*CLOSED* Hybrid Foundation Pages Challenge | DYD 2019

Discussion in 'Document Your December Layouts' started by lcpereyra, Nov 12, 2019.

1. lcpereyra

lcpereyra You won't believe my blue streak!

Hello and welcome to the Document Your December Challenges! I am happy to host one of this year’s hybrid challenges.

In short, your challenge is to create hybrid foundation pages for a December memories album using digital and physical products.
    • Your foundation pages must be printed out so they can go into an album or binder.
    • You need to have papers, journal cards and/or elements that you printed, cut and pasted.
    • You should create a minimum of 4 hybrid pages to qualify for the $3 prize.
    I started out as a paper and scissors scrapbooker many years ago - almost 2 decades ago!, and while I love the ease and non-messiness of digital scrapbooking, to this day, I still love the sensory experience of traditional scrapbooking. I love the textures and craftiness and getting my hands involved in creating. More often now, I tend to make hybrid creations over pure traditional or digital pages as I love blending both styles - the physical craftiness with instant digital manipulation. I can get whatever supplies I want from the digital world, no matter the hour, and change the colors, size, shapes, adding, and deleting parts with the quick click of my computer. What’s not to love?! :)

For years now I have kept a yearly family scrapbook, ebbing and flowing between a weekly project life style and monthly in review formats. And every year I create a special mini album to record my family’s holiday memories and traditions. There is something about the excitement and magic of the holidays that brings a renewed sense of life and desire to preserve our activities this time of year. Add in the fabulous holiday scrapbooking products and designs available every year ... and I’m inspired and excited to create!

While many people document their December days by creating a monthly album with a new layout or story each day, I’ve never been able to follow through with that format. For a variety or reasons, including the fact that my days get boring with my kids in school, my everyday life is recorded in the project life style albums, I prefer a “themed” holiday event only album, and my holiday activities start at Thanksgiving and not on December 1, I’ve instead always chosen to document my family’s holiday traditions, celebrations and memories in a special album. What we do directly related the holidays and what makes this time of year so wonderful to me, is what I document in my holiday memories album. This approach makes the project meaningful to me with less pressure as I don’t have to force myself to find a story to document each and every day. It works for me. :)

We still do quite a bit over the holidays that I want to document. So to make it easier on me and to try and keep a cohesive looking mini album, I create foundation pages ahead of time. Then as the month of December rolls along, I can easily add in photos, short notes and details to the album. I love starting to get in the holiday spirit a bit early and creating when I have a bit more down time so it is relaxed and enjoyable. This year, I made foundation pages for 2 different albums - one is a 4x6” album and the other is a 4.25x8.25” traveler’s notebook album. They will be used to house older photos from the early 2000’s so I can add those years to my December memories mini album collection. :)

Finally, one of the (many) things I love about using digital products for hybrid projects is the completely different looks you can get from the same kits!
    Here are my albums and foundation pages that I made:
    ddhybridprojectphotos-5.jpg

ddhybridprojectphotos-4.jpg

These are my supplies that I used for the red album:
    ddhybridprojectphotos-2.jpg
    ddhybridprojectphotos-3.jpg

Here are the journal and filler cards from the kits above for my album that I printed. Some of them I printed on a laser printer and used my minc machine for the foiling.
    ddhybridprojectphotos-1.jpg

And here are images of my foundation pages. It is difficult to see in the photos, but in between the filler card pages are empty 4x6" pocket protectors where I will add in my photos. With 2 photos per page protector, I'll fit in about 48 photos! I can also add in photo pocket protectors if I want to include additional photos. ddhybridprojectphotos-6.jpg ddhybridprojectphotos-7.jpg ddhybridprojectphotos-8.jpg ddhybridprojectphotos-9.jpg

My Traveler's Notebook Foundation Pages are in the next post. :)

I hope you get inspired and have a great time with this challenge!

Important: This challenge will close on Monday, November 18th at midnight EST. Regular Gallery rules apply: layouts must contain at least 50% TLP products. There will be a random winner selected who will win a $3 gift certificate to TLP. Post your project images to this thread to be included in the random drawing.

{continued in next post}

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    umyesh, Karen and norton94 like this.
  2. lcpereyra

lcpereyra You won't believe my blue streak!

DYD 2019 Foundation Hybrid Challenge Examples, continued....

Here is the 2nd foundation album I created in a Traveler's Notebook, using the same kits as listed above in my first post (yet it is a completely different look!).

These are the digital supplies I used. They were either cut with my Cricut machine or cut by hand. Also, some were printed on a laser printer and foiled with my Minc machine.
    ddhybridprojectphotos-15.jpg

These are the journal cards, so are from the kits and some were created using elements from the kits. Also these are the papers I used in the Traveler's Notebook. I printed the cards on cardstock and the papers on copier paper to reduce the bulk of the book. Because it is a stapled book (which ended up needing me to sew a better binding), bulk of the album is an issue. So I used mostly flat, printed elements to keep it manageable.
    ddhybridprojectphotos-14.jpg

And here are the inside pages, ready for me to add photos and details. I left the journaling cards off many of the pages and will adhere them when I'm ready to document. I do this because of my tendency to get sloppy with my handwriting and don't want to mess up a page. If I add the journal card after it is written, I avoid a great deal of irritation! ;) While handwriting is a key feature of albums that I love - I feel like it adds a wonderful memory and personal connection - I have to plan for mistakes because I make them. :) I am using clear photo flips on some of the pages. I'm hoping this will allow me to add in my journal cards and a photo, while maintaining a cleaner/streamlined look to the album. They are interactive as the viewer has to lift them up to see what is underneath, which I like. It's my first time using them in a TN and I think they'll work out well for this project.
    ddhybridprojectphotos-10.jpg
    ddhybridprojectphotos-11.jpg
    ddhybridprojectphotos-12.jpg
    ddhybridprojectphotos-13.jpg

Again, I hope you take on this hybrid challenge, embrace it, and have fun! Happy Holidays and warm wishes for wonderful December Memories!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    umyesh, mcurtt, Karen and 1 other person like this.
  3. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I love all your inspiration! I decided to try this out and make a book to put our Christmas cards in after I'm done displaying them. I made my book 5x7 since our cards this year are 5x7. I didn't have time to figure out print and cut so I used my digi products for the background papers and as cut files with my cutting machine. Thanks for helping me stretch my stash and practice using my cutting machine!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    lcpereyra likes this.
  4. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Wow, these are stunning beyond words. !!!!!!! What a treasure.

lcpereyra likes this.