Digital Pin Exchange!

Discussion in 'Designer Challenges' started by mommyish, Feb 1, 2017.

1. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I've rewatched all the videos and still confused. But while watching the PSE one (even though I use PSCC I hoped it might help) I wondered if we even have to use the action . . . ? Could I just experiment with applying the styles until I get a look I like? Of course I'll try it, I'm just feeling so frustrated right now I'm hoping to get some help from someone who succeeded at this.

bestcee likes this.
  2. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

@michelepixels I'm not going to be much help as I didn't draw my own. Did you watch the drawing by hand video in the first post? I know you said you had watched them all... but since you hadn't mentioned that one specifically, I thought I would ask. It looks like working on a transparent vs. white background makes a difference as well. I'm too chicken to draw my own stuff, or I would try it myself.

3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I see that you have the styles and the actions installed now right?
    I did both.
    I ran the do it all action (on a flattened layer), to see what it looked like. Then I played around with the styles with no action to see what I liked best.

The 'poo' video was the most helpful when it came to mine since I created it.

If you don't want to flatten, you can stamp (cntrl+alt+shift+e) a layer at the top, and bring just that layer into a new canvas to play around.
    @michelepixels

4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I just uploaded two! One is a simple "shapes from PS" and one I drew. :)

5. michelepixels

Yes, I've watched that one too. I'm finding the videos hard to follow.

Yes, the styles and actions are installed. And the action even appears to be running without an error message anymore, but on all the drawings I make, nothing much changes, if anything, after I run the action. The image (which is just one layer) looks pretty much the same, not like the cute pins I'm seeing everyone else make.

I gave up and did other things this evening and just now getting back to it, but now I'm tired again, as it's 9:30 p.m. I'm re-reading through this thread at least, to see if I get any insight. Maybe I'll re-watch the videos again too. I wish there was a written step by step to follow.

Thanks for the responses. I hope I can get this to work; I really wanted to participate in the exchange!

6. michelepixels

See, this is what I get (this is my 4th or 5th shape I've played with today; I've lost count). I drew this using custom shapes and the paint bucket in PSCC. All on one layer. Then I ran all 3 actions, one after another. Why doesn't it look like the adorable pins everyone else is making? :( I've never had so much difficulty with anything else in digiscrapping!
    [​IMG]

mmmbisto and cfile like this.
  7. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

@michelepixels I think for mine, I had each "section" of the image on a different layer, for me to get it to work the right way! I was only getting an outline when I did the whole shape. I might have been doing it wrong, but that was the only way I could get it to work, and look like everyone else's.

michelepixels likes this.
  8. michelepixels

Watching the pink poo video again I got the idea that since I was drawing my own shape I didn't even need to use the actions, just the styles, but it's still not looking like a pin. :(

I'm so confused.

And I'm not insistent about drawing my own. I just thought it would be easier, at least for starting out.

I'm giving up for today. Good night!

9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

@michelepixels The outline totally looks like a pin! If you look towards the edges, you can see it too.

For mine (the flag), I did the separate parts, not it all together because I wanted the blue to have that outline too.
    Here's how I did:
    I copied each layer so I had 2 of each one because I didn't want to rasterize the styles while I was playing with it.
    On one layer I played with the Enamel - thin, small, med, large. I put this layer on the bottom.
    On the other (identical) layer I played with the enamel rim - 3px, 5px, etc. This layer I put on the top because the style makes it just the rim outline. Then when I liked the look, I just saved it.

I wanted to play with the different styles, and see how they changed the pin look, so I took the longer way.

michelepixels likes this.
  10. angiekey

angiekey Permanent residence in the gutter

@michelepixels - I've been sitting back, waiting to see if someone would step in with instructions for you (because I don't want to step on anybody's toes) but I can totally feel your frustration in your posts, and if I can help at all, I want to. So, here goes...

You do not have to use the action. As is the case with many of Mommyish's action/style sets, you can use her turn-key "just press the button" action or you can do it manually, by applying strokes and styles and what-not as you go. I generally prefer to do it that way, because it gives me maximum control over the process.

I think the issue you're having is that everything is on one layer. As I look at your screenshot, you seem to have a "pin" layer that contains the black outline plus the solid color fills. In order to use the style set, you need these separated onto their own layers.

It helped me to think about how these pins are physically made. Enamel pins are first cast in metal, as the pin back and the raised ridges for the outline of the design. Then, they pour liquid enamel into each of the spaces to create the colored areas. The liquid pools into the space, thicker along the edges, and then dries.

So to create one electronically:

1. Create your metal cast
    - that's the outline of your design. It goes on one layer all by itself. Draw it in the color you want the metal to be - any shade of grey works great, or gold - but be aware that black doesn't always show up well with the style (at least, in my experience).

[​IMG]

2. Turn your outline to metal.
    Once you've got your design done, apply style Pin Builder - Metal Rim to that layer.

[​IMG]

3. Start filling the spaces with enamel.
    Create a new layer and fill it with the color for your first enamel section. This layer should be BELOW your metal frame layer.

[​IMG]

NOTE: In one of the videos, Leah walks through selecting the area to fill, then expanding the selection by a couple pixels before filling it. Or you can go back through with the Brush tool and paint in the corners. That's definitely a best practice because you want to make sure the entire shape gets filled with color.

Then apply one of the enamel styles to the enamel layer: Enamel - Thin, Enamel Small, Enamel - Med, or Enamel Large. The one you choose will be entirely based on how you want the pin to look, and how deep the "pooling" of the enamel will look around the edges of your metal frame.

[​IMG]
    I find it easier to understand if I can see the four different styles, side-by-side, for comparison:
    [​IMG]
    Do you see how the "Enamel Large" style makes it look like it's a really deep well into which they poured the enamel? It's pooled up around the sides, and then smoothed out in the middle like a thick, sticky liquid would do. Versus the "Enamel Small" where there's not as much difference between the edges and the center. It's like that well was shallow or they filled it up with more of the liquid enamel.

4. Keep going until you've filled your whole design. I found it easiest to do each section of enamel on its own layer. If you do that, here's what it would look like:
    [​IMG]
    And then apply an Enamel style to each enamel layer:
    [​IMG]

ALTERNATIVELY, you might choose to put all your enamel color on a single layer. If you do this, you need to make sure the different wells of color are separated - otherwise, you won't get that cool look where it pools up next to the metal. Here's what I mean:
    [​IMG]
    I've got two fill layers - one with the enamel separated into individual wells, and the other with the full shape filled, metal channels and all. I've hidden the layer with the metal rims so you can more clearly see what's happening here. So I'll add the style Enamel - Med to this layer:
    [​IMG]
    And do you see how it looks like liquid has been poured into each of those sections? But if I use the layer with the big shape, where all the individual channels are connected, this is what I get:
    [​IMG]
    Hang on, it's easier to see if we do this one side-by-side:
    [​IMG]
    That was a huge eye-opener for me! Once I realized the enamel pieces have to be separated, I started getting the look on the left and it actually looks like a poured enamel pin. :)

If you feel like your pin isn't looking like everyone else's pins, this is probably why.

So, back to our original heart design: we have one layer for the metal outline, with style Pin Builder - Metal Rim applied. Below that, we have a layer for our colored enamel, with one of the 4 Enamel styles applied. If you want to get fancy, you can duplicate the layer with your metal outline, put it below your metal rim, and apply style Metal Rim - Under Shadow. It gives it some pretty depth. That goes below your metal rim layer and above the enamel fill layer.

[​IMG]

And then as a final touch, when you're happy with your pin, merge the layers together, make sure your foreground color is set to the same color as your metal rim, and then play the action "Give It Depth". It will add a really cool edge to the lower right side of your pin that makes it look like a thicker enamel pin, like it's standing off the background by its pin back.

I hope this helps ease a little of your frustration. If you have more questions or run into trouble as you walk through these steps, just let me know - I am happy to help if I can!

PS: Sorry for the horrible terrible quality of these screenshots - I'm rubbish at drawing by hand, but I wanted to get these posted quickly, so ... they are what they are. :)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    Dalis, bestcee and michelepixels like this.
  11. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I had the same issue.. i had to re watch and do step by step as i was overlooking steps. before running the action you need to merge the layers. I was very frustrated and then had the aha when I re watched it again and followed along.

12. michelepixels

Angie, THIS is what I needed! This makes sense. Thank you so much! I will be saving what you wrote as my instruction manual. :love Going to to make pins now!

Thank you Courtney and Jenn and Christa for your help too!

13. michelepixels

Success at last!
    @mommyish I re-submitted it because the first one I sent had artifacts around the edges from drawing the stripes, which I didn't notice until I'd uploaded it to my Smugmug account and viewed it there. :)
    So I followed Angie's very well written steps (THANK YOU!!!) almost exactly. I used Leah's method from one of the videos of making all the enamel sections at once, expanding the selection by 2 pixels before filling, then recoloring them one by one. The only action I used is give it depth, though I barely noticed the change.
    Indeed, my confusion was that I didn't realize there had to be multiple layers. The first video I re-watched yesterday, when I was ready to start making my own, was about using the action, and the first action says "one layer" so I thought we had to have an image of just one layer. (edited to add: Rereading this I realize I'm still confused about the action; I'm just using only the styles now.)
    I'm going to make more, but I'll submit them all at once, not one at a time. I just wanted to share my first one to show that I'd finally succeeded!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    Dalis, lorieh, angiekey and 2 others like this.
  14. mmmbisto

mmmbisto Member

I have been itching to get back and have a go with this but, well. Life. Will be planning on getting a couple more pins done and uploaded this week :)

15. michelepixels

Here's what I've made so far! I've got to stop now and get some other things done. :)
    [​IMG]
    The first two are Photoshop custom shapes (the flower is 3 shapes layered). I created the music pin with a font and a rectangle, and notes from the custom shapes tool. The rest are shapes I got from Vecteezy. My favorite is the dolphin. When I made him I remembered the gradient tool, which makes him look good; and I repeated that technique on the second flower and the fruit too.

Dalis, mmmbisto, lorieh and 3 others like this.
  16. angiekey

angiekey Permanent residence in the gutter

@michelepixels - Girl, look at you go!!! I'm so very glad I was able to help. I wasn't sure if I was getting too detailed with my talk about how enamel pins are physically made, but sometimes, I need to understand the big picture before I can hone in on the detailed steps. I adore the dolphin and that sweet sun! And the gradient fills look fantastic. I've been playing with adding one of Mommyish's Ombré Glitter styles to the color fill before rasterizing the style and applying the enamel style on top of it. It looks all blingy. :D Anyway, just wanted you to know I'm proud of you for sticking with it and if I can ever help with PS techniques or what-not, just let me know.

cfile and michelepixels like this.
  17. michelepixels

You spoke my learning language I think! Applying other styles -- great idea! I'm going to make some more tomorrow. Thanks again!

angiekey likes this.
  18. Amson

Amson Yoo-hoo!

A wonderful way to spend some time this afternoon. Not easy and still learning as you can see. Anyway here is some China blue from me:

[​IMG]

19. mmbstaley

mmbstaley Well-Known Member

I made some cute kitties to share
    [​IMG]

20. mmbstaley

mmbstaley Well-Known Member

and just because I wanted to see if it would work I tried making some transparent enamel charms.... and it did work ;) These turned out pretty cool, I think. Though now I'm seeing we were asked to only share 5 charms, so I guess don't get to share these :huh
    [​IMG]
    Anyway, have fun playing with other decorative styles. I will have to try glittery ones next.