Deleting Old PSDs...

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by twomoredays, Nov 16, 2016.

1. twomoredays

twomoredays Her name is Rio and she dances on the sand

So since I've gotten my fancy DSLR my photos take up more and more disk space and I found myself running out. I was using a disk usage utility today and realized that I have old PSDs of layouts that are 700mb! I should just delete them, honestly, but I find myself weirdly attached.

So, what do you do with your old PSDs? Do you purge periodically? Do you hoard them on external drives? Do you live like a rebel and only save .jpgs of your pages?

2. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I'm the rebel and never save my PSDs. I do save the ones of my PL pages, until I print them, but no others. There's only been a handful of times that I wish I had them, and only because of a designer maybe added something after I finished a layout. Typos and things like that i tend to fix on the full size .jpg files and if I decide I don't like how I scrapped a photo, I tend to just scrap it again completely differently. I cringe at some of my older layouts, but I wouldn't change them :).

3. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

i have kept all of mine, but I am itching to purge them all. I can't think of any time I've gone back in to them. If I do decide to keep them, I think I will zip them and move them off my hard drive... write them to some memory card or something. I have really been looking to simplify my digital files lately... workflow, storage, all of it.

4. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

Once I upload my jpgs and get the book. I delete the TIFFs ( i now save as tiff). The high rez jpgs are saved on an EHD.

5. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

If you save them as tiffs you will reduce the space by half or so. Since I work in a a Windows environment, I went from psd to tiff a couple of years ago just so I could see the image in the thumbnail. When printing, I find no difference in quality in tiffs vs. psd files. I keep all of mine because I hardly print anything (I'm really bad at that) and don't want to ditch them until they are printed.

6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I keep my PSDs and I'll tell you why . . .

As happens with all of us, one of my aunts (a great aunt) passed away. My mom came to me with photos and a request for a slide show. I panicked a bit at first, and then started looking at my layouts. It was super easy to convert my 12x12 layouts to 8.5x11 size and exchange out photos and remove journaling/titles to make a beautiful slide show.

This works for other projects as well ~ for last minute albums that you need as gifts, etc. Why reinvent the wheel when you're already created it? LOL

I have plenty of space at this point, so I'm totally OK keeping them . . . but I can certainly understand if space is an issue and you don't think you'll use them again . . . why you would want to remove them after printing. Be sure to keep print ready JPGs though . . . in case you need to reprint!

Lindzee, cfile and HavaDrPepper like this.
  7. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I keep the psd's until I print them to an album. After sending off for printing, I upload my full res images to two other locations, as well as back it up and then I will delete the psd's.

8. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I've started getting rid of my older ones recently but still have kept the past three years psd files! I feel I should purge them once I have my photo books printed but can't quite bring myself to to do it!

9. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

I keep all of my PSDs, especially since external hard drives are relatively cheap now!

mrspotts and cfile like this.
  10. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

Mine are deleted as soon as I upload to a gallery. There has been ..... twice that I remember that I wished I didn't. Both times I just re-did the layout.

11. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I keep all my .psd files. I have one external that I periodically move them too and since I have the EHD already and it's still not full after 10 years of digi scrapping I figure there's no harm in keeping them. AND I have gone back many times to open older files to check fonts or copy parts of a layout or check blending modes, etc. I have used them enough times for me to totally justify keeping them.

cfile likes this.
  12. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I burned mine to CDs and then deleted.

13. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I delete PSD files after they've been printed in my annual album.

14. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I never ever ever keep my TIFFs of my scrapbook layouts.

GASP.

I live on the edge like that.

:moon :moon :moon

15. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

i keep on drive since 2014, prior on a external

i look at old ones and some photos i dont have anymore, and don't know why, the mavica started over with filenames, be that, or corruputed when passing thru windows versions. It a shame, as alot of the layouts, i cut up the photo or something.

16. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I don't save to psd or tiff since I don't use PS. But I do save the PSP equivalent format (pspimage). Ironically, I have had that one time when I wanted to print another copy of a layout for someone else but couldn't find the full size jpg. However, I did have the pspimage file that I could create the jpg file for printing. I also found when doing a test several years ago of doing the same layout in PSP and PSE then saving in their native formats that the pspimage file was much smaller than the psd format. Made my decision not to change programs much easier! I do have the pspimage files on both my hard drive and 2 EHD as well as an online backup. I still have room though but once I do start running out, I'll delete them from the hard drive and an EHD.

17. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I keep all my psd. Forever and ever.

scrappyjedi likes this.
  18. elk2009

elk2009 Hello, gorgeous

I keep mine...sometimes as a reference...have used them several times...sometimes I can't remember the name of a kit by I know which LO it is on so then I can look it up....LOVE Cheryl's idea of using them to create pages for other events...I don't see a problem keeping for space issues...when I grow out of the EHD that I carry to my different computers I will just move the earlier years and products that I am done with to a different EHD.

19. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I keep mine. I've opened them to check out a font, or what size I used the font. I also used one when I couldn't find a photo I needed, but I could find a layout I had used it on previously. So, I pulled it to my new project. I've also used older collages as the basic, and just updated the photos.

That said, I have plenty of room. If I didn't, I would probably delete them after so many years. Especially since I started writing the credits of my pages into the Metadata of my layouts.

20. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I wasn't sure why I always save mine - to look back see how far I've come..... Now I have an even better reason.

gonewiththewind likes this.