DigiStash Organization

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by LoveItScrapIt, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 1.28.52 PM.png

I'm a mac so it is a bit different than PC. I can tag my folders directly (can you do that on PC? I can't remember)...
    I'm using the preview as the folder icon which makes a huge difference for me. I then go to bridge and keep it open while I am working. It's a work in progress. You can see what the folder usually looks like and then what the change looks like, which I love. Below it are dots which are my tagging.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  2. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

@LoveItScrapIt I love LR and started using it pre CC to have a photo catalog and a digi stash catalog. I now have 3 digi catalogs since I use 3 stores mostly. I organize each keyword (after listing all the designers for each store ) - nice because it's the easiest way to add a Z in front of the designer's name when they retire etc because that goes to the end of the designer list for things like MOC.

My key word section is pretty basic until you hit Elements. I have a load of things in there and that's where it helps me the most. I don't do much with color since I can see that and I tend to change the colors on papers etc a lot of the times anyway. I now have added, stripe, plaid and solid to my Papers list which includes only white as a color. Whites are very special to me! Things I've added recently as a main category are cards - any kind of card for PL.

One other thing is to use the name you think of for a keyword e.g. there are sparkles, glitter, and a couple of other words for this kind of thing. I now know that 'glitter' means anything in that broad category as does 'paint' for any kind of blog, spatter etc.

@Coreen Lightroom is the only product I know that comes with a 'prenup' as the woman who did LR training way back when used to call it. All the other software programs and products do not transfer your keyword tagging to other programs. LR does but I don't think many people leave LR for another product. Yrs ago I won a copy of ACDSee (for Mac even!) and the tagging did not follow the products into LR. :badputer

fwiw, I rarely tag photos because they come into LR already date sorted from my iPhone, to Photos, to EHD folders, and finally to LR.

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  3. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

@Coreen Most people who leave PSE go to full Photoshop and you get the best deal with PSCC and LRCC. It is a lot to learn no doubt but it is the standard for digital and there are a zillion free tutorials out there for both programs geared to scrappers, not professional photographers.

4. Coreen

Coreen Active Member

@cookingmylife so pscc and lrcc are both adobe products? do most people use lr to organize both photos and digital supplies and then just do the scrapbooking in pscc?

5. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

That just varies. Many people use LR for just the photos and then Bridge (another Adobe product) for digi supplies. Many use LR for both. And then many don't use either. LOL
    We all have unique needs and it depends.
    I actually was in the don't use either lane ...since I started digi-scrapping 9 years ago. I was easily able to find products and photos I wanted to use. However as the years went on, I didn't have a system for knowing what photos I had actually scrapped already. So I started just keeping double photo albums which got to be a pain in the neck and in the hard drive space. Soooooo
    I am tagging photos in LR and I am going to use that to also tag when I scrap a photo using the color codes or star rating.

I use Bridge to tag my digistash. Only kit previews and templates. I tag kit previews with common themes, such as baby, holiday, etc. And I tag templates with how many photo spots they have.

I am new to this, but I scrapped the other day and it was so easy to find a template I was impressed.

And yes we scrap in PSCC ...or many use PSE.

6. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

It's totally individual!

I scrapped with PSE for about 18 months, then switched to Photoshop Creative Cloud and Lightroom Classic on a deal. I love using Lightroom to organize my photos! I like to be able to pull out photos of specific events, or even just people. My tagging lets me pull just photos of my son and I , or just photos of the three of us, or however I want to narrow it down. (If that doesn't make sense, I can expound!)

I hadn't worried too much about organizing my supplies. I keep them in folders by store and designer because I wanted to know what I could use in monthly challenges. I still keep them that way, but I wish I had taken the time to organize it slightly. Even as little as a theme tag. Because I can search pumpkin, but I might get Halloween, fall, garden, or farm type kits. And I may miss a cute Halloween kit that doesn't have a pumpkin (unlikely, but you get the idea!).

My organizing and photo process has evolved over the years since I started in 2013. And I'm sure it will continue to evolve as I keep telling my stories. As long as it works for you, there is no wrong way.

7. LoveItScrapIt

8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

You have to import the photos to access any Lightroom functionality. I don't know of any way to use the tools in the program without importing your photos first.

bestcee and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  9. LoveItScrapIt

that's what I figured, lol

gonewiththewind likes this.
  10. gonewiththewind

If you have photos that you just want to import to edit and not keep them in the catalog, I'd just put them in a separate folder, import that photo and do your edits, then export into another folder. Then once you've confirmed the exports, remove the original folder from Lightroom.

I have done that before with a custom scrapbook order I had. I needed to edit the photos, but didn't want them to remain in the catalog because they're not **my** photos, you know? So I just added them in, edited, exported, and then removed them. It was a good way to keep track of the photos I'd edited and scrapped as well.

11. LoveItScrapIt

Cool idea!! Thanks

12. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

So after tonite's chat with Cheryl, I was all psyched to get Bridge. Problem is I still have windows 8. It shows that you can download earlier versions of Bridge for windows 8 but I can't find the downloads. I just keep circling back to the sytem requirements for earlier versions and no link for earlier versions...

I think it may work with what i downloaded

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  13. gonewiththewind

@weaselwatchr Maybe it will work with what you've downloaded. I know late last year Adobe changed what they would be supporting with older Windows versions.

weaselwatchr likes this.
  14. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I lost valuable scrapping time looking for a download that is a mystery, lol. I will try it tomorrow. Love the chat BTW

15. gonewiththewind

@weaselwatchr Sorry you lost scrapping time! No bueno! After fresh eyes tomorrow, if you need more help, let me know. I download from the Creative Cloud application on my desktop, so I don't have a link to share with you of the previous versions.

16. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Posting here so I can find this thread when I’m next on my pc