Could we discuss dating?

Discussion in 'Finding Me in 2023' started by Mingo08, Jan 7, 2023.

1. Mingo08

Mingo08 Ctrl+Z is my friend

I'm talking about dating our "about me" layouts, and perhaps other, sort of memory/heirloom/what I was/am feeling pages. But I like punny titles...

For instance, dating my hobbies page, generally, as a "January 2023" page makes sense, as I've been known to take up and discard hobbies at various points in my life.

But, what about other kinds of reflective pages? I've done a few - not all shown at TLP - that are reflections about my childhood ad other periods of my life, looking back from now say 40+ years. These are difficult for me to date as "today" because I'm reminiscing. And yet, it seems I should add a date, but then that seems inaccurate at the same time.

I know it's all personal preference and I can do what I want. But I'm curious about how others handle this, if you've thought about it all, and what thoughts or options you've chosen or considered. There's no right answer, of course. But how do you approach this?

jk703 likes this.
  2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Often I write something like "photo November 3, 1999 --- journaling January 7, 2023" or "This page created on January 7, 2023."

To more specifically address your example, I'd probably make it clear in my journaling that I was reminiscing about 40 years ago and somewhere on the page include a little "This page created January 7, 2023."

FarrahJobling likes this.
  3. pagefrocks

pagefrocks ♥•:*¨¨*:•♥•:*¨¨*:•.♥

HAHAHAHA . . . I read the title and thoughts this thread was for singles! LOL

I have been using Documented (date). I'm thinking of my kids/grandkids reading some of these pages long after I'm going, and think it will be helpful for them to understand where I was when I wrote the journaling. My perspective in my 50's is so different than in my 30's . . .

trekmom, jk703, Mingo08 and 1 other person like this.
  4. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Like Michele I will sometimes put "journaled on date". I sometimes put ~~ before the date on these types of pages. But I have also done layouts with no date. A lot of those pages, it is clear in the journaling that it is a page reminiscing about something from my youth especially if I mentioned the years I'm talking about in the journaling.

Mingo08 likes this.
  5. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

I am so bad at putting dates on my pages. When I did a PL book and our Florida trips I had dates but in general layouts I mainly don't. I have not been good at printing my pages as books or anything lately. When getting around to doing my 2 vacation albums I will put dates on those. I may date this, we'll see.

Mingo08 likes this.
  6. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I always "sign" and date each layout, usually in the bottom right or left bottom corner. And if there is a photo, I date it to the best of my ability, even if it is a "circa". If you look at my hobbies pages (I have 2, left & right), I referenced hobbies by each 10 years. I was born in the 1950's, so my first category was 1950's, then 1960's, etc. thru 2020's.

7. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I love your punny title. ;) I date like Michele.

Mingo08 likes this.
  8. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

You aren’t the only one who came to that conclusion!

bestcee likes this.
  9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

If I'm writing super obviously about the past, and I don't have actual journaling from that time, then I'm more likely to add "journaled on" or "recorded on" or "my thoughts on" followed by todays date. Sometimes, I will start out journaling as "I remember when xxx" and tell the memory with todays date. On occasion, I've even added in "As told to me when I was x or circa x". Usually that's for stories my mom told me when I was a kid, or maybe a now deceased relative told me.

If I'm writing using journaling from that day, or just what I remember about that day (like the time at Niagara Falls when my sister broke my mom's flip flop) I usually date it as the photo date only. I figure I'm not adding anything to those type of stories because of the time passing, so I don't worry about the date.

Mingo08 likes this.
  10. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

Normally I date things for when the event I'm talking about happens.
    Occasionally, for childhood memory pages that doesn't work as I don't have a date. I've just looked at some of those pages and they don't have dates on.

11. BLKinOR

BLKinOR Well-Known Member

Like many others, I usually use a created date and make it clear that I am reflecting on the past in my journaling. I try to give at least a circa date or a time frame (When I was in college or right after xxxx) for the photos. I find it harder to fit that into my journaling when my photos are chosen to show a progression of time so sometimes each photo gets a small date in a somewhat empty spot nearby. When it's really hard to keep it all straight without messing up my design, I create an explanation, print it on acid-free paper, and attach it to the reverse of the printed photo (with washi) before putting it in my album. I haven't yet figured out how to make this work in printed books but I've not had that issue be relevant...

Mingo08 likes this.
  12. Mingo08

I think I've done it both ways myself, though I hadn't come up with the oft-mentioned "documented" or "journaled on" solution - I'm going to start using that some! I know I've got some pages I didn't date, except for the contents or journaling. When I started to have time to scrap more intentionally (vs. get it done so the child can see the photos era!), I wasn't consistent about remembering to date my pages in any way.

Then I started to overthink. :faint2

13. Mingo08

Exactly! I struggle with voice, too, sometimes. Like the photos are memories are from the 80s, but do I want to document it in the past tense or present or with what I know now...?

In general, my books run chronologically and I've had weird moments where I didn't want to "foreshadow" events, but I also know the story, how it ends, and the credits, which makes it tough to figure out how to tell *that* story, independent of additional knowledge.

14. Mingo08

Interesting - I particularly like your idea of adding more info separately. I don't print my pages in a bound book, so I could add something to the back of my 12x12 pages inside the sleeve. Maybe with a tiny tab or tag that would remind me there's more to be found. I "write on" my photos a lot anyway, so adding dates there does help.

I've got a mountain of photos and ideas from the clean-out of my childhood home last year. I'm trying to figure out where these pages "belong" - they aren't really a chronology, more of a documentation. I've been putting them in a separate album for now, thinking that I could gather them together as a grouping within a larger album at some point. I had also been scrapping some of my childhood trips and events that were meaningful. My folks took photos, but really did nothing with them, so I started creating my own scrapbook of things.

Thanks!

15. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Lots of my photos from my childhood are put into what I call my "Book of Me". A lot of the layouts don't really pertain to events or vacations, just random photos from my childhood. My albums are mostly theme albums but I do try to put the layouts in chronological order if I can within those themes. But the "Book of Me" is not necessarily chronological. Yes, some layouts can be placed that way but others are just there.

16. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I also add the date the event occurred and when the journaling is many years later I say - journaled on...
    So many great answers here.

Mingo08 likes this.
  17. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

I would have no problem with dating the page "today," because it is today that you are reminiscing about your past, and creating a scrapbook page out of it. That the period about which you reminisce is not the present but the past is at least tacitly implied by the very act of reminiscence; and you've probably also flagged it more explicitly, as well ("when I was a child..." "this photo of me at age 6...").

What an interesting question, @Mingo08!

Mingo08 likes this.
  18. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I love this discussion! Thanks everyone for popping in and sharing your methods for dealing with dating photos/journaling on layouts.

I'm not unique here . . . I will indicate the date the photo was taken and then indicate the journaling was created on a separate date.

I hadn't really considered that my journaling would date itself in some ways. Like layouts I've made reflecting on childhood/teen years/young adulthood I would have been in my 30's and 40's. Now that I'm in my 50's, I would have different things to say because of the additional life experience. I am really thinking about making sure that I not only indicate the date of the journaling, but also my age at that time.

19. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I use the a combo - event date, created date, journaled date..... or a mixture of them, lol! Similar to others!

20. scribler

scribler Blanket? Check! Slippers? Check! Sweater? Che

I almost didn't click on this cause I thought it didn't apply to me since I was married. lol

Memaw2Wm and Mingo08 like this.