Day 3 Grid page - PLEASE READ

Discussion in 'Month of Challenges 2019' started by mrs2a50, Jan 4, 2019.

1. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

for those of you who have completed your day 3 page, please check to be sure your page complies. Remember it must have an actual, visible grid (made of stitching, paper strips, paint, tape, whatever) AND all your elements and photos need to be mostly inside your grid. We are seeing quite a few pages with no actual grid, or a small grid and then a bunch of stuff across the entire page. We want everyone to finish MOC successfully!!

Remember, just because you see someone else’s page that doesn’t follow the rules doesn’t mean it’s passed and you can do the same. We may not have had a chance to message them yet.

Thanks for helping self-police this. If you can identify that your page needs revision without us messaging you that helps us greatly!!

2. umyesh

umyesh Swooning for warm bread & butter

Thanks for the extra clarification :)

cfile, bellbird and mrs2a50 like this.
  3. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

Thanks for sharing this. I hate getting those "you messed up" messages.

jesskab, Cherylndesigns and mrs2a50 like this.
  4. mrs2a50

I hope we are a little more soft in our wording than that! :)

cfile and bellbird like this.
  5. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

yes you are bit softer than that. I'm one who misunderstood this one. To me a grid is the shapes, and gaps between the shapes make it visible. I didn't understand that what was meant was visible grid-lines markings. It was an easy fix after I got my polite pm from the beautiful challenge hostess.

MrsPeel, cfile, bellbird and 2 others like this.
  6. Kat

I would hope too, but not always unfortunately but in all fairness my messages last year were more about over-policing and not actual mistakes. One year, I just quit b/c the message came across all wrong. Last year was my first year back at it. I do it for the challenge of it and the love of it anyway and really don't need the coupon if I mess up that bad. But I'm extra careful so that's why I love clarifications like this. The challenges need to be super detailed and explained well (and almost always are) so this remains a fun experience. So thanks for the extra clarifications!! :)

weaselwatchr and mrs2a50 like this.
  7. cookingmylife

cookingmylife I just like to go fast and wear helmets

@mrs2a50 @jesskab I am one of those who 'got the message' and I changed my layout, put the new one in the gallery, and copied the BB code to both spots -my MOC layouts and the MOC grid section. Those two spots still showed the old layout.

I did that I refreshed the website, then turned Safari AND my computer off, tried again and no change except in the Gallery. I thought what was in the gallery would update on any other links in TLP? I'm stumped.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    bestcee likes this.
  8. bestcee

bestcee Lorelei and Rory are my neighbors

@cookingmylife I can see your changed one. It's typically the cache that shows the old one. A browser restart often fixes it, I don't know why it didn't for you. Usually, the challenge host can see the new one even when you are seeing the old one.

bellbird and Angela Toucan like this.
  9. mrs2a50

As Courtney said, it's usually just a cache issue on the originator's part. You can always message your host with a link to the new page, and that will do the trick!

bellbird likes this.
  10. cookingmylife

cookingmylife I just like to go fast and wear helmets

Ah yes...the cache! I normally empty that every day but have been doing a lot of other work and it's...gasp...a week old! Thanks so much!

jesskab, bellbird and bestcee like this.
  11. Kat

Did it work? I have tried updating my page with the same issues before but usually end up deleting it which is such a waste of time. Maybe I just "thought" I was clearing my cache tho.... wouldn't be the first time I've done that. lol

bestcee likes this.
  12. bestcee

bestcee Lorelei and Rory are my neighbors

So far, anyone who wasn't sure, I could see the new page even if they can't. So, if that comes up for you, you can always ask if the other person can see the updated page.

bellbird likes this.
  13. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

While looking through my stash for todays challenge, I found these grid brushes! If I had remembered I had them, I might have used them. So for anyone who is struggling with the actual grid since they have already finished their layout, these might be nice and easy to use!

[​IMG]

bellbird, wvsandy, jesskab and 9 others like this.
  14. greenmother

greenmother Active Member

What I find frustrating is that there are Polywog layouts that don't seem to meet the requirements as I read them but are in the gallery and threads. I look to the Polywogs for example (surely, the store team wouldn't post a layout that wasn't compliant, right?) but to then feel like I have to self-police and alter my layout after I honestly tried to follow directions because I'm "unsure" if I've done it "correctly" is difficult. I tried MOC three-ish years ago and quit very early on for a similar reason. Perhaps I'm not actually MOC material.

weaselwatchr likes this.
  15. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

not sure if someone answered, but , Maureen, I learned that changing the name of the LO, and completely deleting the one before does it... sometime Firefox works better, but with Safari, I usually copy the credits/description so I can paste into the new post, delete that one, and re name the new one, even if you add an "A" or N1... then it does change :)
    @cookingmylife

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  16. mrs2a50

Kimberly, we do actually ping the Pollys when we see that they're not compliant, specifically for this reason. We don't want a Polly page to be used as an example of what to do if it doesn't fit the criteria. The majority of the time, the Pollys are scrapping MOC right along with each of you; they don't scrap the pages ahead of time, and they don't check with the host to confirm it fits with the guidelines. It's entirely possible that a Polly might not get messaged by the host for a few days, but we do contact them, just like any other MOC scrapper. Please feel free to message me about a specific layout if you have a question about it. You are also welcome to message me or the host if you are unsure about your own layout. We truly are here to help you navigate MOC successfully!

bellbird, cfile, EHStudios and 2 others like this.
  17. Kat

When I feel this way, I power on and do it for myself. This came up last year and I was feeling like I was just not cut out for MOC but I pushed through with the support of a couple of people here who are awesome. Two years previous to that I did quit. I had completed one MOC at least and had fun, quit the next one b/c it wasn't fun at all. Took a year off and then last year I found it fun part of the time. I was determined to complete it though. By the end, I had a crazy signature depicting the way I felt it went overall. lol. I think for me I scrap because I love it and it's fun. So I have to keep it fun and light and not worry about the rest. HTH!

bbachand likes this.
  18. Pachimac

Pachimac Shhhh! You're disturbing the books

You said: “Perhaps I'm not actually MOC material.”

I think we all feel that way at times. I got so frustrated with some of the layouts last year, and one time actually shut off my computer and walked away. One I was actually cussing. LOL

You know what happened?? The hardest one actually won one of the challenges in the end, and I muscled through my frustration.

Do I think I’m Pollywog material? Not sure about that, but anyone is MOC material that perseveres and finishes!

bellbird, londoncuppa, cfile and 3 others like this.
  19. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

@greenmother @Kat
    I am so sorry. I didn't even know that not feeling like an MOC person is a thing. If there's anything I can ever do to help, please let me know. Tag me, message me, whatever. I'm here very often.

Last year I got a lot of messages because I hadn't read the instructions correctly. @mrs2a50 even messaged me to see how she could help clarify everything. There are so many of us that want to see you all finish!

@Pachimac
    Even with all my issues last year, I got a guest spot & was made a full-fledged Polly. We so often doubt ourselves & can't always see the special things others can see in us. I have like 50 pages on self-doubt!

Truly you guys, MOC is here for everyone. It's to stretch imagination, to learn new skills, to work towards a goal as a community & grow together. Mostly it's to have fun!

20. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I remember that :(

Kat likes this.