Crocheting for Lefties

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by GlazeFamily3, Feb 15, 2019.

1. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

HELP!

My daughter and I decided to make temperature blankets together this year. She’s 10 and definitely a beginner- she only knows how to chain. I crocheted probably 8 years ago and knew I would be rusty. I was able to pick it back up quickly and figured I could easily show her the additional few stitches she needed to know.

I was wrong! I underestimated how hard it would be for me, a right handed person, to show my leftie what to do. If you are a leftie and crochet, I would love any tips you have. If there are any great resources to help left handed people crochet, I would love to know. She is getting so frustrated and I don’t know how to help.

Thank you!

2. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

could you sit in front of a mirror and have her follow your reflection?

bestcee and GlazeFamily3 like this.
  3. GlazeFamily3

That is good advice!

Angela Toucan likes this.
  4. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

GlazeFamily3 likes this.
  5. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I think that one of the crochet blogs I follow has some leftie resources... let me see what I can dig up...

GlazeFamily3 likes this.
  6. GlazeFamily3

Tracie- THANK YOU! I just glanced at it and there are a ton of left handed resources, including an online workshop for beginners. This looks great!

tkradtke likes this.
  7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

londoncuppa likes this.
  8. GlazeFamily3

Thank you Karen! She has so many videos for lefties and her voice did sound very soothing! Raileigh watches tons of origami how-to videos and it reminds me of a voice in one of those, so she will probably like that!

Angela Toucan and Karen like this.
  9. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

My sister crochets and she's left handed. Not sure how Mom taught her, but I'll ask her for some tips when I talk to her this weekend.

GlazeFamily3 likes this.
  10. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

I’m a leftie, and following directions for righties is difficult. The best piece of advice I can give is DO NOT tell a left-handed person to watch a right-handed person do something and then “just do the opposite.” Nope...

Finding leftie videos or directions made specifically for lefties is the best way to go about it for sure. Good luck, my dear!

GlazeFamily3 likes this.
  11. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

My mom tried to teach me how to knit when I was young, she's a rightie and I'm the leftie in the family. It did not go well. Same with crocheting.
    As an adult I watched You Tube videos and taught myself how to knit and crochet right handed. I surprised myself as I am a 'true' leftie.

12. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I remembered to ask my leftie sister how she learned. She said Mom made her learn to crochet right handed. Haha You had to know our mom - I'd forgotten that she made my sister learn to do pretty much everything with her right hand. She even plays golf right handed. Hence, she has a awesome drive off the tee because her left hand "pulls" the club. She writes and eats left handed, but I think that's about it.

GlazeFamily3 likes this.
  13. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

Thanks so much for posting this and everyone that posted videos. I have 2 grandgirls who want to learn; one right handed and one left handed. I started with the older one (right handed) and she jumped right in. I tried with my lefty and unfortunately, it was just so hard for her to get the grasp. I never thought of a mirror but that is interesting.

I am sending her the links to the you tube for her to watch since I really would like to be able to share a hobby with both of my grandgirls.

tkradtke and GlazeFamily3 like this.
  14. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Schools thought DH was dyslexic for the longest time because teachers told him to do what they did "backwards". Sigh.
    Luckily, my kid has a left handed dad that steps in when this rightie struggles!

15. londoncuppa

That’s a blessing that your hubby is available. I always tease my mom that her sister is really my mother because my aunt is left-handed, as well as both of her children. Both of my parents (and my brother) are righties. All of my children are righties.

I’m somewhat ambidextrous. There are many things that I actually cannot do with my left hand, such as use scissors or a mouse or a baseball bat. I have to do those things right-handed.

16. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I joke it's a family thing. DH is a lefty, his dad was a lefty, and now munchkin is a lefty.

I'm the opposite: I do sports left-handed. I bat left-handed, I skate left-handed, and I will often min-golf left handed. Both my lefties use a mouse righthanded though. They say it's obnoxious to switch to the left, and it's not worth it since the world is righty with mice.

londoncuppa likes this.
  17. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Bianca is a lefty and we don't have any lefties in the family. I do remember there is a leftie guy that crochet in youtube but that is as much as I remember of him.

londoncuppa likes this.
  18. londoncuppa

Do you use a knife with your left or right hand? Your post made me think about it, and I can’t cut anything with my left hand. I have to use my right. I’ve never paid attention to what my family uses. I think they probably use their right hand to cut as well.

19. jaye

I am a righty when it comes to a computer mouse as well, lol.

bestcee likes this.
  20. jaye

I use my left hand to cut, play sports left. Only right handed thing I do is knit, crochet and the mouse.

My dad is a righty but we suspect he should have been left. When I came out as a lefty my parents were confused where it came from. My dear old granny (born in 1900) told them she was originally a leftie but they tied her left hand behind her back and forced her to be a rightie. My son is a leftie, my ex-husband was also a leftie so our house was easy to teach, lol.

bestcee likes this.