Credit tracking, tools, posting, etiquette

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by sbpoet, Jun 17, 2016.

1. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

I've used both of the trackers mentioned with PSE & liked them. I think the problem now is that I've not installed them correctly. Must do a medical appointment today so won't get back to this till tomorrow. Thank you all so much for your help!

bestcee likes this.
  2. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Sharon, what version of PSE are you using with your Mac? I have PSE13 and all of Christy VW's actions are working. I may be able to help you.

Tedious? well, so are a lot of things about scrapping but that's how it is even if we don't share our work anywhere. I list the items used (cleaned up) and then add them to the file's File Info so if I ever get round to posting in Flickr, they'll be there too. I find it a small price to pay for community here which I value a lot. Since my husband can usually just say...That's nice. (lol) I like having someone notice ANYyhing about my layouts. :)

3. PLM

PLM I know there's something in the wake of your smile

Glad to hear you got them to work!

4. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I post the kit/alpha/template pkg I use, but I don't mention the specific item. I would be crediting the rest of my life, since I like to add the kitchen sink to my pages.

Lindzee, jesskab, mimisgirl and 2 others like this.
  5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

6. suruha

suruha Member

Crediting, for me, is a snap! I either 'drag' or 'Place' all the pieces I use in a layout. If you 'drag' an item onto your layout in PS, it maintains it's original file name - in the layers palette. Likewise, if you select 'Place', as opposed to 'Open' in PS, the item will maintain it's original name, as well.
    To credit, I just go down the layers palette and list the designers.
    It helps a lot if the files are named the right way for me. I always check file names to ascertain that I will know who and what the item is later. If it is too general or not labeled, I label it myself. I use the same format as @klee73010. The designer's initials, or the abbreviated name the designer uses, an underscore (_), then, the title of the kit, the item and any individual pp or ep name, if relevant.
    I can sure relate, @sbpoet! I have NOT posted layouts before because I didn't have, or document, the designer's name. On one, I had to go find another 'little girl' image because the one I used didn't have a 'good' file name that gave me the info I needed. I couldn't find it again! So, I swapped it out.
    My way entails only making certain the files are named properly, then, dragging them on to my workspace. Sure makes listing designers a whole bunch easier!!
    Su

catschwartz likes this.
  7. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I've heard this tip before but my PS doesn't do that. :( I have PS CS3. Perhaps I should try Googling PS CS3 and "drag" to see if I somehow messed up a setting!

mimisgirl likes this.
  8. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

THIS!! This is exactly what I do, and then when I posting a layout I'll run down the layers list and type the Designer/Kit names into the gallery upload form. It's super easy only takes a couple of minutes per page. I do link as well, but that's my way of trying to help out challenge moderators (especially during something big like MOC). My thought is that if I link the products up to the store here, then the moderator can quickly see that I did indeed use eligible products.

I should also note that I'm dragging from Lightroom to Photoshop (CS6) when I scrap, and the filename information is maintained as the layer name using that method, as well.

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  9. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I don't think it is your settings... I had CS3 (or was it CS2?) and would drag files into it, no luck. As soon as I upgraded to CS5, I could see the file names. I was SO THRILLED. You may want to try PLACE, that may retain them for you.

cfile and Tree City like this.
  10. scribler

scribler Blanket? Check! Slippers? Check! Sweater? Che

I've often used the credits of pages I like to see what products have been used. But I've never mentioned it to the person who created the page. Never thought it would really matter to them.

I use Evernote to track all my credits. I just add the product & designer name to my Evernote file as I begin using the product and then clean it up when I am done so the credits look nice. Quick and Simple. I only do links if it's for a CT page. If I use the page on my blog then I will like to the designer's Facebook page. I used to do link individual products, but designers move to often and it leaves to many dead links on my blog.

11. mimisgirl

mimisgirl It's all about ME!

Ahh Sharon, I am the same way (hi by the way - I think we both went off line about the same time - glad to see you here, not sure if you remember me but we did the caravan together a few years)

When I get in the groove I can use 20 different designers and not even realize it. Honestly I stopped using a supply tracker because the credits got so big. And you are right - some of the older kits or newer designers do not name their files in a good way - why would you just name an item flower.png? really? I also file by element or what I call groups - because when I am arting for me I don't pay attention to where I pull from - I go by the sight of it and how it all looks together. What I started doing now, and it seems to help - when I pull from a kit I go ahead and put that kit and designer name down - either in the file info embedded into the file or just jot it down on a scrap page next to me (I often have my tangible journal next to me.) If the file is not named well, sometimes I just skip that one because I can't remember where it is from either. And if it is just ONE flower. . . I have actually pulled most of that off my computer now, but there are a few that I still love to use.

I think you and I also went through a number of different sites/stores (if I recall) and pulled from all the different stores. Now that most stores only want you to use their products in the gallery it is not so hard for me anymore, but then I feel the pages I actually post in the gallery are not as good either - being more limited, the good ones are too mixed up to fit in any one store gallery - I post them online for myself, or print them out as gifts, but they don't generally go public anymore. But my credits are more manageable. I have had a few people ask me "which kit is the XXX from" and I looked it up for them, but that is much easier for me than listing out every single item i use.

I am sorry this is stressing you out! I hope you can find the answers you are looking for and a system that works for you! Keep on making art though @sbpoet I love seeing what you create!

mcurtt likes this.
  12. mimisgirl

mimisgirl It's all about ME!

I have CS6 and I still can't get it to do that - I have heard about it many times but no luck on mine - Hmmm . . .

13. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

I also use Anna's Script with PS CC2015 and it works perfectly. Except for the details page which would be helpful, but I can live without it.

Anna's script has completely changed the way I scrap; no more writing down, no tidying the credits up etc. Just scrap and in the end it gives you the complete list with everything you used. It doesn't get better than that. Styles, brushes etc. I manually add in the file info right away and add them to the credits at the end, but that is a minor thing.

And the great thing is that it works with anything. I use LR, Bridge, ACDSee to add files into my layouts and the script keeps track of it all no matter where it comes from. I highly recommend it.

14. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

i don't like any page i do. Guess the limit is to stop the ct members dumping there outouts here

i don't like credits, well needing to do, the back arrow on the drive window doesn't always work, or if i in a search, i often just drag in something, then open the folder location to get designer/kit name.

I am redoing from losing my hard drives to windows shadow thing

my lily folder looks like this

lilycnt.PNG (this is without templates, or planner kits)

started with doing by designer, but am going to try theme, as this is way way to much for puter to go thru (when it does work), maybe i won't despise credits so much if i am looking thru less

15. grrfluudy

grrfluudy This? Oh it's just my million dollar pen.

I use a physical notebook or a wordpad document to keep a list of credits. I have always used Designer>Kit name>Ellie
    oops. Sorry if that is too much for everyone. I don't put 'ellie4' if that's it's name, though. I will put ellie4-greenresinflower.
    but now I'll just do designer>Kit. Good to know. I've only been scrapping 6 years. LOL

16. grrfluudy

grrfluudy This? Oh it's just my million dollar pen.

I would love to hear more about this - how it works on Win10. But I know this isn't the place. Will you start a new thread explaining how to do this please @AnneofAlamo ?

Cath_ likes this.
  17. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

This idea is similar to those using a physical notepad or some note software. I don't use Photoshop so this may not be possible, but in Artisan, I have a work area that is bigger than the page I am working on. I just create a text box over in the work area (off the actual page) and create a list as I am making the page. I just list the designer followed by the name of the kits. Then when it is time to post it, I keep my software open and I can do a simple Copy and Paste of the text into the gallery description box. I can then add links if I want.

In my software, this text box is stored as part of the page so it will always be there for reference.

18. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I will do this maybe this weekend just for you! lol

grrfluudy likes this.
  19. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

I just credit the designer & product. I generally don't even think to credit for a font. For my CT pages, I link back to the store. I type it all out once on my desktop sticky note & paste it wherever I post the layout. I don't generally use more than 4-5 kits on one layout.

20. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

@Ga_L here is that thread I think you were looking for.

Ga_L likes this.