Crossfit?

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by Lynnette, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Lynnette

Lynnette In my life, I've loved them all

Ok, it's time I get my rear off the couch and start some kind of workout plan! My babe is 9 months old now and I can no longer use him as my excuse :)
    I'm considering crossfit. I have a couple of friends here who do it, and childcare is included, so it seems like it might be a good option. However, it is pretty pricey. So has anyone here tried it? Love it? Hate it? Is it worth it? Thoughts, please!

2. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I have two words
    body pump!
    I saw this morning, muscles in my tummy...like I one day could actually have a six pack!
    find a gym with body pump classes
    oh my they are the bomb

3. Peppermint

Peppermint One Little Bird

I was just telling my husband today how I miss Body Pump. I don't like the gym that has it, though. It's way out of my way. Loved going to BP though!

4. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

We have a CrossFit here but I don't know much about it. I am in the middle of Insanity right now. But, unfortunately, still have my baby fat... never mind that my baby will be SIX in October, LOL. #don'tsayaword

5. alb52

alb52 · · · – – – · · ·

i love love love BP - haven't done it in 2yrs though... maybe again soon. contemplating CF, too, though! i've heard (and seen) great things about it.

6. 4noisyboys

4noisyboys Being a Grandma is the best!

I do crossfit. I love it...but I do understand it's not for everyone. Thing is, every box (gym) is different. I would want to know what kind of beginner program they offer, does the coach just get the wod going and then go in his/her office and sit, or do they stay engaged through the whole wod...making sure everyone is doing things correctly. Ours is $99 for unlimited wods, endurance or Oly lifting. I think that's very reasonable. I usually try to go 4 - 6 days a week, but I'm going to start running too, so I'll be doing a run day and then a cross training day. I would love to try body pump after reading some from you gals here. I'll have to look to see if it's offered anywhere here. I'm NOT into competing, so that part of crossfit doesn't interest me at all.

7. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

I love CrossFit. My 'box' is pretty ghetto but the coach is great and the cost is only $60 a month, so I don't mind that it isn't "pretty". The one I went to before was fancier inside, but almost twice as much.

I really only compete against myself. I am always my strongest and fittest when I'm good about going to CrossFit.

8. Lynnette

Lynnette In my life, I've loved them all

Box? wod? oly? I didn't realize crossfit had all this lingo, lol. So box is the gym, right? And wod = Workout of the day? What about oly? Thanks Debra and Angie for your input, I'm going to check it out some more. And I'm NOT a competitor either!

I used to do body pump and LOVED it! That might be a good option too... I'm going to check out some other local gyms and classes. Man, I miss having a YMCA a few blocks away, and getting the student (low income) discount...

9. Angie4b1g

10. Karah

Karah Karah

I have a lot of friends who do crossfit. One friend's husband is a trainer/coach at a big one here. It's definitely not for everyone. I don't know if it's my style, since I've never been, but I can tell you right now I couldn't imagine paying that much per month to go to the gym (I know, I know, it's so much more than that LOL).

Also, FWIW, my BFF's husband has been doing it for a few years and he's been bugging her to do it with him. She did it one time and completely messed up her back (and she's very thing/fit already).

11. Lisa Carroll

Lisa Carroll Lisa Carroll

I LOVE Crossfit. It is the only exercise regime I have been excited about and stick to. I hate to miss a class and even look for other boxes to visit when I am out of town (which is such a fun thing to do, and I always learn something new). I like Crossfit because it is never boring, the WOD's are always different, and it pushes you both mentally and physically. I love being strong and fit, and knowing there isn't much I can't do.

But I agree with the other posters, it all depends on the Box, the trainers and the people that go. Most gyms let you go the first time for free, so try it out and see what you think.

And as far as the cost, as long as you are going several times a week, I think it is totally worth it. Mine is $100 a month, I am there 5 days a week, so that is $5 a class, not bad if you ask me. And it is a heck of a lot cheaper than a personal trainer, which is what I equate it too.

Try it!

12. Angie4b1g

I was so sore from Tuesday, and then did an 8 mile trail run last night, and now I'm supposed to go this morning (I go on Tuesday and Thursday). This should be special. LOL

13. Kate

Kate The Doctor's new companion

My youngest is 7 and I have finally accepted that sadly I can no longer use him as an excuse, no matter how big a baby he was..... :giggle

14. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

oh I have to gloat...I live in the middle of no where, and although I pay out the nose for many things, and don't even have a Starbucks in my little town...my gym is only $30 a month. :wooot
    I will go back to dusting the sand from my house as I live in the bare desert and plan my grocery shopping/ortho trip to the town nearby...150 mile roundtrip!:whistle

15. joelsgirl

joelsgirl joelsgirl

Dude, you know Crossfit is a cult, right? Once you're in, you can never leave.

But all the hot guys are in there with you, so who wants to get out, right? ; ) I did crossfit for a couple of months, and I felt like it kicked my butt in just 20 minutes. I loved it, but my friends moved & now I got nobody to Crossfit with.

I hoped to get started when we go home in December, but the gym in my hometown is $130. So, sadly, I'll just not be joining.

16. Angie4b1g

Truth right there. For some reason, in my gym, the girls all set up at once end and the guys at the other. I always set up with the guys. :giggle

17. Dana

Dana Dana

i keep thinking i may start crossfit - but our box is $225 per month!! so for now i'm at the Y :) my DH does bodypump - it's great! he does it by his office - we don't have a gym near our house that offers it ...

18. 4noisyboys

4noisyboys Being a Grandma is the best!

The owner of our box is starting another gym...keeping the box, but he's going to do more specialized training. He has a group of women about my age and my level that are looking for a few more women to join up with him for one of the classes. He is the coach I am with the most...I really like him too. He's very direct and pushes me, but I like that. I don't need to be coddled and spoken softly to! It's going to double my cost to $200 a month, and he's going to be looking for a one year commitment for his nice new place. I need to really decide if this is what I want to do. Instead of willy nilly WOD's, the workouts will be the same kind of things, but with our goals in mind. I'm thinking about it......