Comfort Food

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Tree City, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Tree City

Tree City I'm such a bad eugoogoolizer

For dinner we're having pasta and with red sauce and oodles of freshly grated Parmesan cheese ... and I'm going to have like 4 Reese's PB Pumpkins for dessert. It just seems like the right day for comfort food here.

What about? What's your favorite comfort food(s)? Maybe you'll give someone a little inspiration for their dinner/snack/whatever time of day cuz ANY time is the right time for food.
    [​IMG]

2. Tree City

So for me, basically anything chocolatey and peanut buttery is a comfort food. And donuts.

Also, cheesy hash brown potato casserole. My grandma always made it for our family holidays we held at my aunt and uncle's cottage. Anyway, that casserole just reminds me of family fun, which in itself is a comfort. DH made it for dinner Saturday. It was a great side dish for the pork he cooked in the smoker for 10 hours!
    [​IMG]

3. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Fled Gallifrey in my police box

My mom's meatloaf with a side of real mashed potatoes and buttered corn. Fresh baked brownies or a bowl of coffee ice cream are my sweet side comfort foods.

cfile, Angela Toucan and Tree City like this.
  4. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic my house is protected by killer dust bunnies

Macaroni and cheese. Homemade and baked.
    Oh, and hashbrown casserole.
    And the chicken casserole I just put in the frig to cook tomorrow night.
    Yummm

cfile and Tree City like this.
  5. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom Practically Perfect in Every Way

Any food that I'm not allowed to eat, and the list is huge. Seriously.

But I did discover gluten- and dairy-free mac and cheese the other week, and it's made with everything that I'm allowed to eat. Woohoo! It's a two-serving box, but I usually eat it all in one sitting. I'm just that thrilled to be eating mac & cheese again.

6. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns It's a great day to have a great day!

I had crabmeat for dinner tonight. It tasted so fresh and good. We hadn't had it for awhile. DD and GS had mac & cheese. That seems to be a regular comfort food around here.

Tree City likes this.
  7. Tree City

OMG y'all are mentioning Mac n Cheese and I can't believe I forgot it! LOOOOOVE it. It actually really bums out DH cuz the kids hate homemade MnC. They'll only eat "Kraft blue box," as they call it. No other brand and no other type of Kraft MnC. Sigh. DH has some awesome MnC recipes. Some are fancy but some are simple--not as simple as Kraft lol, but still, the kids should like them. He'll make it when he is craving it, but he makes sure to have sides that the kids approve of so they at least have something on the table that they approve of lol!

cfile likes this.
  8. kimingvtx

kimingvtx Sappy happy ending? Sign me up!

I hosted Bunco tonight and served comfort food. We had 5 cheese macaroni and cheese, meatballs, yummy salad, and a chocolate layered dessert.

9. littlekiwi

littlekiwi Discovering my arty side

Mashed Potatoes, hot fresh white bread, pasta

jk703 and Tree City like this.
  10. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Clowning around

I'm all about keto. I made these fatbombs today. One kind peanut butter , cream cheese, sweetener and rolled in dark chocolate...too die for!!

Tree City likes this.
  11. littlekiwi

littlekiwi Discovering my arty side

Tree City likes this.
  12. bestcee

bestcee No pictures? Use your imagination!

Buffalo Chicken Strips with good ranch, and preferably shredded hashbrowns.
    I know, odd. My other comfort food is a Coke Slurpee and Cheetos - because I worked at 7-11 during high school, and that was my go to snack!

Tree City likes this.
  13. jk703

jk703 Polly Pollyana

Hmmm... all food? :giggle

It really depends if I want to cook or not... and if it's for me or my family! I love some Disco Fries, Shrimp Corn Chowder, omlettes/breakfast food/taylor ham, egg & cheese and a mix of appetizer like foods. I'm weird. Comfort food generally is cozy warm food to me, rather than I'm an emotional mess kind of food. For that, chocolate. :)

Karen and Tree City like this.
  14. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

I'd have to say roast and mashed potatoes is my comfort food - it brings back a lot of good memories of family at the dinner table on Sundays. For sweet comfort foods my go to is ice cream. I think I could eat ice cream every day if I could do so and not gain weight!

15. tkradtke

tkradtke Smokin' the place up

I honestly have no clue... most of my comfort foods contain a lot of dairy and now we rarely have dairy. I couple of years ago, I would have said baked mac & cheese or cheesy hashbrown casserole. Now I'm not so sure.

BUT... if Clara and/or I are having a bad day, we go to 7-11 for Dr. Pepper and Peanut Butter M&Ms.... that combo can cure about anything :giggle

Karen, bestcee and Tree City like this.
  16. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Lord have mercy. Food. It's my comfort all the time - whether I'm happy or sad. The only times I haven't ever wanted to eat was after having Olivia and I was exhausted and couldn't think straight and didn't want to eat OR when I have that bacterial infection earlier this year and that's when I knew how sick I was because I didn't want to eat. LOL

At the top of the list: my mom's fried chicken. I love it fresh or the next day from the fridge cold. She makes an amazing strawberry cake that I love.

Everyday comforts, though, are snacks of all kinds. Chips of any kind but I love Ruffles with Dean french onion dip. Little Debbie Nutty Buddy bars.

I also love grilled cheese with tomato soup, dumplings, potato soup, any kind of fresh bread and butter . . .

I've got to leave this thread. LOL

bestcee, Heidi Nicole and Tree City like this.
  17. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe Boo-yah to the teenagers!

Yum, this thread is making me hungry. The weather just turned a whole lot cooler, overcast and rainy the last few days. I made a Minestrone soup w/salad one night and then also with grilled cheese the next night since we had so much left over soup. I try to make a homemade soup every week when the weather is cooler. I also love to make pot pies.

cfile, bellbird and Tree City like this.
  18. Heidi Nicole

Heidi Nicole Well-Known Member

Hmmm... first of all, I love food. All food. Seriously... ALL food. But, as far as comfort food... I'd have to say peanut M&M's, mac & cheese (says the gluten free girl...), and chili. It just warms my soul... but, again, I will be comforted by whatever food is available. ;)

Tree City likes this.
  19. Tree City

Hey, invite us next time, will ya? ;) Sounds like y'all had a fun time with lots of yummy foods!

Oooh, that's a good one. You'd think "bread" would just be "bread," but you're totally right: hot fresh white bread has this quality to it that is so delicious!

Umm, I haven't heard of these but now I'm obsessed with the idea and want to make them!

You worked at a 7-11? I'd legit have just walked around eating stuff all shift! Like, my whole paycheck would go towards Slurpees and Reese's PB cups!

20. MiekSter

MiekSter We only regret the chances we didn't take

It's difficult to explain typically Dutch meals/cheats in another language...
    But what I LOVE are 'stroopwafels' it's a thin waffle, with 'stroop' (sirup?!?) in the middle. When you put in on your cup of coffee it get's warm and the sirup is thinner and almost flows out of it when you take a bite... On markets you can buy large ones, I cannot walk by without taking one

Stroopwafels.jpg.png

Beckie, jesskab, Karen and 2 others like this.