Data Recovery - What would you do!

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Mar 6, 2022.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I’m in the process of doing data recovery between two devices - my old laptop and my new PC.

Yes, I do have Backblaze but it takes forever (47 hours for 20gb as an example).

I do have a very small EHD that I can use but it’s very temperamental as is my laptop I’m trying to transfer stuff of of - it crashes constantly and I fear that every time I try it could be my last lot of data I get and I’ve still got all of my TLP supplies, my photos and documents to retrieve.

What would you do to try and get as much data off the laptop?

2. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

take drive out and use a conversion cord to read it, or box thing you put drive in, unknown name, dock comes to mind

or cloning software to write it to another drive

you mentioned a friend was going to build you a new one, perhaps they could clone it for you

3. littlekiwi

Cloning was our first option but due to COVID restrictions where my friend lives it wasn’t able to happen. Everything else she was able to do except this and I was ok with it assuming that my Backblaze issues of last year were laptop related rather than slow internet. Unfortunately it looks like the issues are slow internet related

Since I posted this, my HDD has probably died - it’s currently scanning and repairing.

4. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

so sorry, that not good...
    everyones worse fear

i have no knowledge of m2 drives. we got old puters. so when i get new, gonna be lost.
    I will probley be in your shoes soon

5. littlekiwi

Well amazingly my data is still there after that scare but the system hangs something fierce to the point I can’t even turn off my laptop properly

6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@littlekiwi If you are indeed dealing with slow internet speeds, then downloading from Backblaze is not the best option for you. You can request a recovery drive. You do have to pay for the drive, but there is a program that once you remove your items from the EHD they send you, you can send it back for a refund. https://www.backblaze.com/restore.html

bestcee likes this.
  7. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

If you've got time, I'd transfer from laptop or EHD. But you'll probably have to do it in batches. So start with photos or products something you really want...and do small increments. That may help.

cfile likes this.
  8. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

I had this problem a couple years ago and I finally bit the bullet and bought a bigger and better external hard drive. It made it so much easier and it gives you another back up. The drives have really come down in price the past few years. Good luck.

9. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I have done the BB recovery drive -- worked well for me.

10. littlekiwi

Since I wrote this I’ve had a small win. 47 hours was just the initial estimate and it quickly reduced down to about an hour. I did it overnight so haven’t checked whether it was actually successful yet

bestcee, rach3975, Cath_ and 2 others like this.
  11. littlekiwi

that’s the plan to buy a new EHD and be done with Backblaze, it’s just come down to timing and the fact I’d assumed if I was using a different machine Backblaze would cooperate a bit better

Iowan likes this.
  12. littlekiwi

unfortunately it’s too expensive an option for me even initially as I have to add about 40% on to account for exchange. Yes, I realise I get the money back but I need to have the large amount of money available initially

gonewiththewind likes this.
  13. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

It sounds like BB may have worked out. Even if it's slow, that may be your best bet. If you don't want to go through BB, consider buying a flash drive (the thumb drive type) in whatever capacity you can afford and transfer that number of GBs at a time. Maybe moving smaller amounts at a time will let you get more moved before each laptop crash. I'm not sure how much thumb drives cost near you, but in the US you can find 64GB drives on sale for under $15.

14. littlekiwi

@rach3975 my laptop or more to the point the HDD is so broken it wouldn’t work - it was running at 100% just being on let alone trying to do anything. I was down to transferring a folder at a time on to my EHD at one point but then the old (probably 5-10 years old) EHD started giving me errors so I tried Backblaze again overnight on my PC and apart from downloading files I’d already manually grabbed the download/unzip from Backblaze worked. At the moment I’ve got a rhythm going and progress is being made - 10gb lots at a time and just letting my pc download while I’m staying off it. It takes between 1-3 hours but at least it’s going on the right direction finally. I’d also tried a different EHD and it wasn’t any better so it was my laptop causing probably 99% of my issues at that end doing a manual data transfer

Now I just have to decide what backups I do, I’m hesitant to only have Backblaze because of ease of access to large amounts of data (yes I know there are ways around that with Backblaze charging for an EHD of data that then gets refunded on return but I don’t have the money for the initial cost including exchange) and right now I feel I’m at times paying for not much service though the set and forget part of the back up appeals to me. I’m also hesitant to only have an EHD backup - I’m not very consistent at remembering to keep it backed up nor do I like the fact the drive could fail or my computer not read it etc

rach3975 likes this.
  15. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I know cost is a factor, but the more backups the better! I use Crashplan and have them control both my online backup and my local EHD backup. The online backup protects me in case something happens to my home, and it's also more up to date. I try to run my EHD backup once a month, but I don't always succeed. If I needed to restore a large amount, I'd start by restoring from my EHD then fill in the rest from the online backup.

bestcee likes this.
  16. littlekiwi

@rach3975 actually its not a massive cost to me, I view it as "insurance" basically. It's more the ease of getting data off Backblaze - a document here or one kit here and there has been ok but larger amounts of data is problematic. I've been going for 4 days solid almost 24/7 and still have over 60gb to download. Going well, I suspect it will take me all of today and tomorrow to be done

rach3975 likes this.
  17. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I'm like Rachel. I use both. Backblaze I leave running all the time. I know I have fast internet, so it's different for you. I don't know whether a different online backup would work for you if it's an internet speed issue. My online backup gives me peace of mind because it works without my input. And then I have an on-site EHD that I use when I remember, usually about the 1st of the month.

Personally, after my initial backup, I don't often need to download a lot of data at once, just a few things here and there. Except when my drive crashed. Then I did a bunch of data downloads as I needed it, and mailed for the drive (I totally get why that doesn't work for you). If your new computer works well, you may not need to download as much once you get past the initial download.

I know @Karen only uses EHD's - so she has a system that she's shared with how she rotates them.

18. littlekiwi

@bestcee, im still undecided at this point, I think mainly because I've been downloading the same zip file for days and not much progress if any has been made which highlights that even if I changed cloud backup providers im probably facing the same issue

19. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

When my computer died in 2019 and I needed to get stuff off of BB, I found that I had to do smaller downloads to even get it to work. My internet isn't the fastest but it isn't bad either. I had tried to do a big zip file and it just wasn't moving very fast at all. I cancelled it and started a smaller zip. That worked. So in the end I had multiple smaller zip downloads of the things that I needed right away. Like Courtney, I did order the EHD so that I had everything else.

Way back when I started with BB, I found that the best way to initiate a backup was to not choose everything at once. That's when I also started using EHD's. Everything was on there and the most important stuff went to BB. When that finished, I added more and kept doing that until I got everything I wanted in the backup set.

And, now I only use EHD's (4 of them) since BB ended up causing me internet interruptions all the time. Even after getting this computer and setting up BB on it, I had interruptions. When I paused the BB for a few days I had absolutely none. And, since I quit BB I haven't had any of that type of interruption.

20. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Yeah... I just use my own EHD back up system. I have one backup EHD at home and one backup EHD at work (my offsite). I just take my working EHD to work on Fridays and run a program called SyncToy to copy over only the new stuff. Then I do the same at home when I remember which isn't as consistent as my one at work. The downside of this system is I have to rely on my memory to do the backup. Yikes! :giggle But, I did drop my EHD at work once right after I had backed it up (Thank God!) and it died. Caput. So I had everything backed up and just had to buy the new EHD and copy everything over to the new one. That takes long enough with almost 2 TB of files, so I can't imagine having to download that much.

bestcee likes this.