Displaying Photos at a Funeral

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Spacecadetswife, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Spacecadetswife

Spacecadetswife Well-Known Member

My mother has dementia and is in a nursing home. Her mind is totally gone. She was diagnosed about six years ago. I don't expect her to be with us for much longer. Honestly, it will be a blessing for our family, especially my poor father, when she's finally called home.

I want do something with her photos for display at her funeral. I feel a sense of urgency about this. I know I need to do it now, as I'm quite certain that when she finally passes, I'll be in no shape to be dealing with this.

I was considering something like this:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/24/0e/95/240e9541412f407d3f55e2c331b09c45.jpg

I like the way they stuck to a consistent backing for the photos. I really like Lynn Grieveson's "Life in Pictures" Album #1. I was thinking of putting them in the frames on the pages and then cutting them out (in Photoshop) around the frame and then sending them off to the printers to put them on really nice paper. Or maybe her Album #3 would be better? I live in Virginia, and my parents are in Florida. I'd need to the photos printed up and ready to go.

https://the-lilypad.com/store/Life-in-Pictures-Album-No1.html
    https://the-lilypad.com/store/Life-in-Pictures-Album-No3.html

I'm also really liking Paula Kesselring's new bundle. Although, I'm not sure how I would incorporate that.

https://the-lilypad.com/store/Vintage-Flowers-Special-Bundle.html

Just wondering if any of you guys had done something like this or had some ideas or suggestions on what to do? Thank you.

2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

The funeral home gave me 3 black boards that I could put photos on. By having separate boards, they had them placed at different locations on easels in the room. People could look at them while in line and there was no congregating around them. They also have a video set up that if you give them a thumb drive with photos, it will play on a loop. There were several monitors in the room that it played on.

I had gone through physical photos and pulled out ones I wanted to use that had not been scanned. Mostly older photos. My last trip to see my father (although I didn't know it would be the last one at the time), I took the photos and asked him if he remembered who some of the people were in the group photos. One photo was just random people so I chose not to use it when he passed a month later.

I had also gone through digital photos the last few years and put them into a separate folder on my hard drive. When the time came, I just copied them over to the thumb drive.

The other thing I did since I had been a traditional CM scrapper at one time was pulled some of my layouts out of my albums and put them in an empty album. I also pulled some of my digital 12x12 prints and put them in the same album. You can put traditional and digital in the same CM album. It was set up near the exit door so people could stop and look at it if they wanted. I didn't put too many in it so that it didn't take long to flip through. He had put together a display of his medals from his time in the Navy and we had it sitting there as well.

3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

We also did the boards at both my parents' funerals. The whole family contributed special pictures and two of us assembled them. We found that black, heavy poster board looked the best and showed off the pictures better. We had some of them on stands, and some on tables, all around the two rooms. People REALLY enjoy walking around and looking at pictures at a funeral home. We also had a slide show playing continuously and people really liked that. It was in the front corner and very large. The funeral home supplied us the equipment; all we had to do was give them with the pictures we wanted to use.

I think photographs are such a wonderful and personal touch in times of grieving. Good luck!

4. DivaMom96

DivaMom96 Well-Known Member

I officiate at funerals and I've seen many beautiful boards displayed. I think it's a lovely idea and anything you do will be most appreciated by everyone.

Dalis, AJK and Cherylndesigns like this.
  5. Carla

Carla Well-Known Member

Have you thought about doing a digital one that is shown on a large screen tv? I have been to several that did tributes this way. I am sure that a funeral home can help you with it. It may be as simple as just putting the photos on a disc.

Dalis and AJK like this.
  6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

You know... when my FIL passed away the photo boards were my job and I can't for the life of me remember what I even did. It was all kind of a blur that week. I think the funeral home gave us some poster boards and then they had frames that they fit in, so they could display them on stands. They also did a slide show video that was playing in one of the rooms at the funeral home and that was super cool because we were able to add some videos too.

I know that everyone loves to look at photos at a funeral. It's such a great way to remember the wonderful things a person has done in their life. I love that you're working on it now too. I think you'll be very happy to have it done like you said.

7. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I only had one photo of my mom enlarged and in a frame with some flowers as people went into the church and then I had a video made of some photos of her through out her life that played on a loop with two songs that she had always said that she wanted to have played. Elvis' All shook up. Made everyone smile that knew her, to see her wishes honoured in this way.

So sorry for your loss though, ongoing as it has been for the past few years.

8. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

@Spacecadetswife

I really like @Carla 's idea of making a digital one that can be put out in TV monitors around the funerary home. I love the two sets you have from Lynn and I would use Paula's kit to blend to the background paper on the pages.

9. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

All my family deaths were decades ago except for Dick's granddaughter. She died of cancer age 6 and sadly most of the images her mother selected were from the final 6 months of her life. Very depressing to see that video repeating during the funeral church service.

After Dick 'recovered' :-)heartlub) from his cancer last year I realized I really needed to do a digital folder for each of us. I thought of it again last night so this is my August/September project. I see scanning ahead!

Thank you @Spacecadetswife for this push to get going.

10. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

All my family deaths were decades ago except for Dick's granddaughter. She died of cancer age 6 and sadly most of the images her mother selected were from the final 6 months of her life. Very depressing to see that video repeating during the funeral church service.

After Dick 'recovered' :-)heartlub) from his cancer last year I realized I really needed to do a digital folder for each of us. I thought of it again last night so this is my August/September project. I see scanning ahead!

Thank you @Spacecadetswife for this push to get going.