Concerts

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by weaselwatchr, Oct 5, 2021.

1. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I was just curious what the first concert was that you attended? I just thinking the other day that it's been forever since we have been to one. The first concert I went to was George Strait when I was a freshman in college. My parents were not that into any kind of music so I never went to one when I was younger. I think the last one we went to was Shania Twain. We don't only go to country music ones, it just seems like we have been to those typethe most. We used to live right by the state fair grounds in Indy, so every summer we would go.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  2. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I can't remember if I saw Van Halen first or Alabama, it was probably Alabama.
    I haven't been to a concert in a long time either, and I love them. When I was in college, we went to concerts all the time. My favorite was AC/DC!

gonewiththewind and weaselwatchr like this.
  3. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I haven't been to many concerts (if you don't count my kids' band and choir concerts :giggle). My parents took me with them to see the Carpenters when I was pretty young. I just Googled and it must have been in 1973, so I would have been 5½. I only have very vague blurry memories of it. I think they might have also taken me to see The Oak Ridge Boys later on.

I saw a couple of concerts when I was in high school... Otis Day and the Knights in a small ballroom, and one other larger multi-band concert that I cannot remember which bands it was. In college I saw Journey (1986), and Huey Lewis and the News (1987). Here in Dallas, I saw Genesis in 1992 and Janet Jackson in 1994.

Those are the only ones I remember, although there may have been a couple at state fairs when I was a kid. I did enjoy the concerts I went to, but I'm not a fan of crowds these days, so it would take a lot to get me to go to a big stadium event again.

DH worked for a while before I met him as a stagehand and spotlight operator at a major concert venue in Oklahoma, so he got to see a bunch of them up close, and was even on stage for a few. :)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  4. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

we went to a concert the night before my husband's 30th birthday. He said he couldn't leave his 20s having not attended one. I don't remember the name of the band, I just know that I really struggled with the noise levels. It really stressed out my as then undiagnosed autism.

5. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I have such a bad memory. :(
    It was surely not in childhood or even as a teen because my family didn't do much; my parents were too frugal and introverted.
    I'm pretty sure my husband and I went to a couple concerts in our early years, one of which was the band YES. That was the mid to late 90's. But I might have gone to a concert with my college boyfriend in the early 90's too.
    I'm even more sure I did not go to any concerts except kids music concerts and recitals in the '00s and '10s until I took my daughter to see Pentatonix in 2016. That was in a huge arena in Greenville, South Carolina, and probably the biggest concert I've ever been to. Since then, I've taken her to a few smaller ones.

6. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I saw New Kids on the Block at a Six Flags way back when.... hahaha! I was like 16. I then saw Kenny Rodgers with my parents at PNC Arts Center, an amphitheater ... with my boyfriend at that time, now hubby, while in college.

Who would have thought I live behind PNC now, and it's a regular go to for friends and family for a lot of fun (it's a 5 minute drive). We try to take the boys to at least one a year (not 2020/2021 though) - they've seen Imagine Dragons, Train, and a couple others. We started early, and we get tix pretty inexpensive - $10-$50 usually when they go.

weaselwatchr and Serena like this.
  7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

It's funny that this topic popped up today because we were just talking about this at my parents house on Monday evening. My son wants to go see a Lil Nas X concert on a Tuesday night. He's a senior, but it's a school night, so we told him he couldn't go. He's not happy with us. Oops! He just went to his first concert a few weeks ago and has tickets to another concert in a couple weeks in Chicago, so I guess he's in total concert mode. Lol.

My first concert was to see Sarah McLachlan at a small venue at U of M's campus and it was amazing. I've seen quite a few concerts since then, especially a LOT of Jimmy Buffett concerts when I was a touch younger. :giggle Now I'm more inclined to go see a musical.

8. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I honestly don't remember who I saw but the first "concert" I would have been to would have been at the Ohio State Fair in the early to mid 60's. They always had shows in the grandstand with some really big names at the time. One was James Brown (irritated my dad because he was really late). The King Family were a big attraction as well since they were known from the Lawrence Welk show. Herman's Hermits was probably my favorite though. I saw The Lettermen in concert at a local high school in the early 70's, actually saw them 3 different times. Once I was going to school/living in Toledo (1974-1984), I saw quite a few concerts at the ice arena in town. Favorite had to be Rick Springfield. Also saw Beach Boys, John Cougar (he opened for someone else), Boston and some others. Also saw Barry Manilow when I lived in Toledo. The act I've seen the most though is the Oak Ridge Boys. 3 years straight at the Ohio State Fair in the 90's and then in 2019 at the local convention center. In fact they were the last concert I've been to. With my hearing issues, I don't enjoy concerts anymore.

9. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

First concert I bought tickets for was One Direction they were a 16th b'day gift for my granddaughter. I bought them 12+ months out. For a couple of years we went to multiple concerts together, then she decided that she'd rather go with her friends even if they had to sit in the cheap seats b/c Mimi wasn't paying. :)

I have a ticket to see The Monkees, well Mike and Micky at the Warner Theater on the 18th. This is suppose to be their final tour. I've seen them twice before at the Warner with Natasha. Darn kid refused to go this time.

10. Serena

Serena Squishy soul poet who loves Walter Hunt

I worked for Taco Bell and we had a little stand at The Eagles concert... I worked it because extra money but the only song I liked was Hotel California. My boss let me go watch it when it came on. So that was "technically" the first, but not one I chose nor did I like more than that. lol!

The second was Jewel in a concert hall, but it was just a small her there singing a few songs, nothing big. Albeit she DID call me "Smarty Pants" when she said she couldn't remember a song and I told her I could tell her the words, it was the chords she didn't remember, everyone laughed, including me. hee!

My first "concert" was BTS, I went to it, wanted to, paid for the tickets myself and it was BIG and AMAZING. And I went several more times. hehe

11. sharonb

sharonb Cher Memere

l am really showing my age but Lynnard Skinner & someone else in 75 when I was in high school, the next was Paul McCartney during his wings over America tour in the 70's.

12. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Haha Sharon. I'm going to show my age too - I saw The Beatles before they broke up. They came to the fairgrounds in Indianapolis, IN and we barely got in to the venue. We couldn't even see the stage, but we could say we were there. We had binoculars. LOL

13. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

When I was around 17 I remember going to see a few "Christian" bands. Third Day, Switchfoot and a few others. My hubby and I enjoy going to concerts (he probably enjoys it more than I do). Our fave is NEEDTOBREATHE and Switchfoot (still love them 25 years later). We've missed going to concerts since covid.

14. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I don’t remember which was first - John Denver, Bread, or Shaun Cassidy.

15. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

My favorite had to have been Erasure. Their show was amazing!!! It was such a production and so much fun. Hubby and I also went to see Vanilla Ice when he was big. He was two hours late, and the venue was standing room only, so we were right by the stage. It was lots of fun.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  16. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

[​IMG]

weaselwatchr and IntenseMagic like this.
  17. gonewiththewind

I'm jealous. I loved The Carpenters. When she died I was in 8th grade and in chorus and my chorus teacher was devastated. She already had exposed us to plenty of their songs, and then I got an LP of their greatest hits. I lost track of the LP, but recently replaced it when my hubby refurbished an old phonograph for me. It still takes me back to hear them sing!

weaselwatchr, Memaw2Wm and KimJ like this.
  18. gonewiththewind

One of my first records was a hand-me-down from my mom of The Letterman - I actually had a few of them and listened to them often. I've replaced some of them now that I have a record player again. They have such an amazing sound!

weaselwatchr likes this.
  19. gonewiththewind

As I was growing up, I saw gospel groups singing at my church. I wouldn't call them concerts . . . I mean, most of them had a huge touring bus and the church was always packed out.

As far as secular music goes, my first concert was with my husband when he was still just my boyfriend. A co-worker at Service Merchandise won tickets and gave them to us. It was Heart and Cheap Trick opened. It was NOT our thing. I mean, I liked a few Heart songs, but Cheap Trick was not a fave for either one of us. We were up in the nosebleed section, surrounded by a bunch of drunk boys and one of them ended up getting sick and we moved up a few rows. Still, it was so loud. We were just talking about it the other day because at any point we could have left, but we stayed until the bitter end. Bwahahahaha!

I did buy a t-shirt. Here I am, the day after the concert. I was 20 years old here.

The scrapbook these came out of got water damage, and I had to pull it apart and reassemble in a new album in 2004. When I wrote about the concert, I also wrote that we had not been to another concert together since 1990.

I've been to see Elton John twice, Barry Manilow, Kenny G, Michael Buble twice . . . I think that's it.

PXL_20211007_044037902.jpg

weaselwatchr likes this.
  20. Mrsdudds

Mrsdudds Well-Known Member

The first-ever concert I attended was Catatonia (Catatonia were an alternative rock band from Wales that gained popularity in the mid-to-late 1990s.)

The concert was an open-air concert in a very muddy field because it had rained the day before. I attended with the boyfriend at the time and some friends. We had a good day, listening to the band, riding on the fair rides. Didn't like using the portable toilets on-site though. I can always remember this concert as we travelled to the concert on a coach and the bus driver warned everyone as they got off not to get muddy because if you were covered in mud you weren't getting back on the bus. Throughout the day we watched as lots of concertgoers were sliding and rolling in the mud, and wondered how many wouldn't get back on our coach. When it was time to get him our coach driver did end up leaving a few behind because they were covered head to toe in mud. Luckily we only had muddy shoes so were allowed on.

I can't wait to attend concerts again, I have tickets to see Celine Dion next year in London. It's been postponed twice so keeping my fingers crossed it goes ahead next year.

weaselwatchr likes this.