Dec 2020 Book Club - Seven Days of Us

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I'm posting this one a little early even though the voting is still open until November 25th because this book is a good one for us to read in December and it's already the top vote getter (so far).

You will soon see THREE more new threads in this forum for the next few months (Jan - March 2021). This will allow everyone to start getting these books on hold at your libraries.

The book for December is Seven Days of Us by Francesca Hornak. Feel free to read our book club books in any order that you choose and when you've finished reading, come back here and tell us what you think. Please label spoilers or even type them in white like I just did right here(highlight that blank space) so that a person has to highlight it to read it.

[​IMG]

Just a note, anyone can read these books at any time and join in the discussion at any time too! The more the merrier! :agree

2. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I'm actually reading this one right now. Almost done with it.

Karen likes this.
  3. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Great read!>>>Doctors treating a pandemic. Quarantine. Almost like this year. Too many secrets almost destroyed this family. I really thought everything was working out and it was all going to end happily ever after, but I was disappointed that Sean didn't survive his illness.<<<<

bellbird, Karen and FarrahJobling like this.
  4. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I'm #1 on the list so it should be soon!

Karen likes this.
  5. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

Ok - so after reading about six chapters of this, I realize I read this a few years back. But, I don’t remember that much about it so I’ll just read it again!

Lillyia, djp332 and Karen like this.
  6. Donitab

Well, I have finished the book - again! There were so many parts of this book that I loved.

For one thing, I loved the crazy situations everyone got into. I found myself laughing out loud often at the hilarious antics.

The second thing I liked was the authors ability to turn a good phrase. I found myself underlining quite a few phrases. Here are several:

It was funny how, even once you had children, you never stopped needing your mother. If anything, they made you need her more.

Nicola had said that humor was a defense mechanism—a way of keeping emotion at arm’s length.

Surely home shouldn’t feel so lonely?

She wished Phoebe could still be comforted with hot chocolate and Harry Potter.

I may lose my eyelashes, she thought, but it’s a small price for knowing my grandchild.

And finally I really liked that you saw a positive progression in the familial relationships. I enjoyed the chapters being through the eyes of the different characters so that you could see the events from different perspectives.

SPOILER ALERT

I really, totally HATED the ending of this book. I think Olivia who seemed to be willing to settle for less, really got rooked when Sean died. Phoebe, whom I didn't like as well, ended up with a guy anyway, LESS THAN A WEEK after her engagement break-up. Please! Anyway, over all it was a good book, just stop reading at New Year's Eve and write your own ending, I know I will.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    bellbird, Karen and Lillyia like this.
  7. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

@Donitab a good idea for spoiler alerts is to highlight it in white so that the words are only visible as you scroll over them, that way no one catches any info as they try to go past your post. I don't mind knowing, I'll read it anyway but hiding the text makes it so much easier. Just a friendly suggestion :) Hope you don't mind me saying.

bellbird, Karen and Donitab like this.
  8. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

I'm about halfway through this one and enjoying it so far!

bellbird and Karen like this.
  9. Donitab

I can’t figure out how to highlight in white. My phone won’t let me, any hints

bellbird and Karen like this.
  10. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

@Donitab hmmm...unfortunately I don't see a way to do that on the phone. Are you on your computer when you get home? If so, maybe save your spoilers until then. Darn phones :)

bellbird and Donitab like this.
  11. Donitab

@bcgal00 It works like a dream on the computer. I had no idea that was even possible - thanks!

bellbird, Karen and bcgal00 like this.
  12. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

A quick read which I really enjoyed. Great holiday fluff! and the cover alone would have sold me!!

13. plumdumpling

This one was so close to home this year! I read this while we were in quarantine while my husband had COVID-19. It was a great story and I really enjoyed all of the different stories on each day of quarantine. It really made me think of how even in the same house, we are having such different experiences with the pandemic. I enjoyed all of the characters! <<When Olivia kept having symptoms of Haag, I was having the same thoughts like I had COVID. Every little throat tickle or muscle ache or whatever made me think I had it. Even though I guessed she was pregnant pretty early on, I still was worried right along with her that we all had the symptoms!>>

14. Karen

Well... I'm a tad past December, but I did just finish this one. I will admit that when I first started this book and saw it was about quarantining at home because of an infectious disease, I almost quit right then and there. I'm in the middle of a pandemic, so the last thing I want to read about is a quarantine. But since it's our book of the month, I decided to give it a try. It was a pretty easy read and nothing too in depth. The concept of a family that didn't communicate very well with each other being stuck together for 7 days and finding common ground and making connections was good. The ending made me sad.

bellbird and Donitab like this.
  15. Karen

@Donitab I'm just catching on this thread now that I've finished the book... how on earth did you make that cool spoiler buttton? Super cool!

bellbird likes this.
  16. Donitab

In the options above click on the + button. It gives you an option for spoiler. Enter your spoiler title, click continue, then it gives you a box to type inside.
    It was totally accidental that I found this!

17. Karen

My mind is blown! HOW did I miss that this long! :giggle

You are a rockstar!!!

18. plumdumpling

What a great "Spoiler Alert" tip! Thanks @Donitab

Karen likes this.
  19. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i just finished reading this last night (it was easy enough to read with the dialogue and emails and letters but i kept putting it down, all those 2 page multiple point of view chapters make it easy to stop and start but not so start with MOC but there's nothing like having to take the book back to the library to make me read faster).
    [spoilers in white below - click, drag to highlight]
    I wanted to like this but it didn't do much for me until Jesse fell through the front door. I don't know if the reader was meant to find Weyfield House as oppressing and stifling as Andrew, the dad, described it but i was quite ready to escape it myself after a few chapters. Phoebe just annoyed me the whole book so it was hard to overcome these and just when i thought there'd be a happily ever after on NYE, the twist with Sean, far out, why did the author have to do that?! to ensure Olivia plausibly stayed with the family even though she said Sean was moving to London, so the family got their happily ever after with her staying local instead of potentially going off with Sean to Dublin? And where was the epilogue about Emma's treatment results? I pictured Emma as Sally Field the whole way through and i wanted to know what happened to her. And in one of those weird concurrent reading book links, i was audio-reading The Midnight Library by Matthew Haig and i don't know if their Haag pandemic is pronounced the same but in my head, i was pronouncing them the same.

Donitab likes this.
  20. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

What?! far out we had a spoiler alert button this whole time?!
    no way! unbelievable!

Karen and Donitab like this.