Didn't realise I was this much of a hoarder....

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Sep 29, 2021.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Been going through my supplies in prep for DSD and realised just how much unused stuff and similar themes or types I have. Probably 1/2 to 2/3rds of what I've bought this year is unused at this point....I've now tagged it so I look there first but whether that will truly help I'm not sure.

I know I will be tempted over DSD so how do you figure out what to get? I have no real photos in mind for a number of reasons so am at a loss as to how to navigate.

MrsPeel and keepscrappin like this.
  2. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

When you're looking at kits to purchase, go through your photos and find ones you think you'd scrap with those kits. You could also put a shortcut to the photos you want to scrap with the kit in the kit folder after you unzip it.

Or you could go through your photos and tag or make a list of themes, etc that you need kits to scrap them with.

HTH :agree

MrsPeel likes this.
  3. littlekiwi

@keepscrappin I don't have a tonne of new photos at the moment so choosing based on photos isn't really going to work....the past few years have been survival for me and my family so photos haven't been high on my priority list. I'm just hugely tempted by new stuff and sales and they get me every time! I probably have enough to scrap a tonne of pages as is but know that come the weekend I'll be in the shop at least once. And yes, I kind of have a budget but its flexible

4. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I did something like this the other day. I went through my spreadsheet that lists photos to be scrapped and wrote down which ones need to be done since they are spread out over multiple years. I listed the year/month/event on my list so I know where to find the photos and it would give me an idea of what kind of kits I might need... Right now it is football since I'm streaming games every weekend and doing screenshots to scrap for my cousin (his son is the player). I'm tired of using the same 2 kits for every football layout!

@littlekiwi in your case, maybe just put kits that catch your attention on your wish list if you don't have anything to use them for at this time. I've done that the last few scrapping events and have found that after some time I realized I don't need the kit or don't even like it anymore. Other than that I have no other ideas for you.

5. littlekiwi

@HavaDrPepper I do wishlist all the time and regularly go through it and clear it out (I'm doing that right now while doing Pick Your Prize).

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I like just popping things in my cart that catch my eye. Then I'll go through and if it's really themed, unless I have photos for it, I'll pass on that and go with more generic kits. I'm the opposite of you, though, as I have a ton of photos!

MrsPeel likes this.
  7. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

@littlekiwi I have a similar problem: too many unused kits; not nearly enough photos; and an apparent inability to avoid the temptations of new releases and event-based sales!

And my suggestions are definitely from the "Do-As-I-Say, Not-As-I-Do School of Advice," since I do find it difficult to stick to my own guidelines :LOL That said, here are a few guidelines that I try to follow to rein it all in:

First, I have a 3-paper rule. Three patterned papers, that is, because for me, it's all about the patterned papers. When a kit catches my eye, I take a good, long look at the patterned papers. If I don't see at least three (but preferably more) patterned papers that I love, and that I can imagine actually using, I don't buy the kit. Big, bold, floral print? I might love the pattern, but I know I'm just not going to use it, so that's not going to make it onto my list of at-least-three.

Second, I forbid myself from purchasing holiday-themed kits, unless I already have one or more photos that I've been meaning to scrap, that would go perfectly with a given holiday-themed kit. I love Halloween- and Christmas-themed kits, but: I already have so much Halloween and Christmas stuff! .... and, now that my son is in college, and I can no longer snap cute photos of a 6-year-old boy out trick-or-treating, I just don't have the photos to justify the purchase.

Third, I put stuff into my wish list, and then let it sit there for a while. Yes, I might miss out on the sale by holding back on immediate purchase, but how much money are you saving if you buy it on sale but then never use it?

MrsPeel, HeatherB and HavaDrPepper like this.
  8. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

OMG THIS!!!!!!! that was me!!!!!

now I am inclined to look at the theme, or keen on kits that have elements that none else has, I love toooons of elements so I am not the best to give you (@littlekiwi ) advice.... but to me is all about themes, because ion I have no photos, I can scrap a journaled page, or go for a more abstract thing.....
    the wish list is ok for the sale, but I always look first to new releases, or I know I will regret it later.... LOL

as for unused kits?
    I have stuff I bought in 2011 I still haven't used
    :rofl:rofl:rofl

so yes and yes and yes to your opening statement @mary kate !!!!

mary kate likes this.
  9. garrynkim

garrynkim I'm not messy, I'm just really creative!

Someone should make a challenge where we have to use an unused kit from years back!!
    Someone should make a challenge where we have to use an unused kit from years back!!

10. littlekiwi

I was reasonably restrained...now to use it all, that will be the challenge!

11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

12. 3BluEyedBabies

3BluEyedBabies Falling for pumpkin ...

13. G.J.

G.J. If I Could Turn Back Time

Kisses for Bart!

14. littlekiwi

Success....tagging my unused stuff has worked a treat like I'd hoped it would. Since I've done it, I've used from my stash 5 alpha sets, 5 element sets, 4 kits, a paper pack and 4 template sets (not including N/R or SOSN CT products)

gonewiththewind, LivyBug and chastml like this.
  15. LivyBug

LivyBug I should be considered yarned and dangerous.

I'm glad the tagging is helping, Jennifer! It's a pain to go through but so worth it.

16. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

17. meganmecrazy

meganmecrazy Caution: Randomly Breaks Out into Show tunes