Dec 2021 Book Club - The House in the Cerulean Sea

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Oh. My. Gosh! Thank you for posting out that review Vivi! That is horrific! I didn't know about the "scoop" in Canada and I definitely did not know this author used that as the basis for this book. I really can't believe he was that dumb to use that event as inspiration and then turned it into a fantasy book for other people's amusement. I'm rather mad that I supported this author by reading his book now. :(

2. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

@Karen , I am guessing a lot of people feel that way.
    Like you ,I also think he is dumb for not realizing it would put people of his book, and by actually giving interviews about it made matters worse. Probably think he is clever at "putting light on the subject " but since no one realized what the back story was about before he pointed it out, he made a poor job of doing even that.

Karen likes this.
  3. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Finally finished the paper (hardbacks are not my friend) book. Now I have to go find this GR review but I really liked the book and I'm a bit scared of what the review will change for me!

4. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I read the acknowledgements and authors bit in the back of all paper /ebooks & I'm amazed and disappointed he didn't mention any of this there where it would have been the perfect platform to highlight it if he wished to raise awareness. Without this GR review that clearly points out the background, the book comes across completely differently with more emphasis on general prejudice & mythical creatures & bureaucracy to me

Karen likes this.
  5. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I didn't mean to quote myself above, I meant to quote/tag you Vivi

Karen and Nemla like this.