Completely "newbie" question!

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by KatrinaHunt13, Aug 25, 2017.

1. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

I get clipping masks and how to do it in CC, but how do you do an entire picture over several layers? I am wanting to try this for hybrid!

For example like this on this page from @sucali I am IN LOVE with this page!
    [​IMG]

I have tried to search, but I am sure I am not using the right phrases.

2. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

I think you would need to first merge the layers then clip to the merged layers.

KatrinaHunt13 likes this.
  3. Serena

Serena Squishy soul poet who loves Walter Hunt

You can definitely merge the blocks and do it that way. It's really the easiest. I just recently had one that I'm working on and it had three blocks but I wanted the photo to be ONE so I duplicated the photo on top of itself three times and then clipped them so they'd be in the sides, and then left the duplicated photos behind so it's solid. If that makes sense. Link layers any time you duplicate them when you are using a photo so it's always matched up! :)

4. KatrinaHunt13

@jagruti patel and @Serena ok...I think I am gonna have to practice. It was just blowing my mind on how to do it.

5. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

@KatrinaHunt13 I usually just merge the layers, but remember to copy the layer styles and then clear them before merging. I forgot that once and couldn't figure out why my shadowing went wonky. :cornfused

ForeverJoy and bellbird like this.
  6. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Sometimes I merge the layers but more often than not I duplicate the image and clip it to each one of the layers. Then I select the all the copies of the image and resize it to fit the way I want it.

bellbird and bestcee like this.
  7. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

This is what I do. Make enough copies for each individual shape - and clip them individually. This way if I change my mind about the design or anything- it's easy to undo. Tip: once you make all the copies LOCK them - so you don't move one of the images inadvertently (because then they won't all line up and look pretty). I imagine from a hybrid point of view it might be easier to leave them as individual pieces for cutting with your machine? But not sure.

cfile likes this.
  8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Yep, I duplicate the image, not merge the shape. For me, it's a shadowing thing. And sometimes I shift the duplicated photo so it doesn't cut off weirdly on faces.and then link the layers once I have them just right.

cfile and bellbird like this.
  9. KatrinaHunt13

OK, I just "played" because my head isn't into making a page right now and I think I have it figured out. It definitely takes the "right kind" of picture! LOL

To print for hybrid, I will probably just move all the layers to a separate "page" and then drag it into silhouette and use print and cut.

thanks for the help....my brain is just foggy and I cannot think thru things right now!

bestcee, bellbird and Tree City like this.
  10. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

@KatrinaHunt13 I forgot you do hybrid pages. Yeah, you definitely are going to have to play around and figure out what works best for you. Thankfully you've got a few options! I'm sure your page will be gorgeous, no matter how you do it!

11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

yep i lock them while everything else gets piled on and moved around the page, and unlock if i need to shift things a bit or tweak shadows - it's a cool effect though and i stared at that page by Sucali for ages too ;)

12. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I duplicate the image and clip to each shape.. just grab photo (after clipping to first shape) with the alt key held down and slide the photo up on the next shape, clip and continue until all the shapes are filled :)