**Closed ** Technique Slow Scrap | Thursday March 30 @ 4pm EDT/1pm PDT

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by mocamom, Mar 30, 2023.

1. mocamom

mocamom Runs on coffee. And with scissors.

Welcome to this Technique Slow Scrap. I’m so excited to host another chat and slow scrap and hope you find this useful and fun. We are talking about quick things you can do to text to make it stand out on your layouts. I’ve got four different techniques, and all of them are fast and easy! I'll "see" you in a few minutes and use this thread to post the instructions as we go! Grab a coffee (I am!) or some tea / water / wine / your beverage of choice hehe and we will start in a few :)

Okay here we go! First one:

Text Outline
    See this layout by @Claire Grantham
    [​IMG]

Text outlines are fun to make, and you can repeat them on the page like Claire did, or just use it once – totally flexible. Here are the steps we went over.
    1. Type text
    2. Add stroke (make it bigger or smaller depending on the look you like)
    3. Lower Fill to 0
    4. With text selected, right click and select Rasterize Layer Style if desired so you can add shadows and other styles.

Vellum Text
    You can make vellum looking titles to like I did in this layout using Change Your Life by NBK Design. [​IMG]

Playing around with the fill and blend modes can really give you different effects!
    1. Type your text and change the color to white
    2. Reduce the fill to 50%
    3. Add a white stroke and potentially a tiny shadow if you like
    4. Now change the blend mode from Normal to Overlay

Cut Out Text
    Another fun one is taking your text and cutting it away from your paper like @EllenT did here:
    [​IMG]

It’s easy to do so hopefully I’m explaining it well with these steps:
    1. Add paper
    2. Type Text
    3. Place paper that you want showing under your text layer
    4. Click on the text while holding the Ctrl (Command on Mac) button to get marching ants
    5. Select the top paper layer and delete the text (pressing delete while you have the marching ants)
    6. Repeat as many times as desired
    7. You can add shadow to cut paper if you like that look

Photo Filled Text
    I find that creating a large text spot and filling it with photos is a quick way to make a stand out page! Here’s my example using Hear My Voice 11 Growing collab by Rachel Jefferies & Lynn Grieveson: [​IMG]

Here’s what I did to make this page:
    1. Type Text in bold, upper case letters (Bebas Neue is a great one and it’s free HERE!) https://www.dafont.com/bebas-neue.font
    2. Group all the text together
    3. Add large photo and clip to the group
    4. Add stroke or shadow to group as desired

As you can see, all of these are super fast and hopefully fun. Your challenge is to pick one of these and create a brand new layout before the Slow Scrap ends on 3/31/23 at 5:00 PM EST. Please post your completed layout in The Lilypad gallery and don’t forget about the gallery rules: Layouts must contain at least 50% TLP products (Templates count as 15%). Uploads must be less than 250k. List all credits; no off-site linking allowed.

I can’t wait to see what y’all come up with and remember to have fun!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
    Karen, Angela Toucan and umyesh like this.
  2. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

Caffeine not kicked in yet, ha

[​IMG]

3. mocamom

WOW!!!! You did great on ALL of them. And you went above and beyond the instructions and used all of them. That's awesome!!! Great layout!

Cath_ likes this.
  4. sharonb

sharonb Cher Memere

Sorry I missed your chat-grandson duty of course! Thanks for sharing these techniques. Several I haven't done and can't wait to try!

5. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

I love these fast and easy techniques - thanks so much. I used the Photo filled text.
    [​IMG]

6. tiffany scraps

tiffany scraps still plays outside

I love these ideas. Going to have to try the other suggestions in the future. Thanks for the challenge.
    [​IMG]

7. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

8. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

This is a great selection of fun text techniques! :agree

9. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I didn't get a new page made so I just added a title to an old one. I had never added a stroke to the vellum effect so I wanted to see the difference. Thanks for reminding me to play with text Robin!
    [​IMG]

10. mocamom

Thank y'all so much for playing with my slow scrap. I hope you had fun and maybe, possibly, hopefully try these tricks sometime again! Sending you a PM @tiffany scraps @Cath_ and @Janisn!! Thank y'all @umyesh & @marijke too for playing along. I love every single one of these layouts!

umyesh likes this.