Concussion woes

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Tree City, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

While in the gym for Health class, a boy kicked a volleyball and it smacked DD in the head. She has a concussion. (Anyone else catch the irony of getting a mild traumatic brain injury during "Health" class???) I'm also worried she has whiplash. Her head hurts. Her nose hurts from where her glasses rammed into her nose and she has pressure behind her eyes. Her neck hurts.

I'm kind of freaking out. It seems to be mild, but I'm worried. And I know things could be worse, but for her, this is the "worst" in her life, if that makes sense.

I'm worried about how this may affect her. I'm nervous about how she'll handle going back to school (they have iPads for classwork/homework and they have Smart Boards instead of blackboards, so she can't do anything but sit with her desk facing the wall instead of the teacher). Anyone have advice they can share? Someone needs to help me re-frame my thinking and get my mind off the Google horror stories I've read. She has an appointment at the concussion clinic on Monday. I spoke with one of the nurses today and she was very reassuring that I'm doing the right things, but of course the Mama Bear in me is freaking out. Thanks for any help you can give!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    bellbird likes this.
  2. bcgal00

bcgal00 Feeling lazy with my coffee and book

No advice...just hugs. Poor girl.

Tree City likes this.
  3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Oh no! I have no advice either. I guess health class can be dangerous. My gs gets hit with balls a lot (after-care shenanigans) but he usually gets it in the tummy or legs. He complains almost every night about that.

Tree City likes this.
  4. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

I don't know about the US, but here if you do have a concussion you have to stay in the hospital for surveillance, only if the concussion is not definite you can stay at home. Then make sure to wake the person up regularly. Also as soon as they start to throw up, go to the hospital!
    With my son it was clear from the start that he did in fact have a concussion because he threw up practically 30 minutes after it happened. When we went to the hospital they made him stay for 2 nights just to make sure he is alright - and he was. No TV, no computer, no mobile phone games etc. either.

bellbird and Tree City like this.
  5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Oh gosh Sara.. have you taken her to the doctor? I know last year Bianca - Dalis’ @Dalis daughter had a concussion.. perhaps she can help. I hope she feels better quick Sara! Hugs for Mom too!

bellbird, Dalis and Tree City like this.
  6. Jan

Jan I'm sorry, I can't. I'm busy doing nothing!

So sorry this happened to her. I'd get her to a good chiropractor quick. Let them know she has a concussion and that you are seeing a doctor for that and get her neck and back adjusted. That will help her a lot. Probably take a couple days to feel better though and she may need more than one adjustment. But that's what I'd do along with going to the other doctor for the concussion. Hugs.

Tree City likes this.
  7. Tree City

Thanks ladies for your kind words and experiences. She isn't allowed screens so I don't even want to use my laptop when she's nearby (I'm sneaking time on my phone lol.) I'll write more later but I wanted to say Thanks for helping me calm down. :)

bellbird likes this.
  8. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic College was bad for my reputation

I don't have any great advice for you either, Sara, but I have known some friends and students who have had concussions from various sports. They are all back in the game today, so to speak :). All I can say is to follow doctor's orders completely and when she returns to school, make sure that her teachers are informed about what she is and is not allowed to do. Make sure that she is allowed the accommodations that she needs! Not to say anything too bad about teachers, but I have known some who don't like to follow accommodations. Some of the students I've know have been permitted to wear sunglasses in the building because of the florescent lighting and have been allowed a reduction in assignments due to the cognitive demands. Do you know if her school has any type of policy regarding concussions?

bellbird and Tree City like this.
  9. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

@Tree City

Ok, here is what I know from Bianca's concussion.

1. she needs LOW LIGHT, LOW SENSORY stimuli. (no computer time, screen time (tv), no reading either). We played low key board games with Bianca in a low light room, but she just wanted to sleep it off.
    2. If she gets dizzy or nauseous, you take her immediately to an ER.
    3. Headaches are expected (specially with the whiplash). Eye pressure can be normal (again if it's too much you take her to ER).
    4. Bianca was off school for 3 days. Then our doctor believes in sending them back to school to be around peers. Some studies show this helps the brain to heal faster. She had a note from the doctor, she was not allowed to read or have screen time. Her BFF would read outloud for both of them. They were allowed to go to the library to work in this way. Bianca could not read for close to 2 weeks. WORDS didn't make sense, but numbers did. It was REALLY scary! I got Bianca an eye mask, that helped a lot when sleeping. I also slept with her a lot, she was so scared, she needed the mommy-me time.
    5. How is her vision, if she is feeling pressure behind the eyes, her vision might be a bit affected. Look into her pupils and make sure they are not "shaking". They look like they are vibrating, this is due to the force of the hit.
    6. Bianca only had a mild concussion, and after we saw the doctors she was allowed to sleep all she wanted. Brain heals better when it sleeps. We had a few friends from B's team that were sent only 1/2 day for a week during the first week. I picked B I think once or twice because it was too much stimuli and her headache would be too much.
    7. Follow your gut! If you think you need to take her to the ER during the weekend DO IT!
    8. It can take a long time to recoup from it, so try to explain that to her and help her not be frustrated. Bianca had sensory issues (and screen time problems) for 6 months after the concussion.

cfile, SeattleSheri and bellbird like this.
  10. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

my only experience with concussions is my own when i was little (like year 1 - fell outside, hit the asphalt at the end of lunch) and throwing up in the garden outside the classroom when i was sent back to class from sickbay and we had to watch some thing on the old fashioned movie projector screen and then falling asleep at the doctors and waking up in hospital (and then changing schools not long after).
    i agree with everyone above and think you're doing the right things (i'm also impressed you have a whole clinic devoted to this!) and i agree with Jan but hope teachers are generally more informed & cautious these days especially given the widespread use of screens now - DD gets regularly whacked by various dodgeball games in PE and so far, touch wood, is ok and hasn't needed sickbay even as far as i know. It does take a few days for them to be out of the woods though so given it happened at school, i would think the school should be very accommodating of your requests, based on medical recommendations/treatment guidelines, or understanding if she had a day off following it. Hopefully you have a low key weekend planned

Tree City likes this.
  11. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

My daughter got kicked in the head from the side at close range while at soccer practice about 5 years ago. She started talking nonsense and zoning out about an hour after we brought her home so I made a Dr. appointment and got her checked out. No hemorrhage or anything, but she was concussed. She was not allowed back in school until she was completely headache free. Which took about 2 weeks. No iPhone, no reading, no homework, no physical activity beyond a little walking (supervised), very very limited TV watching (Our Dr said NONE is best, but since she was teen gave her a cap of like an hour a day- that's it)... she basically was told to sleep a lot to let the brain rest. She could color or draw or do simple arts and crafts or board games. She could listen to music quietly. She literally was going insane. It was not easy to keep her entertained. But she really did end up sleeping a lot.

The school nurse was 100% in agreement with the Dr and didn't want her back in school until she was free of all headaches. The nurse advocated for her and got her excused from most of her finals since it was June when this happened. She was in 8th grade.

Of note: She thought she was feeling better after about a week, so she tried to go back to school. She lasted less than 2 hours and called me because she had a headache. The Dr got upset and told us he seriously means no school until she is completely headache free for at least a full day. So - it ended up taking about 2 weeks or so for her.

Deft'ly listen to the Dr and speak to the school nurse about the situation. They (Dr and school nurse) should be able to advocate for you with teachers.

Tree City likes this.
  12. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Thanks Dalis for responding xo

Dalis and Tree City like this.
  13. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

Oh no! I had a concussion a few years ago and it sucked. Based on what you described (no loss of consciousness, no nausea, etc) it sounds like a mild concussion, so that is good! My concussion symptoms lasted for 2 weeks and then tapered off. I had tinnitus (ringing in the ears) for well over a year and still get bouts of it occasionally, but have otherwise have recovered. The biggest advice I could give is to rest the brain. It's so hard (and incredibly boring). My doctor recommended no reading, no TV, no exercise, etc. Somethings are triggers for people and others aren't, so it really depends on the patient. I would immediately get a severe headache if I did anything that required thought.

Regarding the neck pain. I've done a lot of research on this due to my past occupation. Most soft tissue injuries resolve on their own without any treatment. The more severe injuries take up to 6 weeks, but most resolve within 2 weeks. Definitely go with your doctor's advice, but usually OTC pain relievers are usually sufficient. Whiplash is just muscle strain in the neck and is usually felt on both the front and back of the neck. Whiplash and concussions commonly occur together since a concussion is caused by the brain drumming against the inside of the skull which happens when the neck is whipped back and forth due to impact.

Big hugs! I hope she recovers quickly!

Tree City likes this.
  14. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I would be worried, too, Sara! Your mom sensors are on high alert right now, and that's totally OK.

I got hit in the head with a basketball in gym and literally was flat on my back, completely stunned. I don't remember going to the nurse or to the doctor or hospital. Of course, my dad would have likely told me to get over myself and buck up. **eye roll** I did have a concussion a few years ago when I fell in our bathroom and hit my head on the edge of the tub. Most of the symptoms went away in 3-6 weeks, but I had a knot on my head that was tender and was prone to headaches for over 6 months.

Dalis has some awesome input from experience . . . combined with a nurse's advice, I'd just be vigilant about watching her.

And I'm sending big ((HUGS)). Like you said, it's the worst that's happened to her, and that's awfully scary for our mommy hearts.

Tree City likes this.
  15. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

How's she feeling today Sara? How are you doing? Sending hugs to you both!

Tree City likes this.
  16. Danyale

Danyale Always one step behind Waldo

Oh man, my mom and friend heart hurts for you both! How is she today, holding steady? I am hoping for positive news ♡

Tree City likes this.
  17. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

I have no experience with concussion but I do have prayers and I'm sending them your way! Hugs!

Tree City likes this.
  18. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Sounds like you have got sound good advice so far. My oldest son got a concussion after being accidentally kicked in the head while playing a game at summer camp. He took 2 weeks to recover fully and was completely bored by the end of it, but we held firm with the no screen time, no TV, no reading, no music. Basically, the brain needs to rest to recover.

Tree City likes this.
  19. Tree City

You are all so sweet! Thank you for your words and your prayers. Normally I'd quote everyone but my own screen time is limited since I can't look at a screen when she's around. (Y'all, I miss TV. I am not ashamed to admit that I LIKE TV! lol) And I know she's bound to come out of my room at any time cuz she's hungry. (That's been an odd side effect: she has a huge appetite. I assumed she'd have no appetite, but I'm starting to worry the part of her brain that releases the chemical to tell you "I'm full" signal has been hurt!)

When it happened I picked her up and she went straight to ER, so she has seen a doctor. They didn't do any scans or do blood work (there are some blood markers that, if drawn within the first 2 days of a concussion, have been shown to help diagnose a concussion). The doctor was pretty confident that DD had a concussion so she didn't think any further testing was necessary. (And frankly, if DD doesn't need a CAT scan, I'm not going to put her through it, you know?)

We go to the concussion clinic on Monday (there was a cancellation so we were able to get in sooner than we thought...btw, their next available slot is April 3! The nurse said "This is our busy season: sports concussions. Baseball, soccer, everything." EEK!) Anyway, she'll get evaluated and they'll decide if she's ready for school and, if so, if she'll start at half-days or full. (I doubt she'll go straight to full days.)

For those of you who've had concussions or have children who've had them ... I'm so sorry! But I do thank you for your advice and for sharing your stories. And I'm also glad mine isn't the only child who is basically going bonkers by all this "mental rest." The good news is, she is paying attention to her body and she's resting (albeit grudgingly).

School: All of her teachers whom I've emailed have been super understanding. I said that Gen was worried about missing schoolwork and I asked if there was anything they could send me so I could read it to her (when she's ready) or, for her to read (when she's allowed). Some have emailed me PDFs and some, like science, have said there's really nothing she can do at home. Her science teacher also said "but I'll help her when she's back and I'll make it an oral presentation instead of written." Anyway, I was happy that her teacher made those adjustments without me having to ask. And they've all said "print this ONLY when she's ready and can handle reading or hearing it." One teacher wrote back "She needs REST! REST! REST!" lol! As far as the school's concussion policy...IDK if there is one, but I can ask. I have to email the nurse anyway cuz I have to get the school's insurance information (grumble grumble).

IntenseMagic, jenn mccabe and Dalis like this.
  20. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Thanks so much for tagging me.

cfile likes this.