Do you back up?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by lorryfach, Jan 15, 2015.

1. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

I had to send my laptop in for repair, and even though the repair had nothing at all to do with the hard drive (they only replaced the fan) they had wiped everything. :dizzy Reason #1 I'm glad I back up.

After restoring everything, somehow I must have accidentally double-clicked an older version of my Lightroom catalog, because I was using a different one than I thought I was. I deleted the wrong one and lost a week's worth of photos. Not the hugest deal, but, still a bummer, right? Or not. I just opened up the CrashPlan software and clicked to restore the one I deleted. Now I've lost nothing. :woot Reason #2 I'm glad I back up.

And that's just this week!

I hope you are all backing up! With so much of our lives being digital these days, it's SO WORTH IT! :beat

That's all... :carryon

2. Shivani

Shivani I live in an anemonemone. An amnemonemomne.

Great reminder Lorry. So glad its worked out for you. I wouldn;t know what to do if something similar were to happen!!! eeepppsss!!!
    Going to back up tonight...DEFINITELY :)

3. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

you are so very right.....

now, I would add, on my experiences...if you back up on an EHD... think about investing on Online Back Ups.

I had two external hard drives fried up in diofferent opportunities.
    One was years ago, I didn't have any other back ups...lost all the data on the EHD- all my back ups for 2 years, which were mainly photos, I wasn't scrapping at the time-

The next time was a few months ago....and boy, was I glad I had online back up?
    I sure did.
    First I accidentally deleted a whole folder with kits, even the ones I tagged to use-
    Then one of my EHDs just went, no explanation, I went to my online back up and got it all back-

I had BackBlaze for almost 3 years until last year, when they sent me an email saying they had to stop my back ups, something from their end, they didn't explain too well for someone like me who is technology challenged (a way of saying am ancient :giggle ) and said I should uninstall and install again-
    I asked for guidance, on Skype, chat or I even offered to call them...
    they refused.
    We exchanged emails in which I explained why I feared that I may end up deleting my whole hard drive if I didn't have guidance, but every time they refused-

The Trista told me about Crash Plan and Nini got me a discount voucher...I spoke to them on the online chat one two one, even before I pay, they were awesome-
    I haven't had a problem when I needed help all this time, every time the people who come to the chat are great and even make you feel good about not knowing how to get around your own computer....

An online back up cost average £40 a year but you can always get some discount ...I would honestly say this is the best money I spent in my life since I bought our first computer!!!!!

4. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

YES! i have been in computer HE$$ for the last few weeks. I think its Yosemite that did me in. My hard drive was wiped clean but I have everything backed up (TWICE) so didn't lose anything except my sanity ... still dealing with a finicky computer and lots of issues. But the comfort of knowing all my precious photos are all safe helps me sleep at night!

5. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I do back up, but only myself. I have an extra internal hard drive in my home PC that I run SyncToy to backup once a week. I store everything on an EHD so I back that up to my PC. Then I have another EHD at work (offsite) and I back up to that once a week too. If anything happened I could lose up to a weeks worth of scrapping, but that's about it. I never delete a picture off my camera or phone until it's been backed up both places. I really should do Crashplan, but I'm too cheap. Isn't that dumb?

6. talivstouwe

talivstouwe Am I really that rotten? I can't remember. I'm s

I sure do. I have both an EHD and I do Backblaze (which I use on both my PC and on my EHD). I like being doubled up as I've heard way too many stories of EHD failures.

7. lynning

lynning Makes wishes come true

I have two EHDs for my pictures, scrap supplies, and documents then I also have a Flickr pro account for my pictures.

8. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

9. sarahbhb

sarahbhb Happy Anniversary babe! Now, pack up!

I use Crashplan as well..I've been doing online backups for about 3 years now. Thankfully I've never had to use them but I sure like knowing it's there. I lost almost 2 years worth of photos from when DD was a toddler. Seriously broke my heart. I still am saddened by it. Luckily they were from back in my paper scrapping days so I have prints of some of them....but that crash definitely taught me the value of backing up.

10. toriloowho

toriloowho Yep… I'm an over thinker.

I haven't gone the online backup route (other than Zenfolio for pictures, Persnickety for my layouts and Dropbox for phone photos and other random bits of life).... but I'm going to look into it soon. I'm on my way to take my laptop for service. And I had to use Time Machine to restore my computer back to before I upgraded to Yosemite, too. I've remembered to copy everything to EHDs, but would feel better about having everything backed up somewhere else, too.

11. SirScrapalot

SirScrapalot Tackling my to-do list with gusto

I've had a loss too, and was so glad I had backed up...

12. Pallavi01

Pallavi01 You have that sharp, useless look about you

I had a loss and HADN'T backed up .... I lost one of my most precious photos - my son being born. I back up every photo n layout ever since. I have to start backing up my supplies though - haven't backed them up in a while

13. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

I have my photos in a couple of spots, but that's it.
    I need a couple more EHD's honestly. I'd rather back up all in house.

My husband's toy'd with the idea of creating our own "server thingy" (insert geeky tech wording here) for us. My problem is patience, I'm like man, shouldn't my 4 million gigs of photos and scrap stuff zip on over in like 10 seconds these days? lol

14. thimbleberrie

thimbleberrie Oooh, shiny!

yes, yes and Yep.....after loosing everything...

15. 4noisyboys

4noisyboys Being a Grandma is the best!

I back up and I've used Backblaze for years as well.

16. twomoredays

twomoredays Her name is Rio and she dances on the sand

I did a lot of research into online backups a few months ago and settled on Crashplan and then.. never signed up. Eeek! I use a time machine to back everything up locally, but I really need to get online backups. I use Flickr for backing my layouts up until then. I compared some options here, if anyone's interested in looking into it.

17. buzinettescrap

buzinettescrap I'm just a geek with dizzy feet!

oh yes tahnks so much for the remind Lorry. In fact i'm back up often but not since next november. Now, i know what i made this week end ;)

18. PLM

PLM I know there's something in the wake of your smile

I am backing up on 3 external hard drives, but as you know I had been trying to take Crashplan.
    Unfortunately they did not take the type of my bank card. Now, I asked for VISA and am waiting for my card. And then: Crashplan here I come!!!!

19. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

Back up, back up, back up. Always. I lost a bunch of stuff once. That was once too much. I learned my lesson.

20. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

I back up continuously with Backblaze and periodically with two EHDs.