Converting a Scrapbook Template Into a "Collage-Style" Art Journal Page

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by heathergw, Feb 13, 2015.

1. heathergw

heathergw Singing in the Neil mobile

Hey M3 peeps, I'm excited to bring you another tutorial. This is something I really LOVE to do. Scrapbook templates make it easy to create an art journal page. With placement and design already in place, it makes for a really quick page to complete.

For this tutorial, I'm using just the January M3 Main Kit! The template by Lynne-Marie is a perfect example for this tutorial.

1) Open up your template

2) (Optional) I like my art journal pages to be 8.5"X11" so I'm going to crop this template down to letter sized. You can crop down to any size you want using these steps.

[​IMG]

3) I like to clear out all the shadows, so I can see it as a flat page. Since art journals tend use paints and thin ephemera, now you have an idea of what your finished page is going to look like as a "flat" art journal page.

[​IMG]

4) Starting from the bottom, start replacing each layer with paints or ephemera. I tend to start with flatter objects like paints and stamps in the bottom layers and then ephemera for the top layers. Here's a fast play video of me creating my art journal page:

PROCESS VIDEO
    [video=youtube;RLg6fSzmwOI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLg6fSzmwOI[/video]

5) Final step, add in really small shadows and any other effects you want, like changing blending modes or using the blending options sliders, changing the opacity, etc. Have Fun!

[​IMG]

Here's my finished page:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  2. SissySparrows_Don

SissySparrows_Don New Member

Another great idea and tutorial Heather...love watching you videos.

3. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

Great idea! Love seeing you in action again too

4. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

I had not considered templates for AJ pages. Thanks for stretching my thinking :).

5. SissySparrows_Jules

SissySparrows_Jules New Member

6. PuSticks

PuSticks Oh, bother

Nice tutorial! Don't know why I never really think to use templates for my AJ pages :)

7. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

Totally awesome. Thanks.

8. latz

latz Well-Known Member

Thanks for opening my eyes to a new way of using templates!