December 2022 Book Club - A Good Girl's Guide to Murder

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Sep 3, 2022.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Yahoo! We have another round of voting completed and we have another batch of great books to read together. After voting was complete we were able to narrow the list down a little bit. :giggle We did end up having a THREE way tie for the last book, so I'm going to go ahead and add a couple extras to our list! :D

The book for December is A Good Girl's Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson. Feel free to read our book club books in any order that you choose and when you've finished reading, come back here and tell us what you think. Please label spoilers. We have a new trick for hiding spoilers. Type whatever you want and then highlight the spoiler portion and click the + button above and select Spoiler. If that doesn't work (seems to be funky on Macs) just highlight your text and change the color to white >>>This is a super secret spoiler alert!<<< like I did right there.

This book looks like one to have a lot of spoilers!

[​IMG]

Just a note, anyone is welcome to join in with our book club reading at any time and join in the discussion! The more the merrier! :agree Happy reading!

londoncuppa and Ferdy like this.
  2. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

I really loved this one! I'm definitely continuing on with the series!

If you have access to the audiobook (and enjoy audiobooks), this one has an excellent full cast.

I found this highly entertaining. Excellent on audio with a full cast. I got a little tired of her parents making jokes about how she should be more irresponsible. But otherwise, I really enjoyed it.

Karen and bellbird like this.
  3. Karen

I'm so glad to hear this about the audiobook. I had to choose between the ebook and audiobook at my library because I only had one hold spot left. :giggle I picked the audiobook because it has a shorter wait. I'm looking forward to this one!

plumdumpling likes this.
  4. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i don't think it's a spoiler to say i quite liked this and didn't guess the ending but also felt a bit annoyed at the end too

i liked the running list of the suspects in whatshername's log (i can't follow what day it even is on school holidays, much less remember character names) but i was invested in her and her cold case project, though suffice it to say i liked Ravi more and also that this was a well walked through whodunnit that kept moving -(and yep, if the character/author can spell it out and tell me 'that means X couldn't have done it because it takes too long for them to get from point A to point B' etc and it doesn't make me feel too dumb, more reminds me what i read when i put it down like a week ago before life got in the way, then that works for me at the moment.

Karen likes this.
  5. Laura ODonnell

Laura ODonnell Well-Known Member

I really liked this one. I did the audiobook. The narration was excellent. It reminded me of some true crime podcasts I've listened to in the past.

This one really held my interest. Especially how details came out about Andy. She was a bully. She was selling drugs. She was involved with an older man. It reminded me of Twin Peaks. Very Laura Palmer-ish. Also would not have guessed the ending.

6. scribler

scribler Blanket? Check! Slippers? Check! Sweater? Che

Good to know cause I am always looking for audiobooks that are well done.

7. Laura ODonnell

Laura ODonnell Well-Known Member

The narration can really make or break the book

Karen, bellbird and scribler like this.
  8. Karen

I WAY late to the game, but I finally read this one this weekend. I had it in ebook format from my library, but I kept wanting to flip back to see names and the journal pages, etc, so I actually ended up buying the paperback for this at my grocery store. It was super cute and easy to read.

I had my suspicions about Mr. Ward from the very beginning, but man everyone had themselves on the suspect list at one point or another. I also didn't get the motive for Mr. Ward exactly right and I did NOT see it coming that he abducted the wrong girl and kept her alive for 5 years. Sheesh! Wacko! They were all up to some shady business. I was also rather surprised that this was classified as young adult. There touches on some heavy topics, like drug dealing and rape!

bellbird likes this.