rach3975 likes this.
  8. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I was just learning to knit so a lot of stuff on there was way over my head! Although I was good at making fun fur scarves using the garter stitch. LOL

QuiltyMom likes this.
  9. rach3975

Ask away!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  10. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I've use a TN notebook for lots of different project and especially for my daily journal for the last two year. Last year I made a separate notebook just for keeping track of all things Christmas. I had a page for each person I wanted to shop for and a wishlist page for myself, etc. I did a thread for DYD last year, but I can't find it to show the pictures. lol.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  11. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

Is this the thread you're talking about?

12. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Yes! That's the one! Thanks! :agree

KimJ likes this.
  13. Claire Grantham

Claire Grantham Pollywog

I use a A5 planner for my digital scrapping / blog commitments / design teams / ideas. I did have a TN, but as people have pointed out, it wasn't expandable. I love the new A5 size and a top tip for you Carpe Diem planners are THE BOMB, but super expensive ($40 to $50), however they often have them on sale for $10 the shipping is pricey, so it ends up costing around $20 in the end, but worth it, as they have big rings, so you can hold a LOT.