do you IP? | pad patter 11.5.19

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, Nov 5, 2019.

1. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

I'm with Courtney- have a PC and Crockpot. Love them both.

bestcee and keepscrappin like this.
  2. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I got one for Christmas last year... but I just don't get the hype. All the extra calculating and translating from a "regular" recipe to an IP recipe, the extra time for pressurizing and depressurizing, having to add water or not, etc. etc. etc. --- way too much work for me.

I just want to cook -- not do middle-school math, too.

bestcee likes this.
  3. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I’ve been waiting for Black Friday sales to get one. Is that the best time to pick one up? What size do I get? Small family but would like to have leftovers.

keepscrappin likes this.
  4. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Instant Pot is the brand name.

5. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I've had my eye on one- especially with Black Friday sales starting... with this hockey player we are billeting, I'm cooking TONS of rice all the time- I first was looking at rice makers, but it sounds like the IP is the way to go. Does anyone just cook chicken/rice or salmon/rice? that's his go-to pregame meal & I would love to make it faster! :)

keepscrappin and jesskab like this.
  6. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

I hadn't used my IP in a long time. Single mom status kinda mandates it. I'm dieting & don't eat the same things as my kids. For budget/practical purposes, I buy one protein a week & freeze it in some kind of marinade. When I get home, I just cook it on manual high for 15-20min, then I have dinner & the next day's lunch. Meat comes out so tender! One day I was a little mopey because I wanted mashed potatoes, but didn't want to use up my diet points. Then I remembered I had a whole butternut squash. I just popped that baby on the trivet with two cups of water & set for 25min. I sprinkled a touch of brown sugar & nutmeg, it was perfect. I also have an air fryer, that thing really comes in handy sometimes. It makes great appetizers & revives the crispness of leftover fries or pizza.

keepscrappin likes this.
  7. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

keepscrappin likes this.
  8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

yep!
    I throw the rice in the bottom, add water, and toss the chicken on top, and bring it to pressure. Usually about 5-7 minutes for white rice (we use basmati mostly) and they are both done. Brown rice takes longer, like 20-25 minutes, so I don't put chicken in with it.

keepscrappin and amien1 like this.
  9. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Thanks I'll go check out your board!

djp332 likes this.
  10. keepscrappin

Definitely wait for Black Friday sales. Amazon always seems to put them on sale for prime day and Black Friday. Also watch Sam's Club and Costco. I have 2 IPs. One is 6 quart that we use for most things, especially rice and eggs. I bought an 8 quart this summer at Sam's Clubs and used it for potatoes for potato salad. I think the 8 quart one will come in handy for holiday cooking as my family is growing, especially now that my kids are starting to marry. Gotta have lots of mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    jenn mccabe likes this.
  11. keepscrappin

I just heard about pot in pot cooking with the instant pot. I haven't tried it, but I bet you could find a recipe online.

amien1 likes this.
  12. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

They are very prevalent at Wal-Mart now. I saw a large display as I walked in. Then there were 2 small displays of them elsewhere in the store. One was an IP/air-fryer combo. I didn't look at the prices since I already have one.

keepscrappin likes this.
  13. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I seem to go in phases when I use my IP. I don't always find that it's faster, but I love it for things that traditionally take several hours to make.

keepscrappin likes this.
  14. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I have one but I’m slightly scared of it... lol!

15. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

bestcee and keepscrappin like this.
  16. keepscrappin

weaselwatchr and amien1 like this.
  17. bcnatty

bcnatty Disney - it's all for the kids!

Ooohhhh...I LOVE my IP!!!! Forget to take something out for dinner? Throw it frozen in the IP and less than an hour later have a delicious meal!!
    I love trying out new recipes that I find on Pinterest, so I'm good to go to try anything in there!!

bestcee likes this.
  18. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I got mine on Black Friday and yes it still sits in the box! I am afraid of it. I have no idea why, lol.

I think I am convinced I am not going to let the pressure out right?

And then I made the mistake about reading some post somewhere that someone’s child got injured by one!?!

I HAVE MAJOR IP FEAR!

most likely irrational I am sure but it is there.

19. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

thanks for posting this!! Maybe I will calm down

keepscrappin likes this.
  20. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I seriously felt the same way and then I realize I have been using a pressure cooker for 35+years and this is WAAAAY safer than that. Now, I use it AT least twice a week.

weaselwatchr and keepscrappin like this.