Do you think you could jinx your OLW?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by cinna, Feb 21, 2018.

1. cinna

cinna The Force is ALWAYS with me ...

I have a word that I really feel that it has chosen me and that is JOY. But after just barely TWO months I really feel anything but joyful....

* 2018 had barely begun when our sweet cat had to be put to sleep due to cancer.
    * Starting February with the flu AND a sinus infection for two weeks.
    * This Monday I was one of the first persons to a tragic traffic accident. Me and another woman tried to help a man in a car, but there was nothing we could do but watch him pass away. I am still in shock about this.

I really, really hope that this was the last bad thing about 2018. I believe that I've had my share of bad things for the rest of the year.

2. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

@cinna, I am so sorry about this. That is a pretty rough six week. If it makes you feel better, my OLW was "Listen." But I think I would have maybe been better off with "Yell Really Loud." My 2018 is seriously lacking in zen.

3. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

Oh my - I'm sorry it's been so bumpy for you these past several weeks!!

So sorry about your family cat - and so tragic about the traffic accident ... I'm glad you weren't there by yourself - I'm sorry you had to go through it though!! I do hope you are feeling 100%! Sending GOOD vibes your way!! Your definitely deserve them!

4. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

Oh Carina I'm so sorry :( I sure hope the next ten months bring you joy and happiness. Hugs to you for trying to help a stranger, even though you may feel like there was nothing you could do to save him, just know he felt the comfort and effort you made, and his family will forever be thankful that he wasn't alone, even if they never say that to you.

But to answer your question, I do think OLW can be jinxed! My OLW for 2017 was supposed to be NO; no excess spending, no excess stuff, etc, yeah that was totally blown within months and I could not get back on track, no matter how hard I tried. I opted to not have a OLW for 2018 for fear of being jinxed again.

Juliestcyr and cfile like this.
  5. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I am sorry to hear about the year you are having so far.

I chose joy this year, too. And man- what a struggle this year has been. There have been some high points, but I am struggling to cling to my OLW and get past the bad.

6. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

7. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

So sorry to hear that your has started off so roughly. Hopefully things will get better. I don't pick a word anymore, but the last one I did pick was "acceptance". I was having a rough time with extended family and one day I decided that I was just going to accept things and move forward. Good luck!

8. Mylinn

Mylinn What's that old bat up to now??

Maybe turn it into a release word? Journal about what is blocking joy today? Or make an arty page and let emotions flow onto it? Or a rememberance word - re celebrate something that brought joy back in the day? Gah, I so hope the universe didn't decide you would need the word to remind you that joy will be again...after this year.
    My heart and prayers for your losses. Pets alone are enough to kneecap one but the burdens (that day and ongoing too) of being with someone so they aren't alone are harsh.

keepscrappin likes this.
  9. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

No I don't think your word gets jinxed. I think this may be a year of major losses but learning to find joy in the basics of life...you and I are still breathing, which really is an amazing process but a damn hard lesson.

Light some more candles during your lingering Swedish winter and get a pink hyacinth to watch bloom! Joy is just thinking you CAN do those things. :beat

keepscrappin likes this.
  10. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Big hugs Carina. Keeping you in my prayers.

I am so sorry about your cat, but be happy that you gave your cat a great life, and it is no longer suffering. UGH so sorry you were so sick. I have been taking every precaution out there using those sanitized wipes even when we go out to dinner to wipe our hands after touching menus, salt & pepper shakers etc. I am normally not like that but this flu is horrid and since we are retired we are not around a lot of people so our immune system is not like others ... I hope you continue to feel better.

Regarding the gentleman that passed, think of it positively, you and the other woman were there when he needed you both most. You were with him so he wouldn't be all alone when he passed. That I am sure is a BIG HUGE comfort to his family. I am sure there was nothing that could be done for him, but because you were with him, his soul went on to a better place and he wasn't alone.

Thinking of you.

11. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I think Timmi, we are soul sisters.. we often think the very same thing. I didn't even read your response until after I wrote mine. :glomp

12. Sara

Sara Riding in the Neil mobile

I am so very sorry for the trials you've been facing this year so far. And for what you witnessed Monday. That is the kind of moment that leaves an imprint and I'm sorry you have to carry it. I pray the year gets better and that your tomorrows are filled with reasons to smile and feel light. :beat

I will say..I think there are reasons we are drawn to certain words. Or that some words choose us. And sometimes it's not the reason we think or the plans we envision. Perhaps this word chose you this year because it's something you will struggle with and need to be *intentional* about..and that the doing so will be an empowerment for you and will help buoy you through dark times. Perhaps it's meant to be a constant reminder of your heart song and what you need most this year. And perhaps, through that journey, you will find that you can do hard things, you can find light in the dark and will be stronger for it?

That's my hope for you anyway. Here's to brighter days. :beat

13. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I am going to put a different spin on your events:

* 2018 had barely begun when our sweet cat had to be put to sleep due to cancer. - I know the love of a pet is so hard and very difficult to deal with however remember the joy you had with your sweet cat. Hopefully you have some pictures and can look back at them and remember all the fun times and hopefully some fun things you can remember.

* Starting February with the flu AND a sinus infection for two weeks. -- Now this one is a little hard to bring any joy but at my thought would be at least it was in the winter months and hopefully you did not have to stay in the hospital.

* This Monday I was one of the first persons to a tragic traffic accident. Me and another woman tried to help a man in a car, but there was nothing we could do but watch him pass away. I am still in shock about this. - I can't imagine the heartache that you have from not being able to help someone but think that at least the man did not have to pass away all by himself. I bet he felt some comfort in having someone with him.

Life is so short and I just can't keep looking for the bad. I always try to find some good out of every situation (and yes sometimes it is very tough -- Last February my oldest grandson who was 11 died. That was very hard for me to find any "good" but after talking with some of my other grandchildren one of them said that David is no longer getting in trouble and can eat all the candy he wants. David had some mental challenges which resulted in him having some discipline issues and he was also allergic to most candy. My little granddaughter was looking for something to help her deal with the situation and I think it helped us all).

keepscrappin, Sara and cfile like this.
  14. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I am so sorry for all you've been dealing with! Big hugs to you. The first thing that came to my mind was like a few of the others have said. Maybe you were drawn to that word because you are learning to look for joy in those situations where it might be difficult to find. Many years ago, when I was going through a very difficult marriage and divorce, I really had to teach myself to find joy even in just the smallest things around me. That was one of the greatest lessons I ever learned and has been so valuable! But I do hope that you have much more joy in the days to come!!!

15. Chippi

Chippi Those chicken nuggets are just waiting to attack

Oh Carina, big hugs for you. What a rough start to the year. Your word choice might have been the universe saying it's going to be a tough few weeks (and let's hope it sticks to a few weeks) you are going to have to learn to find and make joy. I do hope things pick up for you, and you can find joy easier than you have had to.
    We lost one of our rabbits early in January and I felt like I had been punched in the chest. It is so hard to find joy or any kind of happy when things are horrible like that. Also wanted to say that you are so, SO very brave to stick by that man. I feel like I would have crumbled. You are amazing.

Oh I am hearing you!!! And not because you are yelling, bahahaha!! I chose Calm... and I have just entered into full time study... it is more of a dream word than a plan word. lol!!

Juliestcyr likes this.
  16. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

LOVE this! I was going to also go in that direction. Just remember, that yes, your word is JOY but that word can mean so many things. Just like what was said above; think of the joy your precious cat brought you. Think of the joy through the tragedy you witnessed; he did not pass alone, you and the other woman were with him. There is joy in comfort. Keep your word! Look for it every day----and not just in the happy moments, but mostly in the moments you don't feel joy. That's when you need to look for it! And it is there!! HUGS!!!!

17. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

hold to this..it chose YOU.
    JOY is easy when life is wonderful. It is finding the JOY when LIFE is kicking your butt.
    I have a mantra - NEVER lose YOUR JOY
    that means, no one has the power to take it, no circumstance, no body, nothing.
    yep...life sometimes is not JOYful, but I can step back and remember
    where my JOY originates.
    JOY
    is not just a "good feeling". It is more than that, and we choose to keep the JOY or let it be stolen.
    I think you are stronger than you think, and your faith is wanting you to build up JOY in the midst of the chaos.

pssssst. I chose this word long ago, and although I have other words I have picked. I hold this one dear to my heart, daily.
    and girl, this has been a crazy, insane year, but I'm not letting anything/one steal it from me!
    ~never lose your joy

18. cinna

cinna The Force is ALWAYS with me ...

A big thank you from the deep of my heart to EVERYONE who has taken the time to answer me. :beat I have read each and everyone's answer and I find comfort in what you have written to me

I am so gonna try to make my word into something GOOD and I am stealing your mantra @AnneofAlamo.
    I AM a "happy" person and I always try to see the good in everything - just that the year so far really has thrown me some curve balls that have been a real pain.

With that said I am perking up and looking forward to the weekend which is filled with good stuff!

BIG (((HUGS))) to you all!:happyhug:beat:beat:beat

cfile and AnneofAlamo like this.
  19. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

((((((HUGS HUGS HUGS))))) back at ya!!!!:heartslub:heartslub:heartslub

cinna likes this.
  20. Justagirl

Justagirl Courageously dancing in the rain

@cinna So sorry to read this hunnie, what a very difficult start to the year. I chose the word Shambhala this year because its actually the year of Shambhala which means peace, a place of silence, tranquility & happiness. When you get a chance look it up you might find some resolve in the tremendous lose you have already experienced this year. Sending you lots of love sweetie xox

cinna likes this.