DIY?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Tree City, May 2, 2019.

1. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

We've been working on our house this winter/spring. Lots of the work has been done by us, and it made me wonder: When it comes to your home, do you "do it yourself"? For example, do you paint rooms, renovate your kitchen, tile a floor, or build your own deck/fence/patio? I know lots of people rent, but do you do little plumbing jobs instead of calling your landlord? Or do you save yourself the time (and the headaches!) and let the pros handle the job? Perhaps you're like me and you hire out some stuff but tackle other projects on your own? :) What's your proudest DIY job?

2. Tree City

DH and I redid our laundry room. The washer broke the day after DD's concussion (timing, amiright?!) and I said "This is the sign we needed. It's time to redo this space." We got the new machines asap, but the rest took a little time to come together (like 6 or 7 weeks). I caulked around the countertop yesterday, which was the final step in the project. Now it's time to decorate! :bunny (I'll post a "before/after" photo later--I need to get them off my phone and resize them. A photo would do it justice more than my words could lol.) Right now this room--a room where I curse the clothes my family wears rofl--is my proudest DIY project, but the biggest project was our fence. We started building it like a month after moving in. DH and I made some stupid--but thankfully correct-able--mistakes with that project, but it taught us a valuable lesson: we will never renovate a whole home together. :giggle

3. bcgal00

bcgal00 Feeling lazy with my coffee and book

Mostly it's my hubs who is the handyman around here. He's able to fix some appliance problems and minor electrical things. He has done a number of remodeling jobs in our home and then over the years slowed down and hasn't done any renos in a number of years. He's put in new tiling, countertops, cabinets and flooring. He's got a bad back now so if a job is too time consuming now he will hire someone. But it also helps that even if he doesn't do the reno or fix something, he knows what needs to be done and can talk the lingo with a worker about it. Me...I know nothing LOL.

Tree City likes this.
  4. Karen

Karen Alarm off, brunch ON

I love to DIY, but mostly because we couldn't afford to do much if we had to pay someone else. We did pay for carpet installation and when we had our hardwood floors refinished last spring, but otherwise, I'm always all for trying to do it myself. My hubby is usually more reserved, but only because he doesn't want to get sucked into my crazy ideas and end up having to do the heavy lifting. Lol. I'm currently dreaming about gutting my master bathroom. We have a huge jacuzzi tub that has been used about 10 times since we moved in 17 years ago and and TINY stand up shower that gets used at LEAST twice a day. I want a place I gave shave my darn legs more easily. :giggle So I'd love to rip out the giant tub and then tile in a massive shower in it's place. I have no idea what I'm doing for the framing in part, but I have done tiling in the past and enjoyed it. I also can do plumbing in a pinch and my hubby can too, but like i said, he doesn't love when I pull him into my projects. Ha ha!

My proudest DIY was when I installed new windows in my bedroom in my first house that I owned by myself. I had no landlord, so it was up to me. :) And they worked! That's also the house where I learned to do a new tile floor.

Tree City likes this.
  5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I did some painting of various rooms between 2002 and 2010. That was a big step for me. But these days I am not able to do even that. I am not handy at all. Putting a nail in the wall is about it these days. My dad did a lot of the maintenance on the house until he moved in 2000. But there were even things he wouldn't do and he was a laborer all his working life.

So I hire things out. It may be more expensive but in the long run, it gets done much faster. My bathroom was done in a week. My kitchen/dining room/new flooring was done in 3 days if you don't count the screw up by the company that cut the counter top! It took another 2 weeks for that to get fixed but I had a functional kitchen during that time.

New flooring in 2 bedrooms (master and guest) took about 6 hours. New flooring in office took about 3 hours. All done by the same contractor that did the flooring in the rest of the main floor.

My patio and landscaping was done by a professional. Yes, I paid for it but it is awesome! I have allergies so cannot work in the yard and they come by and do weeding several times each year. They also clean up winter debris in the spring. They just landscaped my front beds this spring (after 2 years of nothing to try to get rid of the weeds... needed heavy duty weed killer for that cause roundup wasn't doing it).

I had my basement gutted this winter after I did a clean out. A neighbor and his friend did it. It did take longer to do since they both have full time jobs but as long as I could get to the washer/dryer, I didn't mind. I don't use the basement. Now it is empty of all junk and what is stored down there is organized.

I am adding cupboards to my kitchen and having the same company do it so everything matches. That will be done sometime this month and will probably take about a half a day.

So yeah. I hire professionals to do things for me.

Tree City likes this.
  6. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

We do a bit of both. I like to paint- so all the painting of accent walls & such in our house have been all me. My hubby likes to build things, so we have a number of little side/end tables & shelves/racks that he has made. We just finished our basement & hired out for that. We originally had planned doing a lot of it ourselves, but we are so strapped for time with the kids' activities & both working that it seemed impossible to make any progress. Our contractor was great tho and anything we wanted to do to save $$ he was fine with. My hubby did all the insulation, I did the painting & we installed a number of the fixtures, shelving units, etc. I attached a few pics I took the other day after we got the last bookshelf installed! :D
    20190411_190848.jpg 20190429_100832.jpg 20190429_100927.jpg 20190429_101003.jpg 20190429_101017.jpg

7. djp332

djp332 Dude. They're on your head ...

We try to do what we can, but we also know our limitations. I've learned how to lay ceramic tile floors, but I can't do it anymore. We clean what carpets we have and have refinished the hardwood floors. We paint. We remodeled half of our kitchen but had a professional do the rest. Same with the bathrooms - we did the floors and paint but called someone in for the drywall and installation of toilets and showers.

Tree City likes this.
  8. LeeAndra

LeeAndra Step aside, Arwen!!

We have a rental & I'm not the handiest person around (or ever) but I am looking forward to some simple (and with help) DIY projects & art when we get a more permanent place. I have a four-canvas art piece inspired by a song mash-up that I'm going to QR code on the bottom (so you can hear the song while you look at the art) that is calling my name...

AJK and Tree City like this.
  9. Tree City

Oh that's good! They can't just fast-talk him/overwhelm him with jargon. It's cool he could do so much around your house.

OMG, I could have written this, word for word. (I could have written the "reserved husband getting pulled into my crazy ideas" line, lol!)

This is a very good point: "time vs money" is a very important factor. When DH and I rented a home, we could barely afford the $75 service fee to have repair people come to the house. (Don't even get me started on the ridiculousness of that fee.) So when the dishwasher acted up, DH looked into it and it was a $5 part and he could handle replacing it. Easy peasy! Now we have the money but DH doesn't have the time lol, but DH still wants to try doing stuff himself. IDK if it's, like, a pride thing?

Karen likes this.
  10. Tree City

I meant to say that this shows exactly what the "time vs money" thing is all about: time-wise, half a day is nothing. NOTHING! If the average person were to do it herself, I bet it would take a week (or at least, it would take me that long,. It took DH and me a couple hours to get a wall and base cabinet in place. (That's literally start to finish, including putting tools away and stops to take care of whiny kids lol.)

Looks awesome! And it's great that your contractor was willing to "let" you guys do some work too. I loooove that you have a walk-out basement. So jealous! (We don't even have an egress window down there...yet. That's something on the "hire a pro" list lol!)

And that's important, isn't it? THat's a good way of putting it. I won't let DH do big electrical stuff. He gets annoyed, but it scares me!

That sounds awesome! What a cool idea! Hurry up and make it so you can share pics! :giggle

11. AJK

AJK But I don’t want to go among mad people!

WANT TO SEE that!!!!
    @Tree City No major plumbing nor electrical. Everything else- yup we do it. Don't have to do the yard though- landlord has that done. Will be planting my sunflowers this weekend!

Karen and Tree City like this.
  12. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I've always loved painting walls, but that's about my limit. I can't even hang wallpaper, but DH can and my oldest DD loves to wallpaper, so I let them do it.

DH is really handy with everything except electricity! He's not fond of plumbing either, but has build me a lot of things, like decks and furniture over the years.

13. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic College was bad for my reputation

We DIY most everything unless it's something huge like the roof or something. And by we, I mean me :giggle. I'm the handyman...DH not so much. I love to tackle all the projects, but I have a backlog right now. I've lived in this house for 28 years, so I've done lots of painting, fixing, lighting, etc. I really want to do the bathroom and laundry room next. I did totally redo my daughter's room when she moved out. I ripped up carpet, painted, redid the floors, etc. I also ripped all the carpet off my stairs, refinished the wood and painted the risers.

14. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom Practically Perfect in Every Way

I'm a DIYer. My dad was a Mr. Fix-it, and he taught us to do everything, or at least how to figure out how to do just about anything. Unfortunately, my DH isn't a Mr. Fix-it and I get stuck fixing everything, and when I can't it gets left unfixed (which is why we now need major renovations around the house!). Everyone expects me to fix everything - and I mean everything! - and I'm just burned out right now.

Tree City likes this.
  15. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Yep, having things in a torn up state for a long time is something I can't handle. When I had my kitchen done, a high school classmate posted pictures of her kitchen remodel... that took them 9 months since they did it themselves on weekends. Much of that time was without appliances. They did put a refrigerator in the garage for some items but ate out most of the time. In warmer weather, they used the grill. My 3 day remodel included tearing up over 600 sq feet of flooring to put down new, tearing out old cabinets, patching a ceiling, painting several walls and the installation of new cabinets in the kitchen, a dishwasher (and plumbing to go with it), installing shelves in the dining room and new lighting fixtures with electrical run for one of them. 4 guys did the work.

The company that cut the new countertop screwed up the sink area so I did have to wait 2 weeks for the new one. Once it was in, they finished up the backsplash tiling and grouting. They had not yet gotten rid of the old countertop and sink so they put it in for that 2 week period so the kitchen was usable. In fact, I had the microwave back on day 2. New appliances in on day 3 and working.

I have layouts in the gallery of the before and after.

[​IMG]

The new cabinets with a desk in between them are going on the wall that currently has a server. And, I am getting a different sink. I hate the single sink and want a double one again. When I talked to them last week I asked how long it would take and they confirmed my thought of half a day. Well, as long as they don't run into problems!

Being a single, non-handy woman, I could never do anything like this on my own. That's why I am glad there are companies out there that do this!

Tree City likes this.
  16. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz blessed

A little bit of both around here.

We almost updated our whole 1st home (bathrooms, floors, walls, kitchen)...with some help from my brother.

When we built our current home we did a much as we could with our ability and time. We helped put on our porch, paint, siding, etc... We've since repainted a few rooms, added wallpaper, built some custom shelves, etc...

My husband can fix almost anything with the help of youtube - he's fixed many things: dishwasher, dryer, washer, etc... He's even designed and built a playhouse/playground for our kids.

My most current project that I've been wanting to do...for about 3 years now is landscaping. This is something that I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. I recently discovered that a friend of mine loves landscaping and gardening. She's going to help me "design" our landscaping in exchange for me teaching her photoshop! Now we just have to come up with time to actually do this!

17. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

My hubby Tony DIYs, but I am more of a labourers assistant as I have no skills, just enthusiasm lol

[​IMG]

Karen, Tree City and amien1 like this.
  18. Eyeore

Eyeore Think it over, think it under

Hubby does a lot around the house, but plumbing and electrics we get the pros in.

Tree City likes this.
  19. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Kiss kiss

20. Tree City

Oh, it's nice you don't have to worry about the yard! And I love sunflowers. I planted mine last week. :)

Hey, if they can hang wallpaper...let them! lol! It works out to have them do it so you don't have to! That's a good balance lol. And my DH isn't fond of plumbing stuff either. He gets nervous because if something leaks, it's such a huge mess (and a huge expense to rip out and redo whatever got water damage). Actually, I recently bought leak alarms. They beep if they get wet. I put them under sinks and near toilets.

Oh wow, I didn't realize you'd been in the same house for 28 years! How wonderful that you've been able to make changes and see the progression through the years! As for redoing your daughter's room: that's what my mom did basically the moment I moved out for college. I swear she'd been plotting it since the moment I got my acceptance letter! (She hired out all the work, though. She and my dad are happy to hire the pros.)

On the one hand, I want to say how cool it is that your dad taught you all those valuable Fix-it skills! On the other hand, it does become overwhelming if you're the one doing/fixing everything. I'm sorry you're feeling burned out and I hope you find a way to recharge!

QuiltyMom and Cherylndesigns like this.