Credit tracking, tools, posting, etiquette

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by sbpoet, Jun 17, 2016.

1. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

I used to be compulsive about posting credits with my pages. I used a credit tracker and included that info when I posted to flickr or galleries (or elsewhere). It was a hassle, and it was a problem with flickr; often the credits were bigger than the image. I not only posted credits, I linked them. All of them.

Then I was ill & offline for two years.

I returned to the discovery that designers move or retire. Often. Most of those links are now obsolete. Also, very rarely had anyone commented that they used the links anyway. Exactly once in several years of postings.

So now I list the designers, and that's it. Anyone who wants to find the designer can Google them, and anyone who wants further information about the elements on the page can ask me.

But I would still like to have a credit tracker, to make answering requests easier – especially now that I've had one! I'm on a Mac and use Photoshop CC. I've searched for a tracker that will work (I formerly used PSE) without success.

So, questions: pointers to trackers? And what do you folks think is adequate/ inadequate crediting? What do you do?

2. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

I know I've used credits to locate something in a layout I've wanted, but not commented that I did it. I believe TLP's gallery requirements are to identify both designer and layout. CT's and Pollywogs link often because the item is new or on sale, but that's not a requirement. It took me a while to figure out how to handle it because I do not use photoshop but I've found ways to do it. I don't think you have to list what each item is however. Just the kits used. It sometimes takes detective work to find something, but I think that's reasonable.
    I love your layouts and often see things that intrigue me. It helps to know what kit -- that's easier to google with the name when it's non-TLP. Your work is beautiful and I imagine you use many kits so I know it's a pain. But it's so helpful when I'm making a layout and remember seeing the perfect image for me page in the Art Journal thread or something.

Juliestcyr and Lindzee like this.
  3. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

When I am kit scrapping, it is way easier cause I just go

Deep Blue See Bundle | Lena & Tabatha aka Gypsy Girls
    and
    Cute and Loved Dressed DOWN | Cheryl aka Fiddle dee DEe

the gallery here is so easy to link with the little chain icon that pulls up a menu to copy paste the links
    but when I am in creative art journaling mode, I am pulling from everywhere and I use:

CVW (Christy Vander Wall) supply tracker available free here
    and it is copy and paste available. Christy's blog is full of hows and helps to load and use her tracker.
    I also try (so far in vain) to be published in Somerset, and they must have complete list of credits.

I have in the past, also uploaded a page, and just listed everything layer order. See this page for example
    [​IMG]
    In almost every Terms of Use (TOU) of digital designers, they ask kindly that you please credit their work. I love that we don't pay $10 for 10 papers in digital, and if crediting them helps them, I am all for it!

Also, the gallery in which I upload too, mainly here at the Lily Pad, ask me to credit the designers. They don't ask for links to the store, just to credit the designers. I think as a kindness and member of one of the best forums in digiland, that is the least I can do for them.

I am an addict of the gallery, I get my inspiration and joy clicking and leaving love there. I enjoy reading more about the page in the credits, journaling if the artist wants it to be read, being added, is a joy to my heart to get the whole feel to the page. I can spend an hour, just leaving love....and I love doing it!

It comes down to, we can make a million pages and never show a soul. That is our choice, but if I upload to a gallery, I should adhere to their requests.

cfile likes this.
  4. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I like to know the credits so I can follow the information (and the link if available) and then add it to my wish list.

I wouldn't want to hassle a person to ask for credits. That's just me. :) I'll move on. I have run into so many inspirational layouts, I would be contacting so many people to try to get information if it wasn't posted already. Who has time for that?

I decided long ago, that if I am involved in galleries, then I would post credits with links. I think it's fair to the designer and to the scrappers. Since I want to follow the link as a scrapper, others might want to too. If a credit is unavailable, then I list what it is and the designer.

AnikA68 and Tree City like this.
  5. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

Tracking/listing credits in galleries also helps to ensure that someone isn't posting pages totally created with products by outside designers... which wouldn't be fair to the store or the designers. Bandwidth/gallery storage is expensive. :giggle TLP is awesome and only requires 50% be TLP products, so it seems fair that credits should be listed.

I'm glad to see you are back in the digiworld, @sbpoet

6. MelanieB

MelanieB Well-Known Member

To be clear, it is the policy of the TLP gallery to list all credits! It's listed in the rules at the top of the gallery.

GALLERY RULES: Layouts must contain at least 50% TLP products. (Templates count as 15%.) Uploads must be less than 250k. List all credits; no off-site linking allowed.

You don't have to link to the items in the store, but you need to list the products you used!

I'm with Jenn, I wouldn't want to hassle someone by asking for the credits! And I have never thought to tell someone that I followed their links, even though quite frequently I do follow the links or look for the product in the store!

7. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I always keep Photoshop open when I'm uploading a layout so I can scroll through the layers palette and read the filenames and type credits such as "yellow flower and ribbon from (name of kit) by (name of designer)" and it only takes a minute, even if I used 15 elements from 5 different designers. I'm a fast typist. :)

jesskab, enjoyyourpix, Cath_ and 2 others like this.
  8. paula kesselring

paula kesselring Designer

TLP is awesome and only requires 50% be TLP products, so it seems fair that credits should be listed Sharon!
    And this is a easy way to others know what are you using and where/what to look when we want to buy them!!!!But you don't have to link to the items in the store, only if you want and if they are from TLP!
    :agree

MelanieB likes this.
  9. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

I work differently from a lot of folks. (Nice to see you, Paula!)

When I did CT work, this was easy. One designer, one kit. I might have 30 elements on a page from 10 designers from 20+ different kits. Without a credit tracker (& considering my limited energy, all of which goes to making pages these days) that is a serious task.

But I hear you, all. As I said, I used to be compulsive about this.

10. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

Oh, and my CVW tracker won't even open. I re-downloaded, & still get "no app available to open this file" which is .jsx, I think? I reinstalled Java, just in case. No change.

11. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

Just to give you an idea, this is what one of my (chosen at random) flickr pages used to look like:
    Screenshot 2016-06-17 14.33.53.png

I can't do this anymore. It just takes too much energy, and as I mentioned, most of those links are now obsolete/ dead. Dead.

Cath_ likes this.
  12. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

wow, see how it is bigger then your pic

13. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

More thoughts (from the bathtub before the nap): you will notice above that the designers, linked, are listed in the description, and the credits in a comment. This is because flickr used to show the description on the front page with the image, and my front page was mostly text. Then I realized I could use a comment just below the image/ description. Now flickr doesn't do that anymore, so this would not be an issue. Also, I'm guessing that page was made after I realized that designers keep moving from shop to shop, so those links are probably to blogs or Facebook pages.

Another improvement flickr has made is that, when I post to my blog, I can include a "footer" that shows the description. So no more copy-paste. You can see how that works here: http://www.sbpoet.com/2016/06/times-of-darkness.html

If I can find a good tracker, I'll start listing detailed credits again, but no more tedious linking. I used to spend hours doing that.

It also occurs to me that I might have a bit more energy if I didn't do so many challenges in hopes of getting coupons. It sucks to be broke with a hobby like this. I subscribe to the M3 kits here, carefully budgeted to get me something new. Not that I need something new; my computer & EHD's are full. And a couple of generous designers have given me freebies with no expectations, which is wonderful. Much much appreciated.

Re: gallery limits -- I like the open, or close-to-open galleries best. Lilypad designers don't know how much I use their work, because I use it on pages that don't (or even might not, I'm careful) meet the 50% rule.

OK, tired. To bed.

Cath_ likes this.
  14. carilyne

They are not asking the you list every element and kit. Just the kits. You're making it more than it is. No links. And you can't include outside TLP links anyway. But who knows I may have that discontinued kit in my stash. If a designer gives you kits I'm sure that it would be a help to them to have those kits credited. Just my thoughts. You are a great digital artist. I asked because I would like to grow. There were two or three items on one of your pages that would be extremely significant to me in my art journaling, but can you imagine having to go through all those designers and all their kits looking for one thing? I couldn't do that. And I scrap slower than a lot of others.

15. catschwartz

catschwartz Active Member

I list the designers and the kits, but I don't link- that step is hard for me to do. I sometimes don't post a layout because it doesn't have enough TLP in it. Since i am making layouts for my own use and I am not a CT, that works. I use GIMP so before I change the layout to a JPG, I open a word document, and copy all of the designers and kits i used for that specific layout, then when i upload to the gallery here I can copy and paste it. Sometimes I just use one button or one paper as a frame or something, so someone looking at my layout might have to look at all of the kits i listed to find a particular item, but I rarely even get comments, so i don't think that has been too big of an issue for anyone.
    like others have said, I appreciate al of the designers hard work, sand i do read their TOU's so giving credit is not a problem!

16. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

This thread seems to have reminded all of us of the importance of giving credit, no matter how we do so. :)
    I link for my CT LOs, but otherwise I usually don't, if only because it can get tricky. To me, a CT LO is created for the release of a product, so the link will be current when the LO is posted--and that's when a LO is most likely to get looked at in the galleries, imho.
    Having said that, I do list every product and designer for all LOs I post. A good example of what I do is this LO, which is all Little Butterfly Wings except the (almost-totally-covered) background paper. While I CT for LBW, this LO wasn't necessarily a CT LO because (1) I also used Paula's paper and I personally don't like mixing products in my CT LOs for individual designers and (2) I'd used those kits before, so those products have already been linked via the original LO (as in "the LO I posted when the product was first released"). Oh, and (3) some of them are retired or are newsletter freebies which is why it's so awesome to sign up for newsletters.
    Having said all that, I like to list the product name and designer because listing just the designer is like talking about a book but only mentioning the author: "OMG, I just finished that book by Stephen King! You know, that one book he wrote that one time. It's so good." Well that's great, but what book? Cuz he has like 85 million. :) Plus, mentioning the product can sometimes make it easier to realize what on the page is from that exact product. (Not always, though. I like how @AnneofAlamo said she lists by layer. That would have been good for my example LO!)
    As far as keeping track: I just have a little Text docutment file in my LAYOUTS folder that's titled the same as my LO's title, and I put all info in there as I go. It's easy--when I had a lot more CT work the simple Doc file really came in handy cuz I named the file the name of the kit and its release date so I knew exactly when to post my LO. If I have multiple credits but only ONE item from a specific product, then in PS I name the layer the name of the product; that way I can easily delete that one item from my Text doc if I happen to delete that layer (although I tend to NOT delete layers. *shrug*)

y_baros likes this.
  17. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

Hey, women! Stop implying that I am opposed to giving credit! Not true, as earlier clearly demonstrated. But let's break down what credits are for:

1. Acknowledgement of who made the images I used, "crediting", in other words. Not plagiarizing. Avoiding the impression that I made all those.

2. Helping to sell kits, as we who have been on creative teams do. In this case, we usually use only one kit, by one designer, per page; and links are important. Viewers need to know how to get the kit. Of course, this only works for as long as the designer and her kits stay put. Once she's moved on (which, believe me, she is likely to do) anyone who wants that kit is going to have to search for her and it. And I often get "favorites" on very old pages in my flickr stream. The ones with the dead links.

3. Giving others who share our hobby the chance to find that one element on the page that hooked them. Now, take another look at that screenshot from my flickr. Granted, I happened on one of my biggest ones (I assume), but that list includes about (I say about as I just woke up & may have miscounted) 17 designers and 29 kits. Now, if I listed just the designers, or just the designers and the kits, that still wouldn't help you. If you want that one magical element, you need the list of elements. ( & there are more elements than kits.)

4. Complying with TOU's. Umm. Hate to break it to you, but many don't. And, for me, this is the least important reason to credit. It's a matter of principle, not rules.

I DO credit the designers. Every single designer every single time (barring my too-human tendency to error on occasion.) So I'm still covered on #1.

I no longer serve on creative teams, as I can't count on my health & energy to fulfill requirements. But I still like to point to designers whose work I love, and I do so by listing them in the credits. So that's #2.

Number 3 is where I no longer meet (my own) & others' high standards. Which is why I've been searching for a new tracking tool. I may feel defensive, but deservedly so, I think, about not expending energy making my own lists of every designer, kit, and element on every page I do. I think that's a very high standard, and a good one, that I used to meet and no longer do.

#4 is necessary for those who don't otherwise understand or agree with concepts like copyright and creative rights. That's not me.

ADDENDUM: Looking back on my early years doing this, I was greedy about finding kits and designers I liked. I followed links and googled and sometimes sent notes to page makers with questions. That's how I found most of the designers I still use today. But if I saw something I liked, I assumed (often correctly) that designer would have other things I would like. It was rarely a single kit that caught and held my attention. It was the designer.

Lindzee, grrfluudy and scrapsandsass like this.
  18. carilyne

I don't think anyone is saying you don't want to do credits. It's the issue of not wanting to include kits. And we are sharing why it is important to each of us. Let's get clarity @lmccandless

19. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

Sharon I feel your pain!

I too do a lot of mixing and matching of kits when I do scrap. Especially when I'm working on PL page. My credits are LONG and I have to credit paper supplies too. That is a whole other headache and won't go there.

A couple of things I've tried for tracking my products....I've used a notebook and wrote down ever single item and kit down. I've down this both while scrapping and after I'm done scrapping. Typically by looking at each layer I can remember the kit. I've moved on from using a notebook and have started using Evernote, using the same method above. It is a bit slow going, but I find it worth it.

Now crediting, I too like to inspire the community especially since I'm on CTs. However, I rarely point out the individual elements I use from the kits I mix and match. It is not hard for someone to go find the element themselves in the kits I list. Most designers to a great job at previewing their designs and the individual could view the element themselves from that. The only time I usually get super specific about listing an individual element is if I've changed it in some way that it might not be instantly recognizable. Like changing the color of it. I know this sounds mean but if people really like what they see then they won't be lazy and will go find the kit they like with the info you give them. I honestly believe kit name and designer is enough. Linking is nice, but not necessary.

For reference....here is one of my PL spreads that was difficult to track. https://the-lilypad.com/forum/galleries/2013-project-life-week-11-left.192532/

I hope that helps! And thanks for the reminder of how important tracking and crediting is!

20. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

I use Photshop CS6 and keep a notebook that I write down what I use for each layout but sometimes I do use within the program - go to FILE - File Info and in the Description box I will type in credits as I go while creating my layout. Sometimes I might need to delete something that I ended up not using on the layout. Then I can just copy and paste those credits in the gallery when I upload my layout.