DIY?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Tree City, May 2, 2019.

1. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

NINE months? *faints* That's a pregnancy. They birthed a kitchen! I'm with you: I couldn't handle that much chaos for so long. It's great that you could rig a "intermediate kitchen" while the fixed the counter issue.

It's cool you got to do work on your home! And I think landscaping can be tough, too. (Why doesn't my yard cooperate with me when I plant something lol?) It'll be nice to have a skill swap with your friend. You both get something great out of that!

That description cracked me up! "no skills, just enthusiasm" lol! I bet you're a great cheerleader and assistant for him when he works! :)

Yeah, plumbing and electric both scare me. DH and his dad, a retired engineer, put a new outlet plug in our family room (the old outlet had a prong from an outlet cover stuck in it). Anyway, I was a nervous wreck the whole time, and that was a pretty straightforward process.

2. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

The one and only time I tried to hang wallpaper, I had it wrapped around myself. BWAHAHA I said "enough"!

Tree City likes this.
  3. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

A few years after we moved into our current home, we ripped out the wall-to-wall carpeting and replaced it with a wood flooring. It was 100% DYI, me and DH. Unfortunately it took us 2 years to finish the job, working weekends and sometimes in the evening when we weren't too exhausted from our day. But I learned to use a chop saw and a router in the process. :-)

Tree City likes this.
  4. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

5. slfam

slfam Chocolate or vanilla? I can't decide!

Kisses!!!

6. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

In our old house, I did a lot of painting and ripping up carpets - that was fun!

Our new house was entirely done by the builders, too complicated for us. Although we did do the back deck enclosure and steps by ourselves, that's the best thing we have done while we have been here. I am happy to take on plumbing jobs and landscaping but nothing much else.

here are our steps -
    [​IMG]
    not bad for complete novices in carpentry!

bellbird and Tree City like this.
  7. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I've done a lot of DIY! I've painted rooms, refurnished furniture, installed a garbage disposal and even fixed my 22 year old washer and dryer. Thank goodness for youtube! That and some elbow grease have saved us a lot of money.

[​IMG]

Tree City likes this.
  8. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

9. Tree City

:compcoffee

May I ask, did you rip out the carpet all at once, or did you go room-by-room? (I must admit, the 2 years isn't the problem here, but I can't lie: the "having my whole house floor-less" would bother me lol.) And yay for learning some tool skills!

Whoa, Karen, they look wonderful! You did a fantastic job!

Seriously! YouTube is where I learned how to take the stopper out of my bathroom sink so I could unclog a bathroom sink drain. (It was clogged when we moved in and I assumed it was hair and stuff, so I didn't want to call a plumber.)

keepscrappin likes this.
  10. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

@Tree City We tore it up by level. Main floor, then two staircases, then the upstairs. We have an open floor plan, not a lot of closed off rooms. It was pretty discouraging at first, but we got used to the mess. DH is an asthmatic, he had a hard time living with the wall to wall... And it was so worth it. Looks great and we saved thousands of dollars.

Tree City likes this.
  11. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

Karen @KarenW that looks AMAZING! I need to come down for a visit and we can sit there and have a wine or two!

[​IMG]

bellbird, Ferdy and Tree City like this.
  12. Ferdy

Ferdy No.More.Chaps.and. Leathers!

13. KarenW

@amandac always welcome, we have a spare bed!
    What isn't shown is around the corner, are a couple of very comfy couches that are very nice to curl up in with a glass or two of wine - very good for passing the time chatting with friends...

Tree City likes this.
  14. amandac

Now that sounds like a plan my scrappy twin!

15. Tree City

@KarenW and @amandac I may be half a world away, but count me in, too!
    [​IMG]

amandac likes this.
  16. KarenW

plenty of room! We can get @bellbird to come south and we are well into having a party!

Tree City likes this.
  17. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I don't think I'm awake enough for DIY, late night bingo & all, will pop back to see everyone's handy work in a bit!

Tree City likes this.
  18. amandac

Well if we are going to drag Justine down to Canberra Karen, then Ona @wombat146 needs to fly over from Tassie for it too! :giggle sounds like a get together! Anymore Aussies want in? Karen's deck is going to be crowded if we keep this up haha

[​IMG]

Tree City likes this.
  19. DigiGrace

DigiGrace Make mine a purple passion

kissed the frog!

20. DigiGrace

DigiGrace Make mine a purple passion

@amandac Amanda, love your adorable and beautiful siggy!