Critique My Layout

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by pbrooks, May 12, 2018.

1. pbrooks

pbrooks I need a realtor!

I've recently purchased product from Dawn Inskip, Paula Kesselring, Rebecca McMeen, and Etc. by Danyale. Most of my product is from designers that use a different style like One Little Bird just to name one. I still love the clean style (for lack of a better word) and will continue to use it but I wanted to broaden my horizons.

Do I need to add,subtract or change anything?

[​IMG]

jenn mccabe likes this.
  2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I love all the paint and blending you added! (In your siggy too!)
    Is there something that's bothering you about it?

pbrooks likes this.
  3. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I love your masking and that you still framed the photo! To me, the creativity and personal expression in designing any DS page means that there really isn't a "wrong" or "right" way to scrap. Like Courtney asked do you have something in mind or is it a more general question? I know that sometimes a page can feel "off" when you first try a different style, if only because you're so used to seeing your typical style on your computer screen. :) Good for you, for trying something new-to-you!

pbrooks likes this.
  4. pbrooks

Thank you! I actually like it, but I see beautiful layouts that are so creative and that use more elements and that's what made me rethink my layout. I only added two flowers and paint from Rebecca McMeen's kit, and one transfer from Paula Kesselring. Just wondering if I needed more flowers.

5. pbrooks

I think you're right, it is a different style for me and it's easy for me to 2nd guess myself.

Tree City likes this.
  6. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

Yay for trying new!!! I am one of those that "stays" with the same style and have to make myself step out! I think you did a great job.

I have also found if I step away from it and take a look later, then I either "love it" or that time away helps me figure out what I need to do to it when I come back to it.

That is actually how I learned to cluster and layer on my traditional layouts. Now, I can do it when I do them, but it was a new style for me and it took a little bit of back and forth.

I think it looks great!!!

pbrooks likes this.
  7. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

Ditto to what Sara and Courtney said, Pam. Your layout is GORGEOUS, and good for you breaking out of your comfort zone and trying something new!! :goldstars

“IF” you REALLY DO want a critique of what you can add, I would say that if the layout was mine, I would add a bold, black sentiment below your photo and offset it slightly to the right. HOWEVER, that’s just me (I like to use all the stuff...LOL), and your page is stunning just the way you have it. Try not to second guess yourself. You are an amazing scrapper! :heartslub

pbrooks likes this.
  8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

You could try scraplifting one of those layouts that uses more and see how it feels? I admire layouts that use a lot of elements, but that's just not my style. Even when I scraplift, I've found I still leave off some of the elements the artist used originally. There is beauty in simplicity as well as in fullness.

pbrooks and londoncuppa like this.
  9. pbrooks

Thank you!

10. pbrooks

Thank you! Adding a sentiment is a good idea!

londoncuppa likes this.
  11. pbrooks

That's a good idea! I think I will try it!

bestcee likes this.
  12. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

It's gorgeous. I like how you placed the paint only around the photo and the edges. And the circle frame.

I remember the first time I attempted what I thought was art journaling. It was a mess! :giggle

pbrooks likes this.
  13. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I love what you did Pam! I will agree with Margaret @londoncuppa I might add some black wordart or maybe a black title. I always like to add a touch of black. That's my only recommendation. Good for you for stepping out of your box!!

pbrooks and londoncuppa like this.
  14. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Design-wise, I wouldn't add anything else. It's a fabulous photo and the circular frame really draws attention to it. The paint and flowers also bring your eye in and enhance the colors of the photos.

For me, I'd have to add some some of quote or word strip (because I'm a bit obsessed with them), and then I would add journaling, even if it's just to name the people in the photos, where they were taken, and the date. I try to do that because some day I might not be able to answer those questions when my daughter or son pulls out my albums. :) So I'd likely put the journaling across from the word strip or word art or title. So either above and below the photo, or to the top left/bottom right or top right/bottom left.

It's fun to try something new, and I love the digi scrapping lets us play without the commitment that paper demands.

pbrooks likes this.
  15. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

wow, i love it! the blending is simply gorgeous with the photo and i like the unique way you framed it with the photo seeping beyond your frame. like other's have mentioned, the only thing i would personally add is some pretty quote, a title/phrase, or word art. have exploring this 'new to you' style!

pbrooks likes this.
  16. pbrooks

Thank you Michelle! It is a little nerve wracking doing layouts like this since it is so different from my usual style! I never thought that I would really give it a try.

michelepixels likes this.
  17. pbrooks

Thank you Jenn. I have been looking for some word art.

18. pbrooks

Thank you! It's funny but I've been working on another layout, and when I came back to this one, I thought to myself that I did a pretty good job!

19. pbrooks

Thank you Cheryl! I will definitely look for some word art or come up with a title!

Cherylndesigns and bellbird like this.
  20. pbrooks

Thank you for your comments! I will definitely add some word art and some journaling. I am sure that years from now, my daughter will wonder. It's wonderful to see designers take an active part in the forum and gallery. I love your templates and I am slowly getting a little better at clustering.

gonewiththewind likes this.