Crochet Help Please

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by GlazeFamily3, Feb 19, 2020.

1. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I have made granny squares for years but now I want to make something that requires me to chain and then hdc into the chain. I know how to chain and I know how to hdc, but I have NO IDEA how to hdc into the chain. Do I count the cast on to the hook stitch? Which part of the chain do I actually stitch into?

Specifically, I am just trying to make a coffee cozy that requires joining the chain with a slip stitch and then hdc into the chain. You basically repeat in the round until complete and add a sc edging. Simple IF I could figure out how to crochet into the chain.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I don't count the loop on the hook, skip two chains and crochet into the third when doing a HDC. Here's a video with instructions. Looking at what you're doing though, it looks like your chain is making a loop? If so, after the slip stitch, I would chain two (your chain two would count as a HDC) and then start crocheting into the next chain in your loop, if that makes sense.

bestcee likes this.
  3. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

4. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

:perfect That is so me. I have wanted to learn to crochet for years, but never actually gone forward with it and have no idea what the question even is, let alone how to answer it! :lmao

gonewiththewind likes this.
  5. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

@GlazeFamily3 This video might help you with what you are wanting to do.

weaselwatchr likes this.
  6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

@GlazeFamily3 can you share the pattern you're trying to make? Maybe that would help too? I'm more of a "look at the pattern and puzzle it out" type of helper. :giggle

7. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

My tired eyes (it's 4:40am where I am) read 'crockpot help' and as I was reading your post I was like :headscratch.

QuiltyMom, Karen, wvsandy and 2 others like this.
  8. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Same... though I would love to learn! I've loved seeing Karen's projects when she posts them! Beautiful!

Karen and gonewiththewind like this.
  9. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

Unfortunately I have no idea how to help you (not really familiar with American/English terms of crocheting), but I totally love the coffee cozy. Never seen them beforw, but now I want to make one. Thanks @A-M for the video link.

10. GlazeFamily3

Sorry- it was a crazy day yesterday. But here is the 30 minute coffee cozy I want to make.

like I mentioned, I have got the chain part down and I know how to hdc just not WHERE in the chain stitch to make the stitch.

In full disclosure, I have not had the chance to watch the above video and it could answer my questions.

11. Karen

Ok... now I've looked over the pattern and I know what you're asking... but I'm wondering how to explain the answer without a picture... :giggle She talks about how she experimented with where on the chain to add the HDC:

"When working Row 1 into the chain, experiment with working the HDC’s into the back bump vs. the loops of the chain. I found that working into the back bump made the bottom of the cozy look tighter and more uniform. When I worked it into the chain loops, the bottom looked like it was stretched or a bit ‘gappy’, which wasn’t ideal.)"

I found this picture that shows a front loop and a back loop:
    [​IMG]

She did not use EITHER the front loop of the back loop, but rather the "back bump" which would be on the bottom of the chain, so the front loop and the back loop would be on the edge of the cozy and make it look better. So in the following picture you can see the two loops on the top and then the single "back bump" on the bottom:

crochet help.jpg

She worked her HDC into that bottom single "back bump". Lol. I hope this helps. :giggle

QuiltyMom likes this.
  12. GlazeFamily3

That DOES make sense! Thank you!

Karen likes this.
  13. Karen

Also, don't forget the joy of crochet is that you can just give it a shot and see what it looks like. If it looks wonky, you can just pull it all out and try again. :agree And also, now I want to make one of those fun cozys and I don't even drink coffee! :giggle

Cherylndesigns and Angela Toucan like this.
  14. GlazeFamily3

I wanted to share I don't drink coffee either. But, I have bought like 6 of them from this adorable etsy shop and I KNOW I can make them, so I want to so I quit buying them LOL. I DO use them on hot chocolate if I get one when we're out and they're actually nice to use on cold drinks too so they don't freeze your hand.

I saw this because I am sitting down to give this another go and wanted to look at everything that was shared here before I started. I tried at least a dozen times and got so darn frustrated, which is why I posted here.

Also in the meantime- I found several hats I crochets my daughter when she was around 3 years old that are completely cute and I remember her wearing them now. So, at some point I knew how to do this and muscle memory is just NOT kicking in.

Karen likes this.
  15. Karen

If you’re still stuck I could give it a shot and once I figure it out, I could do a quick video for ya. :agree

16. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Oh what a foolish young girl I was! :duh My mother was an excellent knitter, truly artistic sweaters etc which I rolled my eyes at, and my nana crocheted many many things like a king-sized 'bedspread' out of fine string for me and my xh. Did I ever learn either of these skills? NO.

@GlazeFamily3 I wish you the best with your project. Mostly I think I'll spend my years just fondling the yarns... :lol

17. GlazeFamily3

Okay- I JUST MADE IT! I followed the video Anne-Marie posted above, as it seems to be the same pattern. I have a cozy!

It is definitely not what I was hoping for, though. I apparently crochet rather tightly and mine is significantly smaller than the ones I have been purchasing. Any tips on stitching not so tightly in the future?

Also, I am going to add the single crochet border to the top and bottom. How do you attach the yarn to begin with? I tried kind of knotting it on, but you can tell where I did that, so I know that must not be correct.

A-M likes this.
  18. A-M

@GlazeFamily3 You might need to use a larger size hook to help make your stitches a little looser. Also the ply of the wool would also affect the outcome size.

19. GlazeFamily3

I used a bigger hook with a much better result. I am guessing my tension is a little off. Now I just have to figure out how to properly attach the yarn to the edge so I can make a sc border and I will be done! Though, once I got it, it went fast, so I suspect I will make a bunch more of these!

Karen likes this.
  20. A-M

@GlazeFamily3 Did you work out how to attach a different yarn for the Single Crochet edge? I am a fairly tight crocheter so I usually use a size larger than the pattern says all the time.