Designer suggestion…

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by agoodwin, Jan 14, 2022.

1. agoodwin

agoodwin Member

Not sure where to suggest it but the digiscrap world desperately needs a domestic adoption kit!! I’d love an infant adoption kit but honestly there’s a need for anything! My beautiful 2 year old has been home in our arms since his discharge from the NICU and it’s near impossible to find something beautiful m that has anything to do with adoption. I’ve seen pet adoption and maybe 1 international adoption and then a small kit somewhere else that wasn’t the least bit pretty. I envision something for infant adoption that comes in a gender neutral palette or a boy/girl option, using some of the common adoption quotes/waiting for you/etc. I’d be happy to work with someone on designs/words/events/quotes to include. There’s SO much I want to record for my son (and baby #2 that we are waiting to be matched with) and without anything applicable, it’s a challenge! Thanks for hearing me out!

@ForeverJoy @mirjam @justjaimee @sahlink ??

jk703, honeyandcheese, Soco and 7 others like this.
  2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Fabulous idea and I'm sure a kit like this would be super popular! :agree

agoodwin and cfile like this.
  3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

@Scrapping with Liz Are there any great adoption kits that you've used to scrap?

I know I've just used the regular kits and added word art bits from the pet kits or other random kits or alphas. An adoption kit would be awesome!

Soco likes this.
  4. bestcee

Also, @esahin Maybe you could do an add on to your adorable New Day kit?

Angela Toucan likes this.
  5. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

This is a wonderful suggestion!! As someone who was adopted, I would love having a kit like this for my own personal story!

Soco, bestcee and Angela Toucan like this.
  6. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I did just mix kits together. There isn't a lot out there! Emily Card (from Scrap Orchard) had a kit that I used bits and pieces from.

We are definitely in need of some adoption kits. Maybe even foster care. At least some word bits would be nice to add to other kits. I'd help with some sayings and things too! Maybe even some cutouts for titles.

BevG, Soco, Karen and 2 others like this.
  7. Soco

Soco Shhhhhh. Just shhhhhh.

This theme has been in my to do list since I made my Hope through heartbreak collection. I'd love to work on it and your ideas and suggestions would be really appreciated, ladies. They would be precious to me. :beat @agoodwin @bestcee @IntenseMagic @Scrapping with Liz

8. agoodwin

agoodwin Member

@Soco How can I contact you with ideas? I would LOVE to see something along the lines of your Hope through Heartbreak set :) Our journey to adoption actually started with IVF so we've kind of done it all.

bestcee and Soco like this.
  9. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

YES! This would be great! DH was adopted, I lived with 19 foster children (over 7 years) and we adopted a baby girl from Honduras(now 21 years old). We've not had anything like this to tell the stories. Including phrases for older adoptees (not just babies) would be good!
    ALSO- what about "found families"- my husband reunited with his bio family 7 years ago- after 40 years!!!! THAT's another idea- maybe an ADD ON to the Adoption one. Lost and Found!
    WA suggestion: "Uniquely grafted in" -( to the family tree)

bestcee and Soco like this.
  10. Soco

Just send me a conversation here whenever you want, I'd love to hear your ideas! :beat If not, I will message you anyway as soon as I can start working on this, most probably next month because I already have some deadlines in January. But I'll be happy to do this asap! Thank you!!!

@AJK Love your ideas too! :beat Thank you!!!

bestcee, EHStudios, agoodwin and 2 others like this.
  11. bestcee

@BevG Got any suggestions to add for Soco? I know you have the experience too!

12. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Of course! Long ago I taught a Lifebook class to local adoptive moms. We talked a lot about terms to use, etc.

biological mom/dad
    birth mom/dad
    real mom/dad - the one you can reach out and touch, so this could be the adoptive parent or the foster parent
    born in my heart
    waiting for you
    adoption plan
    dossier
    gotcha day - typically the day we took you home
    referral
    the call (most referrals start with a phone call or text - we have a child for you!)
    the perfect match
    forever family
    welcome home
    adoption day - typically the day the adoption became legal
    family by choice

Artwork - I am going to dump a lot of ideas, much more than what would fit in one kit. Some of which would already be in other kits, i.e. travel kits, family kits, country themed kits, etc.
    lots of hearts of course
    family groups
    stacks of paper (all the paperwork!!)
    certificates (birth, citizenship, passports)
    suitcases, planes, cars, trains
    country (international) or state/region (domestic) cultural items, history, maps
    houses - from your prior home to ours
    all the baby stuff (already in other kits)
    computer (so much is online)
    DNA (searching for relatives)

Sometimes adoption is hard. Special needs, RAD, PTSD, etc. But Love is Strong.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    AJK, agoodwin, bestcee and 1 other person like this.
  13. agoodwin

agoodwin Member

Be careful with “gotcha day,” our agency taught us it was very offensive as it’s mostly used for pet adoptions. Not sure how it converts to other countries or translates to other languages? I do know it rubs me the wrong way when a family member equates her dogs “gotcha day” to the day my newborn came home.

Here’s a few links I found from a quick google search on respectful language Vs terms that some may find disrespectful
    https://www.adopthelp.com/why-positive-adoption-language-matters/

https://adoptionswithlove.org/uncategorized/respectful-ways-to-talk-about-adoption

14. BevG

Loved the articles. Sorry to hear "Gotcha" is now being applied to pets. Things change in 18+ years.

15. BevG

I am not sure if this impacts the kit in any way, but I know three Grandmas that have adopted their grandchildren. In one family the kids still call them Granny (Grandma, etc.) but in the other two families the kids call them Mom. So relationships get complicated.

bestcee likes this.
  16. bestcee

This is my mom. They all call her Mom though. But yeah, people and relationships are complicated.

17. agoodwin

agoodwin Member

I think it’s important to include many text options to provide for different titles. Mom, Grandma, etc :) Then in the journaling you could explain how the relationship is non traditional and just that much cooler. I’d say to include some kinship care terms

bestcee likes this.
  18. Soco

Hello ladies! I just wanted to let you know that I'm finally working on the collection I had promised about the adoption theme. I feel happy and humbled to be creating it. :beat I'm already taking into account your ideas and suggestions here, but if you think of anything else or have a special request, please let me know! I'll be happy to add it to the list. :)

@agoodwin @Karen @bestcee @IntenseMagic @AJK @BevG and of course anyone else not having commented here before, but interested on documenting this theme. :) (I already contacted Liz too, that's why I'm not tagging her here).

19. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

@Soco I am so excited about this! I'll be thinking and come back :)

Soco likes this.
  20. bestcee

@Soco The words that come to my mind are: waiting, visits, paperwork, chosen, wanted, unexpected, it's official. I'd love a gavel or something courtroom/courthouse, maybe a document seal?, since part of everything is the legal part.

IntenseMagic and Soco like this.